Re: [Clip] Regular Expression Question

  • Ben Barnet
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 4 11:43 PM
      Larry Hamilton wrote:

      > I have come up with more ideas, but was hoping for one expression to do the
      > find/replace in one pass.
      >
      > [...] and came up with this:
      >
      > ^!Find
      > (^[0-9*]/[0-9][0-9]/[0-9][0-9])|(^[0-9][0-9]/[0-9][0-9]/[0-9][0-9])|(^\d\d\.
      > \d\d\.\d\d)|(^\d\.\d\d\.\d\d) R
      >
      > This is working well in my testing scenario, so unless I missed something,
      > this will do what I need. Of course, if there is a simpler way to do it, I
      > would like to know.

      Will this do what you want?

      ^!Find (^(\d\d)|(\d)\.\d\d\.\d\d)|(^(\d\d)|(\d)\/\d\d/\d\d) R

      HTH
      Ben
    • Ben Barnet
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 5 12:50 AM
        Ben Barnet wrote:

        > Will this do what you want?
        >
        > ^!Find (^(\d\d)|(\d)\.\d\d\.\d\d)|(^(\d\d)|(\d)\/\d\d/\d\d) R

        This worked on my test file also;

        ^!Find (^(\d\d)|(\d)(\.)|(\/)\d\d(\.)|(\/)\d\d) R

        HTH
        Ben
      • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 5 1:54 AM
          Larry, Peter, Ben,

          > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)

          Apparently there is a difference in the handling of the following (at least
          to me this has nothing to do with the #12 beta release since this occurs in
          my regular bversion of NoteTab as well):

          \d\d? - finds 0
          \d?\d - does not find 0

          I do not know why there is a difference...

          For what it's worth:

          I would find the date (with or without leading zero) with the following
          expression:

          ^\d+((\.|\/)\d+)+

          Regards,

          Hugo
        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 5 2:12 AM
            Hi Larry,

            >This does not work like above or my other post. It may be an issue with Beta
            >12. I will forward this to Eric. I could not get that to work either with
            >the find dialog or the ^!Find command.
            >
            > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)

            Unfortunately, this appears to be linked to the closure problem reported
            earlier in beta testing. The bug is deep in the regex engine, which is
            developed by a third party company. There is not much I can do about this.
            I have already decided to use a different Perl-based regex engine in the
            next major release of NoteTab...

            Regards,
            Eric G.V. Fookes

          • lm_hamilton
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 5 9:20 AM
              Ben,

              Thanks, that finds it also.

              Larry

              --- In ntb-clips@y..., Ben Barnet <zefo@a...> wrote:
              > Will this do what you want?
              >
              > ^!Find (^(\d\d)|(\d)\.\d\d\.\d\d)|(^(\d\d)|(\d)\/\d\d/\d\d) R
              >
              > HTH
              > Ben
            • lm_hamilton
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 5 9:21 AM
                Ben,

                Thanks, again!

                Larry

                --- In ntb-clips@y..., Ben Barnet <zefo@a...> wrote:
                > Ben Barnet wrote:
                >
                > > Will this do what you want?
                > >
                > > ^!Find (^(\d\d)|(\d)\.\d\d\.\d\d)|(^(\d\d)|(\d)\/\d\d/\d\d) R
                >
                > This worked on my test file also;
                >
                > ^!Find (^(\d\d)|(\d)(\.)|(\/)\d\d(\.)|(\/)\d\d) R
                >
                > HTH
                > Ben
              • lm_hamilton
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 5 9:23 AM
                  Hugo, Peter, Ben,

                  Thanks for all the tips. I now have 5 reg exps that do what I want. I
                  have not done much with them before, but this is one situation that a
                  reg exp is much simpler than all the ways a clip would have to do it.

                  Larry

                  --- In ntb-clips@y..., h.paulissen@f... wrote:
                  > Larry, Peter, Ben,
                  >

                  > > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)
                  > >

                  > Apparently there is a difference in the handling of the following
                  (at least
                  > to me this has nothing to do with the #12 beta release since this
                  occurs in
                  > my regular bversion of NoteTab as well):
                  >
                  > \d\d? - finds 0
                  > \d?\d - does not find 0
                  >
                  > I do not know why there is a difference...
                  >
                  > For what it's worth:
                  >
                  > I would find the date (with or without leading zero) with the
                  following
                  > expression:
                  >
                  > ^\d+((\.|\/)\d+)+
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Hugo
                • lm_hamilton
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 5 9:25 AM
                    Hi Eric,

                    I sort of figured that. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of
                    it, in the off chance there was something you could do. At least I
                    have at least 5 reg exps that will do what I want out of all this.

