Re: Template Documents and Clip Commands

  • dah11us
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20 6:04 PM
      --- In ntb-clips@y..., "dah11us" <dhayes@l...> wrote:
      > NTP shows the red unsaved light on a document's tab after an
      embedded
      > ^!Save command in a template document saves the document and exits
      > normally. The document was saved, and the undo button is not
      > focused, despite the unsaved light indication.
      >
      > To get this effect:
      >
      > 1. Create a template with embedded clip commands that save and exit
      > normally.
      >
      > 2. Execute the template to create a new document.
      >
      > Note the unsaved indicator light. Note the undo button does not
      > offer anything to undo.
      >
      > This appears to be a bug.

      Again, I request comment from anyone who may see this issue as a bug
      or not.

      From this and other posts, it seems that some clip commands do not
      always execute cleanly from template files. Most at issue are the
      rename and save commands, and the like.
    • john041650
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 21 6:34 AM
        Dah, when a template includes "ClipCode" in the header, it does seem to do what you're saying.. I wouldn't call it a bug however, all I have to do is to save the new file created by the template and everything is fine..

        I do not know what possible reason you might have for including save and exit commands within a template, but I just tried creating one with them in for the fun of it.. And all sorts of nasty things happened when I tried to open that template, access violations, etc... I had to shut NoteTab down and restart it to recover.. That could be a bug, but I'm thinking it's due to my improperly using a template instead..

        John :)

        --- In ntb-clips@y..., "dah11us" <dhayes@l...> wrote:
        > --- In ntb-clips@y..., "dah11us" <dhayes@l...> wrote:
        > > NTP shows the red unsaved light on a document's tab after an
        > embedded
        > > ^!Save command in a template document saves the document and exits
        > > normally. The document was saved, and the undo button is not
        > > focused, despite the unsaved light indication.
        > >
        > > To get this effect:
        > >
        > > 1. Create a template with embedded clip commands that save and exit
        > > normally.
        > >
        > > 2. Execute the template to create a new document.
        > >
        > > Note the unsaved indicator light. Note the undo button does not
        > > offer anything to undo.
        > >
        > > This appears to be a bug.
        >
        > Again, I request comment from anyone who may see this issue as a bug
        > or not.
        >
        > From this and other posts, it seems that some clip commands do not
        > always execute cleanly from template files. Most at issue are the
        > rename and save commands, and the like.
      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 21 2:16 PM
          Hi dah11us,

          It's not part of my normal operations. But once in a test, I just as you
          did, also had, noticed the unsaved red color (on the tab if i remember
          correctly).

          But since, using template, 1. involved processing of name 2. all i had to
          do was click the save button -- i didn't report such discovery at that time.

          Erik has formerly replied about (template's) processing name while doc is
          being created

          in the spirit of HTH here using Mailbag Assistant I retrieved as follows
          from my mailbox archives. So that you can see the subject of the thread
          and the date of it if you then want to go to yahoogroups on the www then
          you can find the entire dated threads are kept there for viewing. i found
          it to be an very extensive and very helpful thread on this topic.

          Regards. Alan.

          Taken from my archived mailboxes:

          From: "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@...>
          Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:05:43 +0100
          Subject: Re: [Clip] ClipCode functionality in Templates

          Hello Langis,

          Sorry for my late reply on this issue...

          >There is an inconsistency in the use of the following clip functions in
          >conjunction with Template. I created a template which request the user to
          >enter the name for the file and then I try to invoke the following functions
          >to change the name assigned to the file upon opening the template:
          >^!RenameDoc, ^$GetDocName$
          >
          >The ^$GetDocName$ doeesn't return the name just assigned from the ` =
          >DocTemplate ClipCode "Script%0.3d.pl" ' as you would expect, but the name of
          >the Template File that was opened.
          >
          >The ^!RenameDoc, changes the name of the Template File on the disk instead
          >of the name that appears on the tab in the active window.

          Templates are a special case. The creation of template-based documents is
          not completed until any embedded code has finished being executed.
          Processing the document name while the document is being created is indeed
          unreliable.

          >The ^!Save As command works, but it saves the file without asking you for
          >the location of where to save it. Plus when you are testing this script you
          >do not really want to save the file, just control what the name of the file
          >will be if you decide to save it.

          If you specify a file name after the "^!Save As" command, NoteTab will not
          prompt you to confirm that name. This is normal.

          Regards,
          Eric G.V. Fookes
        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22 2:35 AM
            At 01:04 21/04/2002 +0000, you wrote:
            >--- In ntb-clips@y..., "dah11us" <dhayes@l...> wrote:
            > >NTP shows the red unsaved light on a document's tab after an embedded
            > >^!Save command in a template document saves the document and exits
            > >normally. The document was saved, and the undo button is not focused,
            > >despite the unsaved light indication.

            The unsaved indicator is always set as the last step of a document created
            through a template. Since the ^!Save command is used before that stage, it
            cannot influence this default behavior. However, I will take note of this
            issue and see if I can fix it in the next update...

            Regards,
            Eric G.V. Fookes