Re: [Clip] Can NoteTab grab HTML source from web?

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 14 , May 28 6:49 PM
      Hi Stephen,

      >Now I'm wondering if I can feed NoteTab a URL and have it put the source from that URL into a document directly. This way I could give my clip a URL and have it download all needed docs, process them, and maybe even upload them again with an ftp client.

      Jody's clip method to do what you want.

      Here's a bit from my past tinkerings with combo/mix of graburl and NTB clip:

      Thanks to whoever in the past told me about graburl. Since then I use it along with NoteTab to render weather reports in text format in NoteTab. NoteTab a viewer of my local weather in handy text format!

      A search on www.google.com for graburl just found it.

      As I said, I use it with clip language's StripHtml to output text. It does what I need to do just fine. You'd have to check it out per your own specific need.

      I found it easy, just dropped the graburl.exe into NoteTab's app directory and somehow NoteTab found it since "graburl" without quotes in a clip activates it.

      Here's 2 lines of clip

      ^!Set %cmnd%=graburl http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/Sacramento/afd?SFOZFPSTO

      ^!InsertText ^$StrStripHTML("^$GetDosOutput("^%cmnd%")$";False)$

      THose 2 lines how I been doin it. From the noaa.gov www page, those 2 clip lines get all the text minus the html inserted into NoteTab. To keep html, just don't use the ^$StrStripHTML("";False)$ function

      ^!InsertText ^$GetDosOutput("^%cmnd%")$

      Or, *perhaps instead of to use InsertText, use InsertHtml

      Needless to say, I then my clip searches, locates, and centers in view only the pertinent current local weather info that I want to view. Might as well let NoteTab do the work!!

      Maybe there's even easier way as I know only very little about graburl. That method does work really well for me though.

      Regards. Alan.
    • tzemachorg
      Message 2 of 14 , May 30 6:52 AM
        This is a great little tool! However, I am kind of new to writing
        clips and was wondering how can I get the clip to ask for the URL and
        be able to change it each time.

        I tried ^?[Type a name] which asked for the URL, but it only inserts
        the URL.

        Thanks!

        Lee

        At 5/28/02 06:49 PM -0700, Alan C. wrote:

        Here's 2 lines of clip

        ^!Set %cmnd%=graburl http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/Sacramento/afd?
        SFOZFPSTO

        ^!InsertText ^$StrStripHTML("^$GetDosOutput("^%cmnd%")$";False)$
      • dean martineau
        Message 3 of 14 , May 30 9:28 AM
          At 01:52 PM 5/30/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >This is a great little tool! However, I am kind of new to writing
          >clips and was wondering how can I get the clip to ask for the URL and
          >be able to change it each time.
          >
          >I tried ^?[Type a name] which asked for the URL, but it only inserts
          >the URL.
          Here's a line I'm using with the Graburl program. In my case, the pages
          I'm grabbing are playlists based on the day and hour. Variables make the
          necessary changes possible using the ^!inc command:

          ^$GetDosOutput("c:\files\graburl\graburl.exe
          http://www.radionur.com/^%day%^%hour%00.html")$

          I hope this gives you an idea.

          Dean

          For the Baha'i Perspectives Radio Archive: <http://www.bahai-perspectives.org>
          For information about Sound Computing magazine or Top Dot tutorials:
          <http://www.sound-computing.com>
        • Alan C.
          Message 4 of 14 , May 30 10:19 AM
            At 01:52 PM 5/30/2002 +0000, you wrote:
            >I tried ^?[Type a name] which asked for the URL, but it only inserts
            >the URL.

            Yes NoteTab inserts into document unless you

            need to set your item into a variable to do so use

            ^!Set %YouNameIt%=

            And, to *utilize a variable's content* (interpolate if you will)

            ^!ntb_command ^%YouNameIt%

            (notice the caret now precedes)
            ------

            Here's yours but now it's into a variable.

            ^!Set %myname%=^?[Type a name]
            ^!Info ^%myname%
            ;-------<end<<

            Alan.
          • Alan C.
            Message 5 of 14 , May 30 1:08 PM
              Hi,

              I had said:
              >I found it easy, just dropped the graburl.exe into NoteTab's app directory and somehow NoteTab found it since "graburl" without quotes in a clip activates it.

              Oops, I'd forgotten that it wasn't that Ntab *somehow found it

              Instead, it is a Windows path issue easily resolved by a line of clip code

              ^!ChDir ^$GetShort("^$GetAppPath$")$

              that above line is also in the clip, it's placed just before the line that is to execute the .exe And, such clip line gets windows system so that its working directory is now the NoteTab application directory. Now, any .exe that's in such (ntb app) directory can be executed by just using the exe's filename minus its .exe part.

              Alternatively, full path can be used as I saw in someone's post to this list.

              ^!Set %cmnd%=c:\files\graburl http://www.site.com

              Alan.
            • Lee Underwood
              Message 6 of 14 , May 30 9:25 PM
                What I want to do is have the clip ask for input (for the URL) so I can use
                a different one each time.

                Lee

                Message 7 of 14 , May 30 10:02 PM
                  Hi Lee,

                  >What I want to do is have the clip ask for input (for the URL) so
                  >I can use a different one each time.

                  Just plug in a Clip wizard where the URL would go:

                  ^?{Choose or type in a link=^$GetSelection$|_link1|link2|link3|^=}

                  You may need to set it in a variable first depending on where you
                  use it.

