Re: [Clip] Regular Expression Question

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
      Sherri,

      > I didn't know a "^" could be used inside parentheses. Seems to work
      > tho.

      I was not clear on this either. I find that part of working with the regexp
      engine in NoteTab is more trial and error than I would like. I am not sure
      if it is me, or if I need better explanation in help, or more examples.

      It is sort of like calculus way back in college, I understood the examples
      in class and in the book, but there was never an example like the complexity
      of the homework problems. This whole thread has really helped, especially
      since it is a real-world problem.

      Larry
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
        Peter,

        Thanks! Now there are six reg exps for what I want.

        That's a different challenge, who has the shortest? ;-)

        Larry

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
          --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:

          > > Very succinct regex from Hugo
          > >
          > > This should also work:
          > >
          > > ^(\d+(\.|\/)?)+

          Yes, but it also finds IP addresses ;)
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
            Sherri,

            Yes I tried, and both Hugo's and Peter's regexps do find IP addresses.

            They both also appear to find any pattern of numbers separated by periods.

            Try them on this string:

            169123.59.23.10.99.23.343

            Larry

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 6, 2002
              1) Yes, but only at the beginning of a line.
              2) LH want's a regex to find dates at the beginning of a line and if he
              knows his files do not contain any other strings of this kind at the
              beginning of a line then great.
              4) Yes, it also finds IP addresses! - reusable code!
              5) That's regex - it can be both a no.10 spanner and a monkey wrench -
              both will turn a no.10 nut but one will also turn a no.14 nut - depends
              how accurate you want to be and as NTs regex is not as advanced as say
              Perl's or others that have closures such that you can state exact
              numbers of items you want to find, I find the simpler more elegant
              solutions have to be a bit of a loose fit.

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 6, 2002
                Next year (v5.0 w/Perl) this works for dates only, not IP
                addresses) Right?

                should match:
                05.1.3 words ...
                05/06/83 words ...

                and maybe(not sure how this would parse):
                030498 or this
                123 words ...

                but not
                1.3.4.6 words ...

                or do I have round and curly brackets reversed?

                Regards ... Alec

                <silvermoonwoman@...>