Re: [Clip] Re: Calculating disk contents

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 13 5:58 AM
      Mark Halsall wrote:

      >>>In general, I simply want to know how full my disk drives are!
      >
      >> If you simply want total space used and total space free,
      >> windows itself should tell you that. Click on
      >> "My Computer" and make sure your view is set to "details".
      >> Right click on any drive and select properties if you want
      >> to see even better information.

      >Yes, that seems the simplest answer. This is my prototype clip:

      So you do not simply want to know how full your drives are?
      Do you NEED to read that information into a clip?

      That is a whole different problem. It is also more difficult
      to answer.

      >^!Keyboard CONTEXT
      SHIFT+F10 is the same.

      More keyboard shortcuts for windows are listed at:
      http://www.bilbo.com/shortcut.html

      Which does your clip need to know?

      1. Free space remaining?
      Use the ^$GetDosOutput("dir a:")$, the last line
      returned gives the free space on the volume.

      2. Total bytes used by a folder and its subfolders?
      Use ^$GetDosOutput("du -b -c -s <path>")$

      Where du.exe is from UnxUtils.zip
      found at http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

      But this command takes time for large folders.

      3. Disk capacity?
      I am not sure how to find this at the moment.
      ;-(

      Anyway, I am running out of time right now, but hopefully
      this can give you some new ideas to work from.
    • Ville Saalo
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 13 7:05 AM
        >>^!Keyboard CONTEXT
        >SHIFT+F10 is the same.

        ALT+ENTER is the easiest way, it takes you directly to the properties.

        -Ville
      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 13 7:52 AM
          >>>^!Keyboard CONTEXT
          >>SHIFT+F10 is the same.

          I meant this for general information, as it is the only way to
          emulate the "CONTEXT MENU" key from NoteTab's Keyboard clip command.

          Though I do wish NoteTab were able emulate the Windows key.

          >ALT+ENTER is the easiest way, it takes you directly to the properties.

          That is also good to know (and is listed on the web page I cited).

          But it doesn't accomplish anything in this context, as there is
          no easy way (without 3rd party utilities) for NoteTab to select and
          copy the text from the Properties Window. Getting the property
          window to display is a DEAD END! (That is, if our goal is to get
          the clip to KNOW how much space is used or free on the disk, and
          to be able to perform calculations or decisions based on it.
          Although at this point, I am not sure what Mark Halsall was really
          trying to do. If he simply wants to know how much space is free
          on his floppy disks, why does he need a clip?)
        • Ville Saalo
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13 8:05 AM
            >>>SHIFT+F10 is the same.
            >
            >I meant this for general information, as it is the only way to
            >emulate the "CONTEXT MENU" key from NoteTab's Keyboard clip command.

            Yeah, it's good to know those. I'll have a look at that page you linked to. :)

            >But it doesn't accomplish anything in this context, as there is
            >no easy way (without 3rd party utilities) for NoteTab to select and

            Well, the GetDosOutput and last line of "dir" command is a quite easy
            and the best (hmm, the only) way...

            >Although at this point, I am not sure what Mark Halsall was really
            >trying to do. If he simply wants to know how much space is free
            >on his floppy disks, why does he need a clip?)

            I guess he has got a good reason. %-)

            -Ville
          • Mark Halsall
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13 9:21 AM
              Thank you Wayne and Ville.

              >>>SHIFT+F10 is the same.

              > I meant this for general information, as it is the only way
              > to emulate the "CONTEXT MENU" key from NoteTab's Keyboard
              > clip command.

              >Though I do wish NoteTab were able emulate the Windows key.

              >>ALT+ENTER is the easiest way, it takes you directly to the properties.

              >That is also good to know (and is listed on the web page I cited).

              > But it doesn't accomplish anything in this context, as there
              > is no easy way (without 3rd party utilities) for NoteTab to
              > select and copy the text from the Properties Window. Getting
              > the property window to display is a DEAD END! (That is, if
              > our goal is to get the clip to KNOW how much space is used
              > or free on the disk, and to be able to perform calculations
              > or decisions based on it. Although at this point, I am not
              > sure what Mark Halsall was really trying to do. If he simply
              > wants to know how much space is free on his floppy disks,
              > why does he need a clip?)

              I'm sure I have all I need now - especially the ALT+ENTER.

              I have a backup clip to backup to various floppy disks, and I find it very
              annoying to get "Disk Full" messages. I think idea of a pie chart popping
              up after each disk is nice, so I can plan ahead if some disks are getting
              full. Given this, I guess the clip doesn't need to know how much free space
              there is - but if there were a function to capture this info it would be
              much simpler.

              I suppose if I were clever I'd just put a 200 kB dummy file in each disk
              which I could manually delete if I get a disk full message so at least I can
              get everything backed up before reorganising anything. On the other hand,
              the pie chart shows which disks have little disk space usage.

              Thanks again,
              MarkH
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 14 7:59 PM
                Hi Mark,

                >Can anyone advise how to capture the size of the contents of my
                >stiffy disks?
                >
                >^$GetFileSize(Filename)$ is the closest I can find so far.
                >
                >In general, I simply want to know how full my disk drives are!

                The simplest way to do that has been mentioned already; right
                click over the drive...

                <--- Copy below this line --->
                H=Drive Information
                ; Last updated on 04-14-2002, 09:42pm, jody
                ; http:/www.notetab.net, http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-orders.htm

                ^!Explorer /e, ^?[Enter drive letter=f:\]
                ^!Delay 1
                ^!IfDiff "^$GetAppTitle$" "^?[Enter drive letter]" Skip_-1
                ^!Keyboard Shift+F10 R

                <--- Copy above this line --->
                <--- Right click over a Library --->
                <--- and "Add from Clipboard" --->

                If you would like a nicely formatted list of all the files on a
                drive (folder and/or subfolders) with the file size of each file
                out to the right and also the total number of files and the total
                size, you could get my DirStuff and use one of a few Clips that
                will do that. However, that is very slow It takes Windows a bit
                of time do its parsing, but it will finish. I did my F:\ drive
                for kicks and it returned the full path and file size to 15,773
                files, a total of 1823.25MB. It took about 25 minutes according
                to the output time displays (which I get during different points
                in the process. I mainly made it (with the help of Claes
                Gauffin) so I could get a list of the Fookes Software CDs that I
                make and sale. For something like that it is idea. There is a
                Clip that will just return the number of files and total size as
                well which is much faster and can be reasonably used w/o too long
                of a wait. It took right at about one minute for the same drive
                mentioned above. It is the first Clip listed below.

                Check out the following Clips:

                H="Total FileSize 4.83... Gets the total file size of a folder (per options)."
                H="File Count..."
                H="FileCount/List/Size 4.83..."
                ; Last updated on 12-21-2000, Jody Adair and Claes Gauffin
                H="File List 4.83..."

                http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

                I believe there are some other DOS related Clips in there also.

                http://www.notetab.net