Re: [Clip] Regular Expression Question

  • silvermoonwoman2001
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
      --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:

      > > Very succinct regex from Hugo
      > >
      > > This should also work:
      > >
      > > ^(\d+(\.|\/)?)+

      Yes, but it also finds IP addresses ;)
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
        Sherri,

        Yes I tried, and both Hugo's and Peter's regexps do find IP addresses.

        They both also appear to find any pattern of numbers separated by periods.

        Try them on this string:

        169123.59.23.10.99.23.343

        Larry

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 6, 2002
          1) Yes, but only at the beginning of a line.
          2) LH want's a regex to find dates at the beginning of a line and if he
          knows his files do not contain any other strings of this kind at the
          beginning of a line then great.
          4) Yes, it also finds IP addresses! - reusable code!
          5) That's regex - it can be both a no.10 spanner and a monkey wrench -
          both will turn a no.10 nut but one will also turn a no.14 nut - depends
          how accurate you want to be and as NTs regex is not as advanced as say
          Perl's or others that have closures such that you can state exact
          numbers of items you want to find, I find the simpler more elegant
          solutions have to be a bit of a loose fit.

        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 6, 2002
            Next year (v5.0 w/Perl) this works for dates only, not IP
            addresses) Right?

            should match:
            05.1.3 words ...
            05/06/83 words ...

            and maybe(not sure how this would parse):
            030498 or this
            123 words ...

            but not
            1.3.4.6 words ...

            or do I have round and curly brackets reversed?

            Regards ... Alec

            <silvermoonwoman@...>