                    Larry

                    --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
                    > Hi Larry,
                    >
                    > >This does not work like above or my other post. It may be an issue
                    with Beta
                    > >12. I will forward this to Eric. I could not get that to work
                    either with
                    > >the find dialog or the ^!Find command.
                    > >
                    > > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)
                    >
                    > Unfortunately, this appears to be linked to the closure problem
                    reported
                    > earlier in beta testing. The bug is deep in the regex engine, which
                    is
                    > developed by a third party company. There is not much I can do
                    about this.
                    > I have already decided to use a different Perl-based regex engine
                    in the
                    > next major release of NoteTab...
                    >

                    > Regards,
                    > Eric G.V. Fookes
                    > Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Album Express
                    > http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/

                  • silvermoonwoman2001
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 5 9:40 AM
                      Hi guys,

                      I think when using a regex pattern that can find zero occurrences of
                      something it needs to be found next to something more definite. So
                      to me it makes sense that "\d?" by itself won't find anything,
                      while "\d\d?" finds one or two adjacent digits.

                      I just tested "\d?\d" and discovered it finds two (and only two)
                      adjacent digits, which comes as a surprise to me. If it were
                      evaluated from left to right, the \d? would make it find neither one
                      nor two adjacent digits and it would just fail outright.

                      I didn't know a "^" could be used inside parentheses. Seems to work
                      tho.

                      Sheri

                      --- In ntb-clips@y..., h.paulissen@f... wrote:
                      > Larry, Peter, Ben,
                      >

                      > > > (^\d?\d\.\d?\d\.\d?\d)|(^\d?\d\/\d?\d/\d?\d)
                      > >

                      > Apparently there is a difference in the handling of the following
                      (at least
                      > to me this has nothing to do with the #12 beta release since this
                      occurs in
                      > my regular bversion of NoteTab as well):
                      >
                      > \d\d? - finds 0
                      > \d?\d - does not find 0
                      >
                      > I do not know why there is a difference...
                      >
                      > For what it's worth:
                      >
                      > I would find the date (with or without leading zero) with the
                      following
                      > expression:
                      >
                      > ^\d+((\.|\/)\d+)+
                      >

                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Hugo
                    • Peter Stagg
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 5 4:03 PM
                        Very succinct regex from Hugo

                        This should also work:

                        ^(\d+(\.|\/)?)+

                      • Larry Hamilton
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 5 6:26 PM
                          Sherri,

                          > I didn't know a "^" could be used inside parentheses. Seems to work
                          > tho.

                          I was not clear on this either. I find that part of working with the regexp
                          engine in NoteTab is more trial and error than I would like. I am not sure
                          if it is me, or if I need better explanation in help, or more examples.

                          It is sort of like calculus way back in college, I understood the examples
                          in class and in the book, but there was never an example like the complexity
                          of the homework problems. This whole thread has really helped, especially
                          since it is a real-world problem.

                          Larry
                        • Larry Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 5 6:29 PM
                            Peter,

                            Thanks! Now there are six reg exps for what I want.

                            That's a different challenge, who has the shortest? ;-)

                            Larry

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 5 7:00 PM
                              --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...> wrote:

                              > > Very succinct regex from Hugo
                              > >
                              > > This should also work:
                              > >
                              > > ^(\d+(\.|\/)?)+

                              Yes, but it also finds IP addresses ;)
                            • Larry Hamilton
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 5 7:16 PM
                                Sherri,

                                Yes I tried, and both Hugo's and Peter's regexps do find IP addresses.

                                They both also appear to find any pattern of numbers separated by periods.

                                Try them on this string:

                                169123.59.23.10.99.23.343

                                Larry

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 6 4:20 PM
                                  1) Yes, but only at the beginning of a line.
                                  2) LH want's a regex to find dates at the beginning of a line and if he
                                  knows his files do not contain any other strings of this kind at the
                                  beginning of a line then great.
                                  4) Yes, it also finds IP addresses! - reusable code!
                                  5) That's regex - it can be both a no.10 spanner and a monkey wrench -
                                  both will turn a no.10 nut but one will also turn a no.14 nut - depends
                                  how accurate you want to be and as NTs regex is not as advanced as say
                                  Perl's or others that have closures such that you can state exact
                                  numbers of items you want to find, I find the simpler more elegant
                                  solutions have to be a bit of a loose fit.

                                • Alec Burgess
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 6 8:02 PM
                                    Next year (v5.0 w/Perl) this works for dates only, not IP
                                    addresses) Right?

                                    should match:
                                    05.1.3 words ...
                                    05/06/83 words ...

                                    and maybe(not sure how this would parse):
                                    030498 or this
                                    123 words ...

                                    but not
                                    1.3.4.6 words ...

                                    or do I have round and curly brackets reversed?

                                    Regards ... Alec