Re: Perl Clips (was [NRN One-liner replace "rwsa" CLIP crash)

  • silvermoonwoman2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2002
      --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:

      > Here's my Perl solution to the problem. It is blazingly
      > fast even on my PII 267 mhz Win98 laptop.

      Alec,

      I haven't made much progress learning Perl. But you may be
      interested in my test of your Perl solution vs. the Looping clip.

      1.2Ghz Athlon, 256MB memory

      number of lines in test file, including blank lines: 10561
      after clip or script: 26401

      Using Loop clip
      End 22:02:04
      Beg 21:52:59
      total time 9 minutes 3 seconds

      Using Perl Script
      End 22:11:23
      Beg 22:11:06
      total time 17 seconds

      BTW I had to modify the loop clip slightly, so that it produced
      identical output and also eliminated unneeded variables. With
      unneeded variables it ran out of memory after processing all but the
      last 300 lines. I also modified both solutions to record the start
      and end times.