Can NoteTab grab HTML source from web?

  • Stephen Gilbert
    Message 1 of 14 , May 28, 2002
      Thank you for your tips, Alan! I'm "finding" my way.

      Now I'm wondering if I can feed NoteTab a URL and have it put the source from that URL into a document directly. This way I could give my clip a URL and have it download all needed docs, process them, and maybe even upload them again with an ftp client.

      Something like ^!OpenURL "URL"

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 14 , May 28, 2002
        Hi Stephen,

        >Now I'm wondering if I can feed NoteTab a URL and have it put the
        >source from that URL into a document directly. This way I could
        >give my clip a URL and have it download all needed docs, process
        >them, and maybe even upload them again with an ftp client.

        You can do what you want, but wouldn't a Save As work for you?

        It depends on what browser you are using and also your source
        viewer. It would go something like this though for IE. I did
        not test it, but it appears good. In 4.9 we can specify which
        browser to use.

        ^!Url "http://www.notetab.net"
        ^!Delay 1
        ^!IfAppOpen "*Internet Explorer" next else Skip_-1
        ^!Delay 1
        ^!IfSame "^$StrCopyRight("^$GetAppTitle$";17)$" "Internet Explorer" Next else Skip_-1
        ; might need more delay - see note in second Clip
        ^!Keyboard Alt+V c &750 Ctrl+A Ctrl+C
        ^!ActivateApp
        ^!Toolbar Paste New

        ---

        ^!FocusApp "*Explorer"
        ^!Delay 1
        ^!IfAppOpen "*Internet Explorer" next else Skip_-1
        ^!Delay 1
        ^!IfSame "^$StrCopyRight("^$GetAppTitle$";17)$" "Internet Explorer" Next else Skip_-1
        ; You can loop to wait till you see that the page is in your
        ; viewer like above and do away with the timing &500
        ^!Keyboard Alt+V c &500 Ctrl+A Ctrl+C
        ^!ActivateApp
        ^!Toolbar Paste New

        http://www.notetab.net

      • hpaulissen
        Message 3 of 14 , May 28, 2002
          --- In ntb-clips@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
          > Hi Stephen,
          >
          > >Now I'm wondering if I can feed NoteTab a URL and have it put the
          > >source from that URL into a document directly. This way I could
          > >give my clip a URL and have it download all needed docs, process
          > >them, and maybe even upload them again with an ftp client.

          Jody gave you a clip answer, but you could use GrabURL from
          www.kiraly.com (website not available now/relocated, but still to be
          found). It is a command-line tool, 14 k, that you can launch from
          within a clip. Very nice!

          Hugo
        • Alan C.
          Message 4 of 14 , May 28, 2002
            Hi Stephen,

            >Now I'm wondering if I can feed NoteTab a URL and have it put the source from that URL into a document directly. This way I could give my clip a URL and have it download all needed docs, process them, and maybe even upload them again with an ftp client.

            Jody's clip method to do what you want.

            Here's a bit from my past tinkerings with combo/mix of graburl and NTB clip:

            Thanks to whoever in the past told me about graburl. Since then I use it along with NoteTab to render weather reports in text format in NoteTab. NoteTab a viewer of my local weather in handy text format!

            A search on www.google.com for graburl just found it.

            As I said, I use it with clip language's StripHtml to output text. It does what I need to do just fine. You'd have to check it out per your own specific need.

            I found it easy, just dropped the graburl.exe into NoteTab's app directory and somehow NoteTab found it since "graburl" without quotes in a clip activates it.

            Here's 2 lines of clip

            ^!Set %cmnd%=graburl http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/Sacramento/afd?SFOZFPSTO

            ^!InsertText ^$StrStripHTML("^$GetDosOutput("^%cmnd%")$";False)$

            THose 2 lines how I been doin it. From the noaa.gov www page, those 2 clip lines get all the text minus the html inserted into NoteTab. To keep html, just don't use the ^$StrStripHTML("";False)$ function

            ^!InsertText ^$GetDosOutput("^%cmnd%")$

            Or, *perhaps instead of to use InsertText, use InsertHtml

            Needless to say, I then my clip searches, locates, and centers in view only the pertinent current local weather info that I want to view. Might as well let NoteTab do the work!!

            Maybe there's even easier way as I know only very little about graburl. That method does work really well for me though.