                  ^!Set %Link%=^?{Choose or type in a link=^$GetSelection$|_link1|link2|link3|^=}

                  Then plug it in as: ^%Link%

                  >> > I tried ^?[Type a name] which asked for the URL, but it only
                  >> > inserts the URL.
                  >> Here's a line I'm using with the Graburl program. In my case,
                  >> the pages I'm grabbing are playlists based on the day and hour.
                  >> Variables make the necessary changes possible using the ^!inc
                  >> command:
                  >>
                  >>^$GetDosOutput("c:\files\graburl\graburl.exe
                  >><http://www.radionur.com/^%day%^%hour%00.html>http://www.radionur.com/^%day%^%hour%00.html

                  http://www.notetab.net

                • Lee Underwood
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 31 7:26 AM
                    Hi Jody,

                    Thanks! That did it. I just had to set the variable first, then I used the
                    Clip wizard. Great!

                    I have been using NoteTab Pro for over three years and it seems like I am
                    always finding something new. I just started to get into Clip programming
                    and am wondering why I didn't start sooner. I have been able to automate
                    many tasks and procedures!

                    Lee

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 31 9:06 AM
                      Hi Lee,

                      >Thanks! That did it. I just had to set the variable first, then I
                      >used the Clip wizard. Great!

                      You are most welcome!

                      >I have been using NoteTab Pro for over three years and it seems
                      >like I am always finding something new. I just started to get
                      >into Clip programming and am wondering why I didn't start sooner.
                      >I have been able to automate many tasks and procedures!

                      NoteTab literally increases productivity over 1000%, that is one
                      thousand. To me, that means more $$$ and more time away from this
                      machine. I'd be on it 24 hours a day and still not be finished
                      w/o it.

                      In case you missed it:

                      Please vote for NoteTab and MailBag Assistant in the Shareware Industry Awards!

                      Eric recently sent the following to some of my discussion mailing
                      lists: http://www.notetab.net/html/maillist.htm

                      Thanks to all for your support!
                      Shareware Industry Awards 2002
                      For the first time in several years now, NoteTab has not been
                      nominated for the Shareware Industry Awards. However, there's still
                      a chance to have NoteTab up for the People's Choice award. If you
                      appreciate NoteTab, please consider casting your vote through the
                      following page:

                      http://www.mediaweave.com/siafvote/index.cfm

                      Thanks to all for your support!

                      Mailbag is nominated in Shareware Industry Awards

                      Hi everyone,

                      I'm very pleased to announce that Mailbag Assistant has just been
                      nominated for the Shareware Industry Awards 2002. Hopefully, this
                      will bring it some much needed exposure. If you want to help out,
                      please take a moment to vote for the People's Choice awards. It's
                      not clear which would be the best category, but I guess "Best
                      Internet Enhancement or Utility" comes closest. Here's the page to
                      vote:

                      http://www.mediaweave.com/siafvote/index.cfm

                      Thanks in advance for your support!

                      >> You may need to set it in a variable first depending on where
                      >> you use it.
                      >>
                      >>^!Set %Link%=^?{Choose or type in a
                      >link=^$GetSelection$|_link1|link2|link3|^=}
                      >>
                      >>Then plug it in as: ^%Link%

                      http://www.notetab.net

                    • LaurieK
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 31 3:57 PM
                        ^!Set %Link%=^?{Choose or type in a
                        link=^$GetSelection$|_link1|link2|link3|^=}

                        I did this, it did nothing....I'm interested in this but you know me (Jody),
                        I'm lost....

                        <off standing in the corner, being patient>

                        Laurie
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 31 6:07 PM
                          Hi LaurieK,

                          >^!Set %Link%=^?{Choose or type in a link=^$GetSelection$|_link1|link2|link3|^=}
                          >
                          >I did this, it did nothing....I'm interested in this but...
                          >
                          ><off standing in the corner, being patient>

                          :-)

                          ^$GetSelection$ = any text selected, preferably a URL in this case. <g>
                          link1 and others = a URL you want to put in there in place of link...
                          |^= = is a habit I got into a long time ago, but not needed here.

                          If you have something like the following:

                          ^!Set %link%=^?[&Choose or type in a link=link-1|_link-2]
                          ^!Set %argh%=^?[&Type in a link=link-3]
                          ^!Set %smile%=^?[&No bad hair days=_Be Happy|^=]

                          Notice the difference between %argh% and %smile% when you click
                          in the field; the text does not get selected in %argh% requiring
                          you to select (or use Alt+T, or Ctrl+Shift+back arrow) and then
                          type if you want to change it. In the %smile% wizard you can
                          click in the field and Be Happy gets selected so you can start
                          typing if need be. (Why else would you click in it though unless
                          you need to change it.;) Now, if %argh% is the first wizard field,
                          then it automatically gets selected like below.

                          <--- Copy below this line --->
                          H=Wizard Stuff
                          ; Jody, 05-31-2002
                          ^!Set %Link%=^?[(3)&Choose or type in a link=link-1|_link-2]
                          ^!Set %argh%=^?[(1)&Type in a link=link-3]
                          ^!Set %smile%=^?[(2)&No bad hair days=_Be Happy|^=]

                          ; long line
                          ^!SetWizardTitle ^$StrFill("(-: ";6)$www.notetab.net/html/cd-orders.htm ^$StrFill(":-) ";6)$
                          ^!Info [L]^%smile%>>^%Link%>>^%argh%

                          <--- Copy above this line --->
                          <--- Right click over a Library --->
                          <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                          I hope you found your answer in there somewhere. ;)

                          http://www.notetab.net