RE: [Clip] Regular Expression Question

  • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
      Larry, Peter, Ben,

      > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)

      Apparently there is a difference in the handling of the following (at least
      to me this has nothing to do with the #12 beta release since this occurs in
      my regular bversion of NoteTab as well):

      \d\d? - finds 0
      \d?\d - does not find 0

      I do not know why there is a difference...

      For what it's worth:

      I would find the date (with or without leading zero) with the following
      expression:

      ^\d+((\.|\/)\d+)+

      Regards,

      Hugo
    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
        Hi Larry,

        >This does not work like above or my other post. It may be an issue with Beta
        >12. I will forward this to Eric. I could not get that to work either with
        >the find dialog or the ^!Find command.
        >
        > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)

        Unfortunately, this appears to be linked to the closure problem reported
        earlier in beta testing. The bug is deep in the regex engine, which is
        developed by a third party company. There is not much I can do about this.
        I have already decided to use a different Perl-based regex engine in the
        next major release of NoteTab...

        Regards,
        Eric G.V. Fookes

      • lm_hamilton
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
          Ben,

          Thanks, that finds it also.

          Larry

          --- In ntb-clips@y..., Ben Barnet <zefo@a...> wrote:
          > Will this do what you want?
          >
          > ^!Find (^(\d\d)|(\d)\.\d\d\.\d\d)|(^(\d\d)|(\d)\/\d\d/\d\d) R
          >
          > HTH
          > Ben
        • lm_hamilton
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
            Ben,

            Thanks, again!

            Larry

            --- In ntb-clips@y..., Ben Barnet <zefo@a...> wrote:
            > Ben Barnet wrote:
            >
            > > Will this do what you want?
            > >
            > > ^!Find (^(\d\d)|(\d)\.\d\d\.\d\d)|(^(\d\d)|(\d)\/\d\d/\d\d) R
            >
            > This worked on my test file also;
            >
            > ^!Find (^(\d\d)|(\d)(\.)|(\/)\d\d(\.)|(\/)\d\d) R
            >
            > HTH
            > Ben
          • lm_hamilton
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
              Hugo, Peter, Ben,

              Thanks for all the tips. I now have 5 reg exps that do what I want. I
              have not done much with them before, but this is one situation that a
              reg exp is much simpler than all the ways a clip would have to do it.

              Larry

              --- In ntb-clips@y..., h.paulissen@f... wrote:
              > Larry, Peter, Ben,
              >

              > > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)
              > >

              > Apparently there is a difference in the handling of the following
              (at least
              > to me this has nothing to do with the #12 beta release since this
              occurs in
              > my regular bversion of NoteTab as well):
              >
              > \d\d? - finds 0
              > \d?\d - does not find 0
              >
              > I do not know why there is a difference...
              >
              > For what it's worth:
              >
              > I would find the date (with or without leading zero) with the
              following
              > expression:
              >
              > ^\d+((\.|\/)\d+)+
              >

              > Regards,
              >
              > Hugo
            • lm_hamilton
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
                Hi Eric,

                I sort of figured that. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of
                it, in the off chance there was something you could do. At least I
                have at least 5 reg exps that will do what I want out of all this.

                Larry

                --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
                > Hi Larry,
                >
                > >This does not work like above or my other post. It may be an issue
                with Beta
                > >12. I will forward this to Eric. I could not get that to work
                either with
                > >the find dialog or the ^!Find command.
                > >
                > > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)
                >
                > Unfortunately, this appears to be linked to the closure problem
                reported
                > earlier in beta testing. The bug is deep in the regex engine, which
                is
                > developed by a third party company. There is not much I can do
                about this.
                > I have already decided to use a different Perl-based regex engine
                in the
                > next major release of NoteTab...
                >

                > Regards,
                > Eric G.V. Fookes
                > Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Album Express
                > http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/

              • silvermoonwoman2001
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
                  Hi guys,

                  I think when using a regex pattern that can find zero occurrences of
                  something it needs to be found next to something more definite. So
                  to me it makes sense that "\d?" by itself won't find anything,
                  while "\d\d?" finds one or two adjacent digits.

                  I just tested "\d?\d" and discovered it finds two (and only two)
                  adjacent digits, which comes as a surprise to me. If it were
                  evaluated from left to right, the \d? would make it find neither one
                  nor two adjacent digits and it would just fail outright.

                  I didn't know a "^" could be used inside parentheses. Seems to work
                  tho.

                  Sheri

                  --- In ntb-clips@y..., h.paulissen@f... wrote:
                  > Larry, Peter, Ben,
                  >

                  > > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)
                  > >

                  > Apparently there is a difference in the handling of the following
                  (at least
                  > to me this has nothing to do with the #12 beta release since this
                  occurs in
                  > my regular bversion of NoteTab as well):
                  >
                  > \d\d? - finds 0
                  > \d?\d - does not find 0
                  >
                  > I do not know why there is a difference...
                  >
                  > For what it's worth:
                  >
                  > I would find the date (with or without leading zero) with the
                  following
                  > expression:
                  >
                  > ^\d+((\.|\/)\d+)+
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Hugo
                • Peter Stagg
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
                    Very succinct regex from Hugo

                    This should also work:

                    ^(\d+(\.|\/)?)+

                  • Larry Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
                      Sherri,

                      > I didn't know a "^" could be used inside parentheses. Seems to work
                      > tho.

                      I was not clear on this either. I find that part of working with the regexp
                      engine in NoteTab is more trial and error than I would like. I am not sure
                      if it is me, or if I need better explanation in help, or more examples.

                      It is sort of like calculus way back in college, I understood the examples
                      in class and in the book, but there was never an example like the complexity
                      of the homework problems. This whole thread has really helped, especially
                      since it is a real-world problem.

                      Larry
                    • Larry Hamilton
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
                        Peter,

                        Thanks! Now there are six reg exps for what I want.

                        That's a different challenge, who has the shortest? ;-)

                        Larry

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
                          --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:

                          > > Very succinct regex from Hugo
                          > >
                          > > This should also work:
                          > >
                          > > ^(\d+(\.|\/)?)+

                          Yes, but it also finds IP addresses ;)
                        • Larry Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 5, 2002
                            Sherri,

                            Yes I tried, and both Hugo's and Peter's regexps do find IP addresses.

                            They both also appear to find any pattern of numbers separated by periods.

                            Try them on this string:

                            169123.59.23.10.99.23.343

                            Larry

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 6, 2002
                              1) Yes, but only at the beginning of a line.
                              2) LH want's a regex to find dates at the beginning of a line and if he
                              knows his files do not contain any other strings of this kind at the
                              beginning of a line then great.
                              4) Yes, it also finds IP addresses! - reusable code!
                              5) That's regex - it can be both a no.10 spanner and a monkey wrench -
                              both will turn a no.10 nut but one will also turn a no.14 nut - depends
                              how accurate you want to be and as NTs regex is not as advanced as say
                              Perl's or others that have closures such that you can state exact
                              numbers of items you want to find, I find the simpler more elegant
                              solutions have to be a bit of a loose fit.

                            • Alec Burgess
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 6, 2002
                                Next year (v5.0 w/Perl) this works for dates only, not IP
                                addresses) Right?

                                should match:
                                05.1.3 words ...
                                05/06/83 words ...

                                and maybe(not sure how this would parse):
                                030498 or this
                                123 words ...

                                but not
                                1.3.4.6 words ...

                                or do I have round and curly brackets reversed?

                                Regards ... Alec