            Regards. Alan.
          • tzemachorg
            Message 5 of 14 , May 30, 2002
              This is a great little tool! However, I am kind of new to writing
              clips and was wondering how can I get the clip to ask for the URL and
              be able to change it each time.

              I tried ^?[Type a name] which asked for the URL, but it only inserts
              the URL.

              Thanks!

              Lee

              At 5/28/02 06:49 PM -0700, Alan C. wrote:

              Here's 2 lines of clip

              ^!Set %cmnd%=graburl http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/Sacramento/afd?
              SFOZFPSTO

              ^!InsertText ^$StrStripHTML("^$GetDosOutput("^%cmnd%")$";False)$
            • dean martineau
              Message 6 of 14 , May 30, 2002
                At 01:52 PM 5/30/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                >This is a great little tool! However, I am kind of new to writing
                >clips and was wondering how can I get the clip to ask for the URL and
                >be able to change it each time.
                >
                >I tried ^?[Type a name] which asked for the URL, but it only inserts
                >the URL.
                Here's a line I'm using with the Graburl program. In my case, the pages
                I'm grabbing are playlists based on the day and hour. Variables make the
                necessary changes possible using the ^!inc command:

                ^$GetDosOutput("c:\files\graburl\graburl.exe
                http://www.radionur.com/^%day%^%hour%00.html")$

                I hope this gives you an idea.

                Dean

                For the Baha'i Perspectives Radio Archive: <http://www.bahai-perspectives.org>
                For information about Sound Computing magazine or Top Dot tutorials:
                <http://www.sound-computing.com>
              • Alan C.
                Message 7 of 14 , May 30, 2002
                  At 01:52 PM 5/30/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                  >I tried ^?[Type a name] which asked for the URL, but it only inserts
                  >the URL.

                  Yes NoteTab inserts into document unless you

                  need to set your item into a variable to do so use

                  ^!Set %YouNameIt%=

                  And, to *utilize a variable's content* (interpolate if you will)

                  ^!ntb_command ^%YouNameIt%

                  (notice the caret now precedes)
                  ------

                  Here's yours but now it's into a variable.

                  ^!Set %myname%=^?[Type a name]
                  ^!Info ^%myname%
                  ;-------<end<<

                  Alan.
                • Alan C.
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 30, 2002
                    Hi,

                    I had said:
                    >I found it easy, just dropped the graburl.exe into NoteTab's app directory and somehow NoteTab found it since "graburl" without quotes in a clip activates it.

                    Oops, I'd forgotten that it wasn't that Ntab *somehow found it

                    Instead, it is a Windows path issue easily resolved by a line of clip code

                    ^!ChDir ^$GetShort("^$GetAppPath$")$

                    that above line is also in the clip, it's placed just before the line that is to execute the .exe And, such clip line gets windows system so that its working directory is now the NoteTab application directory. Now, any .exe that's in such (ntb app) directory can be executed by just using the exe's filename minus its .exe part.

                    Alternatively, full path can be used as I saw in someone's post to this list.

                    ^!Set %cmnd%=c:\files\graburl http://www.site.com

                    Alan.
                  • Lee Underwood
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 30, 2002
                      What I want to do is have the clip ask for input (for the URL) so I can use
                      a different one each time.

                      Lee

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 30, 2002
                        Hi Lee,

                        >What I want to do is have the clip ask for input (for the URL) so
                        >I can use a different one each time.

                        Just plug in a Clip wizard where the URL would go:

                        ^?{Choose or type in a link=^$GetSelection$|_link1|link2|link3|^=}

                        You may need to set it in a variable first depending on where you
                        use it.

                        ^!Set %Link%=^?{Choose or type in a link=^$GetSelection$|_link1|link2|link3|^=}

                        Then plug it in as: ^%Link%

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 31, 2002
                          Hi Jody,

                          Thanks! That did it. I just had to set the variable first, then I used the
                          Clip wizard. Great!

                          I have been using NoteTab Pro for over three years and it seems like I am
                          always finding something new. I just started to get into Clip programming
                          and am wondering why I didn't start sooner. I have been able to automate
                          many tasks and procedures!

                          Lee

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 31, 2002
                            Hi Lee,

                            >Thanks! That did it. I just had to set the variable first, then I
                            >used the Clip wizard. Great!

                            You are most welcome!

