Re: [Clip] EBCDIC 2 ASCII

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2002
      Hi Anthony,

      >Does anybody have a way to get at the ebcdic/ascii translator.
      >Sometimes I need to decipher mainframe droppings on the fly and
      >it works to save the file with a cbl extension and export/inport
      >it but I'd rather just use a clip.

      Perhaps the following will help:

      ^!LoadEbcdicCharTable FileName (added in v4.6)
      Loads the specified file containing the EBCDIC character tables
      for conversion to and from Windows ANSI. The NoteTab program path
      is added if you do not specify a fully qualified path name. The
      extension .ebc is added if you do not specify a filename
      extension. You can reset the default character table by
      specifying the Default.ebc file.

      ^!OpenEbcdic FileName [/W=nnn] (added in v4.6)
      or
      ^!OpenEbcdic FileName1;FileName2;FileName3 (added in v4.6)
      Opens and translates the text from EBCDIC format to ANSI, or
      selects the specified document "FileName". You can use wild cards
      with this command. The optional parameter "/W=nnn" can be used to
      define a line length for fixed-width EBCDIC files. "nnn"
      represents the width in characters; a value of 0 indicates
      variable line lengths delimited with carriage returns. Example:
      ^!OpenEbcdic /W=132

      ^!SaveEbcdic FileName [/W=nnn] (added in v4.6)
      Similar to the ^!Save command (and accepts the same parameters)
      but saves the document in EBCDIC format. The optional parameter
      "/W=nnn" can be used to define a line length for fixed-width
      EBCDIC files. "nnn" represents the width in characters; a value
      of 0 indicates variable line lengths delimited with carriage
      returns. Example: ^!SaveEbcdic /W=132

      ^!Export "FileName" [ASCII|ANSI][MAC|UNIX][SELECTION|ALL][HARDBREAKS]
      or
      ^!Export "FileName" [EBCDIC][SELECTION|ALL][LRECL=nnn] (added in
      v4.6) Exports current document under specified file name.
      Optional settings are used to define output format. Use a comma
      or colon to separate multiple settings and use double quotes
      around the file name if it contain spaces. When creating EBCDIC
      files, you can optionally define a record length (for fixed-width
      lines) by using the LRECL parameter followed by an equal sign and
      the width value.

      http://www.notetab.net

    • Jackson, Anthony, ISD
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2002
        Thanks Jody but I was looking for more of an "on screen" solution...
        Let's say I can cut and paste the output as mis-interpreted ebcdic. It
        would look like this...

        AaAA

        which is what I would see if I were to save it to a file and open it as
        normal ascii text. But if I change its name to *.cbl and use the import
        from ebcdic function it looks like...

        CSCA

        Simply put, I'd like to highlight the "AaAA", run a clip and see in its
        place "CSCA"

        >Does anybody have a way to get at the ebcdic/ascii translator.
        >Sometimes I need to decipher mainframe droppings on the fly and
        >it works to save the file with a cbl extension and export/inport
        >it but I'd rather just use a clip.

        Perhaps the following will help:

        ^!LoadEbcdicCharTable FileName (added in v4.6)
        Loads the specified file containing the EBCDIC character tables
        for conversion to and from Windows ANSI. The NoteTab program path
        is added if you do not specify a fully qualified path name. The
        extension .ebc is added if you do not specify a filename
        extension. You can reset the default character table by
        specifying the Default.ebc file.

        ^!OpenEbcdic FileName [/W=nnn] (added in v4.6)
        or
        ^!OpenEbcdic FileName1;FileName2;FileName3 (added in v4.6)
        Opens and translates the text from EBCDIC format to ANSI, or
        selects the specified document "FileName". You can use wild cards
        with this command. The optional parameter "/W=nnn" can be used to
        define a line length for fixed-width EBCDIC files. "nnn"
        represents the width in characters; a value of 0 indicates
        variable line lengths delimited with carriage returns. Example:
        ^!OpenEbcdic /W=132

        ^!SaveEbcdic FileName [/W=nnn] (added in v4.6)
        Similar to the ^!Save command (and accepts the same parameters)
        but saves the document in EBCDIC format. The optional parameter
        "/W=nnn" can be used to define a line length for fixed-width
        EBCDIC files. "nnn" represents the width in characters; a value
        of 0 indicates variable line lengths delimited with carriage
        returns. Example: ^!SaveEbcdic /W=132

        ^!Export "FileName" [ASCII|ANSI][MAC|UNIX][SELECTION|ALL][HARDBREAKS]
        or
        ^!Export "FileName" [EBCDIC][SELECTION|ALL][LRECL=nnn] (added in
        v4.6) Exports current document under specified file name.
        Optional settings are used to define output format. Use a comma
        or colon to separate multiple settings and use double quotes
        around the file name if it contain spaces. When creating EBCDIC
        files, you can optionally define a record length (for fixed-width
        lines) by using the LRECL parameter followed by an equal sign and
        the width value.

        http://www.notetab.net

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify
        the sender immediately. The contents of this e-mail do not amend
        any existing disclosures or agreements unless expressly stated.
      • Jackson, Anthony, ISD
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2002
          of course, the email browser is going to kill the diacritical marks from
          the A characters in this post...

          *****
          If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify
          the sender immediately. The contents of this e-mail do not amend
          any existing disclosures or agreements unless expressly stated.
        • silvermoonwoman2001
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2002
            --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Jackson, Anthony, ISD" <ajackson886@w...>
            wrote:
            > of course, the email browser is going to kill the diacritical marks
            from
            > the A characters in this post...

            Hi Anthony,

            I don't have any ebcdic to test <g> but try the following clip. If
            it works ok, you could change the end to comment out the ^!Info
            command and remove the comment from the ^!Paste command. Then the
            translated text would just get pasted into the ascii document from
            which the clip was launched.

            H="Clipboard Ebcdic Xlator"
            ;Prior to using, copy ebcdic data to the clipboard
            ^!Set %Curdoc%=^$GetDocIndex$
            ^!SetScreenUpdate off
            ^!Menu Edit/Paste New
            ^!SaveEbcdic C:\Mydata\EbcdicBuf.cbl
            ^!Close C:\Mydata\EbcdicBuf.cbl
            ^!OpenEbcdic C:\Mydata\EbcdicBuf.cbl
            ^!SetClipboard $GetText$
            ^!Close C:\Mydata\EbcdicBuf.cbl
            ^!SetDocIndex ^%Curdoc%
            ^!Info Translation is $GetClipboard$
            ;^!Paste

            **

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 10, 2002
              --- In ntb-clips@y..., "silvermoonwoman2001" <silvermoonwoman@c...>
              wrote:

              Some thoughts about the clip: ^!SaveEbcdic may not be what you want
              because the the initial data is already ebcidic. Also, if you have
              spaces in your path or file name you will probably need quotes around
              the file names. Finally it would probably be a good idea to delete
              the EbcidicBuf.cbl so it won't exist next time the clip is used.

              Here is a possible alternative to my earlier proposal:

              H="Alternate Clipboard Ebcdic Xlator"
              ;Prior to using, copy ebcdic data to the clipboard
              ^!Set %Curdoc%=^$GetDocIndex$
              ^!SetScreenUpdate off
              ^!TexttoFile "C:My Documents\EbcidicBuf.cbl" $GetClipboard$
              ^!OpenEbcdic "C:My Documents\EbcidicBuf.cbl"
              ^!SetClipboard $GetText$
              ^!DestroyDoc "C:My Documents\EbcidicBuf.cbl"