html - ar how's it work?

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2002
      For the first time, thanks to someone's misfortune of mistakenly invoking
      that library (thank you for asking the question on the list!) I actually
      understand what it does.

      What I don't seem to see is how it works. Obviously it is checking cursor
      and front and back to see when you have a recognizable snippet of a tag.
      But I don't see where that polling of the cursor character and surrounding
      characters looking for a match is occurring. Show me ... I am missing it.

      I do see the onOpen, but that is for instructions. I assume there is some
      other backend clip running to get the character polling going.

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2002
        >What I don't seem to see is how it works. Obviously it is checking cursor
        >and front and back to see when you have a recognizable snippet of a tag.
        >But I don't see where that polling of the cursor character and surrounding
        >characters looking for a match is occurring. Show me ... I am missing it.

        Just the auto replace feature. You type the name of a clip followed by a
        "trigger key", for instance spacebar, and the clip executes. You can make
        any library behave that way (Tools | Auto Replace Mode)

        Lotta
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2002
          aha! Very good tip and something I did not know
          I assume that either in the ini file or in the clip library itself somewhere
          the autoreplace selection choice for that library is preserved then so that
          on the next invocation of the library it is off and running again, correct?

          --
          Don Passenger
          mailto:dpasseng@...
          home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
          work: http://www.grcourt.org
          > >What I don't seem to see is how it works. Obviously it is checking
          cursor
          > >and front and back to see when you have a recognizable snippet of a tag.
          > >But I don't see where that polling of the cursor character and
          surrounding
          > >characters looking for a match is occurring. Show me ... I am missing
          it.

          > Just the auto replace feature. You type the name of a clip followed by a
          > "trigger key", for instance spacebar, and the clip executes. You can make
          > any library behave that way (Tools | Auto Replace Mode)
          >
          > Lotta

        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2002
            Don wrote:
            >I assume that either in the ini file or in the clip library itself somewhere
            >the autoreplace selection choice for that library is preserved then so that
            >on the next invocation of the library it is off and running again, correct?

            Open the library as a document and look at the header.
            = V5 MultiLine AutoReplace TabWidth=30

            That's all that's needed as far as I know. I never use auto replace
            libraries. Maybe I should start? ;-)

            Lotta
          • Alan C.
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2002
              Hi Don,

              I opened both AutoCorrect and Html-ar libraries as doc (open as document)
              so as to look at them.

              I'm not certain how it works.

              But it appears to me a common pattern exists between those two libraries.

              Common is Lotta's report about the autoreplace line at the very top.

              As far as the actual auto replacing: Also to me appears common is each
              clip's header seems it's the item that's checked or tested for preceding
              the cursor and that the clip's content then contains and handles the
              replace ingredients.

              Regards. Alan.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28, 2002
                The top line will toggle it on and off for a particular library it appears.
                It doesn't change the default state for the program to autoreplace mode.

                There is also a setting in the ini file:
                AutoReplace=1 or AutoReplace=0

                which goes to 0 if notetab is shut down after is turned off using
                tools/autoreplace or 1 if it is turned on in the same fasion. Thus, the
                next time the program is loaded, it goes on or off program wide depending on
                the prior status set in tools/autoreplace.

                Invoking the autoreplace via the top line of the clip library invokes it
                only for that library and doesn't affect the AutoReplace=* in the ini file.

                Interesting and good information. No matter how long I use this program, I
                find something great about it later that I didn't know. Eric is one smart
                dude to have had a handle on all of this. I bet he forgets things he built
                in here ...

                --
                Don Passenger
                mailto:dpasseng@...
                home: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                work: http://www.grcourt.org
                > I opened both AutoCorrect and Html-ar libraries as doc (open as document)
                > so as to look at them.
                >
                > I'm not certain how it works.
                >
                > But it appears to me a common pattern exists between those two libraries.
                >
                > Common is Lotta's report about the autoreplace line at the very top.
                >
                > As far as the actual auto replacing: Also to me appears common is each
                > clip's header seems it's the item that's checked or tested for preceding
                > the cursor and that the clip's content then contains and handles the
                > replace ingredients.
                >
                > Regards. Alan.
                >

                > >I assume that either in the ini file or in the clip library itself
                somewhere
                > >the autoreplace selection choice for that library is preserved then so
                that
                > >on the next invocation of the library it is off and running again,
                correct?

              • Eric G.V. Fookes
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 28, 2002
                  Hi Don,

                  >Interesting and good information. No matter how long I use this program, I
                  >find something great about it later that I didn't know. Eric is one smart
                  >dude to have had a handle on all of this. I bet he forgets things he built
                  >in here ...

                  I do forget, really <g>.

                  Regards,
                  Eric G.V. Fookes

                • Lotta
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 28, 2002
                    Alan you wrote:
                    >As far as the actual auto replacing: Also to me appears common is each
                    >clip's header seems it's the item that's checked or tested for preceding
                    >the cursor and that the clip's content then contains and handles the
                    >replace ingredients.

                    Yes, but it's probably hard coded in NTB since one can make any library
                    behave this way with the toolbar command. A better name would be Auto
                    Execute since it isn't limited to simple paste clips. Seems to me that what
                    happens when auto replace is enabled is that when a clip's name/header is
                    typed followed by one of the trigger keys the name is deleted from the
                    document and the corresponding clip is run.

                    Lotta