                            >I have been using NoteTab Pro for over three years and it seems
                            >like I am always finding something new. I just started to get
                            >into Clip programming and am wondering why I didn't start sooner.
                            >I have been able to automate many tasks and procedures!

                            NoteTab literally increases productivity over 1000%, that is one
                            thousand. To me, that means more $$$ and more time away from this
                            machine. I'd be on it 24 hours a day and still not be finished
                            w/o it.

                            In case you missed it:

                            Please vote for NoteTab and MailBag Assistant in the Shareware Industry Awards!

                            Eric recently sent the following to some of my discussion mailing
                            lists: http://www.notetab.net/html/maillist.htm

                            Thanks to all for your support!
                            Shareware Industry Awards 2002
                            For the first time in several years now, NoteTab has not been
                            nominated for the Shareware Industry Awards. However, there's still
                            a chance to have NoteTab up for the People's Choice award. If you
                            appreciate NoteTab, please consider casting your vote through the
                            following page:

                            http://www.mediaweave.com/siafvote/index.cfm

                            Thanks to all for your support!

                            Mailbag is nominated in Shareware Industry Awards

                            Hi everyone,

                            I'm very pleased to announce that Mailbag Assistant has just been
                            nominated for the Shareware Industry Awards 2002. Hopefully, this
                            will bring it some much needed exposure. If you want to help out,
                            please take a moment to vote for the People's Choice awards. It's
                            not clear which would be the best category, but I guess "Best
                            Internet Enhancement or Utility" comes closest. Here's the page to
                            vote:

                            http://www.mediaweave.com/siafvote/index.cfm

                            Thanks in advance for your support!

                            >> You may need to set it in a variable first depending on where
                            >> you use it.
                            >>
                            >>^!Set %Link%=^?{Choose or type in a
                            >link=^$GetSelection$|_link1|link2|link3|^=}
                            >>
                            >>Then plug it in as: ^%Link%

                            http://www.notetab.net

                          • LaurieK
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 31, 2002
                              ^!Set %Link%=^?{Choose or type in a
                              link=^$GetSelection$|_link1|link2|link3|^=}

                              I did this, it did nothing....I'm interested in this but you know me (Jody),
                              I'm lost....

                              <off standing in the corner, being patient>

                              Laurie
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 31, 2002
                                Hi LaurieK,

                                >^!Set %Link%=^?{Choose or type in a link=^$GetSelection$|_link1|link2|link3|^=}
                                >
                                >I did this, it did nothing....I'm interested in this but...
                                >
                                ><off standing in the corner, being patient>

                                :-)

                                ^$GetSelection$ = any text selected, preferably a URL in this case. <g>
                                link1 and others = a URL you want to put in there in place of link...
                                |^= = is a habit I got into a long time ago, but not needed here.

                                If you have something like the following:

                                ^!Set %link%=^?[&Choose or type in a link=link-1|_link-2]
                                ^!Set %argh%=^?[&Type in a link=link-3]
                                ^!Set %smile%=^?[&No bad hair days=_Be Happy|^=]

                                Notice the difference between %argh% and %smile% when you click
                                in the field; the text does not get selected in %argh% requiring
                                you to select (or use Alt+T, or Ctrl+Shift+back arrow) and then
                                type if you want to change it. In the %smile% wizard you can
                                click in the field and Be Happy gets selected so you can start
                                typing if need be. (Why else would you click in it though unless
                                you need to change it.;) Now, if %argh% is the first wizard field,
                                then it automatically gets selected like below.

                                <--- Copy below this line --->
                                H=Wizard Stuff
                                ; Jody, 05-31-2002
                                ^!Set %Link%=^?[(3)&Choose or type in a link=link-1|_link-2]
                                ^!Set %argh%=^?[(1)&Type in a link=link-3]
                                ^!Set %smile%=^?[(2)&No bad hair days=_Be Happy|^=]

                                ; long line
                                ^!SetWizardTitle ^$StrFill("(-: ";6)$www.notetab.net/html/cd-orders.htm ^$StrFill(":-) ";6)$
                                ^!Info [L]^%smile%>>^%Link%>>^%argh%

                                <--- Copy above this line --->
                                <--- Right click over a Library --->
                                <--- Choose: Add from Clipboard --->

                                I hope you found your answer in there somewhere. ;)

                                http://www.notetab.net