Re: [Clip] Regular Expression Question

  • lm_hamilton
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
      Ben,

      Thanks, again!

      Larry

      --- In ntb-clips@y..., Ben Barnet <zefo@a...> wrote:
      > Ben Barnet wrote:
      >
      > > Will this do what you want?
      > >
      > > ^!Find (^(\d\d)|(\d)\.\d\d\.\d\d)|(^(\d\d)|(\d)\/\d\d/\d\d) R
      >
      > This worked on my test file also;
      >
      > ^!Find (^(\d\d)|(\d)(\.)|(\/)\d\d(\.)|(\/)\d\d) R
      >
      > HTH
      > Ben
    • lm_hamilton
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
        Hugo, Peter, Ben,

        Thanks for all the tips. I now have 5 reg exps that do what I want. I
        have not done much with them before, but this is one situation that a
        reg exp is much simpler than all the ways a clip would have to do it.

        Larry

        --- In ntb-clips@y..., h.paulissen@f... wrote:
        > Larry, Peter, Ben,
        >

        > > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)
        > >

        > Apparently there is a difference in the handling of the following
        (at least
        > to me this has nothing to do with the #12 beta release since this
        occurs in
        > my regular bversion of NoteTab as well):
        >
        > \d\d? - finds 0
        > \d?\d - does not find 0
        >
        > I do not know why there is a difference...
        >
        > For what it's worth:
        >
        > I would find the date (with or without leading zero) with the
        following
        > expression:
        >
        > ^\d+((\.|\/)\d+)+
        >

        > Regards,
        >
        > Hugo
      • lm_hamilton
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
          Hi Eric,

          I sort of figured that. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of
          it, in the off chance there was something you could do. At least I
          have at least 5 reg exps that will do what I want out of all this.

          Larry

          --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
          > Hi Larry,
          >
          > >This does not work like above or my other post. It may be an issue
          with Beta
          > >12. I will forward this to Eric. I could not get that to work
          either with
          > >the find dialog or the ^!Find command.
          > >
          > > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)
          >
          > Unfortunately, this appears to be linked to the closure problem
          reported
          > earlier in beta testing. The bug is deep in the regex engine, which
          is
          > developed by a third party company. There is not much I can do
          about this.
          > I have already decided to use a different Perl-based regex engine
          in the
          > next major release of NoteTab...
          >

          > Regards,
          > Eric G.V. Fookes
          > Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Album Express
          > http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/

        • silvermoonwoman2001
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
            Hi guys,

            I think when using a regex pattern that can find zero occurrences of
            something it needs to be found next to something more definite. So
            to me it makes sense that "\d?" by itself won't find anything,
            while "\d\d?" finds one or two adjacent digits.

            I just tested "\d?\d" and discovered it finds two (and only two)
            adjacent digits, which comes as a surprise to me. If it were
            evaluated from left to right, the \d? would make it find neither one
            nor two adjacent digits and it would just fail outright.

            I didn't know a "^" could be used inside parentheses. Seems to work
            tho.

            Sheri

            --- In ntb-clips@y..., h.paulissen@f... wrote:
            > Larry, Peter, Ben,
            >

            > > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)
            > >

            > Apparently there is a difference in the handling of the following
            (at least
            > to me this has nothing to do with the #12 beta release since this
            occurs in
            > my regular bversion of NoteTab as well):
            >
            > \d\d? - finds 0
            > \d?\d - does not find 0
            >
            > I do not know why there is a difference...
            >
            > For what it's worth:
            >
            > I would find the date (with or without leading zero) with the
            following
            > expression:
            >
            > ^\d+((\.|\/)\d+)+
            >

            > Regards,
            >
            > Hugo
          • Peter Stagg
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
              Very succinct regex from Hugo

              This should also work:

              ^(\d+(\.|\/)?)+

            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
                Sherri,

                > I didn't know a "^" could be used inside parentheses. Seems to work
                > tho.

                I was not clear on this either. I find that part of working with the regexp
                engine in NoteTab is more trial and error than I would like. I am not sure
                if it is me, or if I need better explanation in help, or more examples.

                It is sort of like calculus way back in college, I understood the examples
                in class and in the book, but there was never an example like the complexity
                of the homework problems. This whole thread has really helped, especially
                since it is a real-world problem.

                Larry
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
                  Peter,

                  Thanks! Now there are six reg exps for what I want.

                  That's a different challenge, who has the shortest? ;-)

                  Larry

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
                    --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:

                    > > Very succinct regex from Hugo
                    > >
                    > > This should also work:
                    > >
                    > > ^(\d+(\.|\/)?)+

                    Yes, but it also finds IP addresses ;)
                  • Larry Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
                      Sherri,

                      Yes I tried, and both Hugo's and Peter's regexps do find IP addresses.

                      They both also appear to find any pattern of numbers separated by periods.

                      Try them on this string:

                      169123.59.23.10.99.23.343

                      Larry

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 6, 2002
                        1) Yes, but only at the beginning of a line.
                        2) LH want's a regex to find dates at the beginning of a line and if he
                        knows his files do not contain any other strings of this kind at the
                        beginning of a line then great.
                        4) Yes, it also finds IP addresses! - reusable code!
                        5) That's regex - it can be both a no.10 spanner and a monkey wrench -
                        both will turn a no.10 nut but one will also turn a no.14 nut - depends
                        how accurate you want to be and as NTs regex is not as advanced as say
                        Perl's or others that have closures such that you can state exact
                        numbers of items you want to find, I find the simpler more elegant
                        solutions have to be a bit of a loose fit.

                      • Alec Burgess
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 6, 2002
                          Next year (v5.0 w/Perl) this works for dates only, not IP
                          addresses) Right?

                          should match:
                          05.1.3 words ...
                          05/06/83 words ...

                          and maybe(not sure how this would parse):
                          030498 or this
                          123 words ...

                          but not
                          1.3.4.6 words ...

                          or do I have round and curly brackets reversed?

                          Regards ... Alec

                          <silvermoonwoman@...>