Re: [Clip] Find and replace throughout site

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2002
      search/search disk

      or open the files you are concerned with and check search all documents

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2002
        Ok, smarty-Don. <hands on hips> Just what do you THINK I've been doing!
        Hitting each page manually has become tiresome.

        I hadn't realize I could search/replace the disk itself. Sounds radically
        dangerous. <G>

        Christine

        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2002
          Hi Christine,

          >Ok, smarty-Don. <hands on hips> Just what do you THINK I've been
          >doing! Hitting each page manually has become tiresome.

          <bg>

          >I hadn't realize I could search/replace the disk itself. Sounds
          >radically dangerous. <G>

          The Replace tab in Search Disk (SD) has a make backup check box.
          If you do not want to trust Windows <g>, then make a backup
          yourself; simple enough to do making a folder and using Ctrl+A on
          the files, then Ctrl plus drag/drop into the folder.

          When I use SD on a number of files I usually open a couple of
          them in NoteTab Pro and do a Replace on the criteria that I will
          be using checking All Documents stepping through one click at a
          time. When I see that it is doing what I want, I then run it
          over all the disk files using SD.

          http://www.notetab.net

        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2002
            Christine:

            > Ok, smarty-Don. <hands on hips> Just what do you THINK
            > I've been doing! Hitting each page manually has become
            > tiresome.
            >
            > I hadn't realize I could search/replace the disk
            itself.
            > Sounds radically dangerous.
            With Notetab Pro and Search disk (and maybe (probably?)
            some clip-writing practice) you can do everything you
            want.

            On another forum (AakSam) I found a reference to a
            freeware purpose-built tool that you might find helpful.
            Its:

            BK ReplaceEm http://www.orbit.org/replace/

            Welcome to the wonderful world of BK ReplaceEm, your
            premiere-quality, freeware string-replacing utility for
            Windows 95/98/NT. At its core, BK ReplaceEm is
            essentially a text search-and-replace program. However,
            unlike the search-replace functionality of a standard
            text editor, BK ReplaceEm is designed to operate on
            multiple files at once. And you need not only perform one
            search-replace operation per file -- you can setup a list
            of operations to perform. If different groups of files
            need to have different operations performed on them, this
            is no problem either. You can also specify a backup file
            for each file processed just incase the replace operation
            didn't do exactly what you wanted.
            <<
            One caution: If you're a regexp user his engine is a
            little differnt than Eric's and (uniquely(?) as far as
            I've seen) each Regexp takes as its target the entire
            file - not individual lines. Depending on what your
            trying to do this can either be an enormous PITA or the
            greatest thing since sliced bread ;--)

            I know there are lots of others out there if this one
            doesn't suit. Just try Google "search replace freeware
            download" or similar.

            Regards ... Alec