INI Data storage beyond 64k (poll)

  • ...Tyrell...
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hi Clippers

      I was wondering if there are any clippers out here that might be interested
      in a clip/module/cliplet that will allow for the data storage of large
      amount of data?

      I'm probably the only clipper that need more than 64k for clip data storage ;-)

      PS: I'm I correct in thinking that the NoteTab ini file limits are OS related?

      ...Tyrell...

    • stephen riddle
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002
        Hi Tyrell,
        Actually, I'm sure bunches of us have experienced these limits.
        Yes, the 64k limit on ini files is OS related, so there you have it.

        A huge data file would probably be arranged differently depending on exactly
        what you want to store in it. (Of course dataBase programs already decide
        what you need, but what kind of fun are they, anyway?)

        What I am doing for a current project of mine, is to store my data in files
        delimited in at least two different ways, then using those different
        delimiters to create arrays.

        Topics.dat :
        -topic I
        blah
        blah
        **qqqinfo
        blah blahblah
        **qqqinfo
        blah blah
        blah blah
        **qqqtpc-topic II
        blah
        **qqqinfo
        blah blablah
        **qqqinfo
        blah blahh
        **qqqtpc-topic III
        blah
        blah
        **qqqinfo
        blah blahblah
        **qqqinfo
        blah blah
        blah blah

        To read interpret Topics.dat, I would need to use something like this:

        ^!SetListDelimiter "**qqqtpc"
        ; I'm not sure if quotes are appropriate here.
        ^!SetArray %topics%=^$GetFileText("Topics.dat")$
        ^!SetListDelimiter "**qqinfo"
        ^!Set %topicsIndex%=0
        :topicsLoop
        ^!Inc %topicsIndex%
        ^!If ^%topicsIndex%>^%topics0% EndTopicsLoop ELSE NEXT
        ^!SetArray %infoList%=^%topics^%topicsIndex%%
        ^!set %infoIndex%=0
        :infoLoop
        ^!Inc %infoIndex%
        ^!If ^%infoIndex%>^%infoList0% EndInfoLoop ELSE NEXT
        CODE FOR InTERPRETiING THE INfo
        :EndInfoLoop
        ^!GoTo topicsLoop
        :EndTopicsLoop

        I'm sorry,
        I got carried away with the possibilities, and my sweetheart has supper
        waiting for me. Gotta go, but if you need, I can finish the clip tomorrow.
        T'care,
        Stephen

        On Saturday 02 March 2002 19:26, you wrote:
        > Hi Clippers
        >
        > I was wondering if there are any clippers out here that might be interested
        > in a clip/module/cliplet that will allow for the data storage of large
        > amount of data?
        >
        > I'm probably the only clipper that need more than 64k for clip data storage
        > ;-)
        >
        > PS: I'm I correct in thinking that the NoteTab ini file limits are OS
        > related?
        >
        > ...Tyrell...

      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002
          Hi Tyrell,

          In a library native to notetab, the SampleCode library, have you looked at
          its Far Clip Demo 2 clip? Not specifically an ini but it uses a data file
          that should have no limit on file size.

          I was unaware of the limit on ini file size.

          Alan

          At 04:26 AM 3/3/2002 +0100, you wrote:
          >Hi Clippers
          >
          >I was wondering if there are any clippers out here that might be interested
          >in a clip/module/cliplet that will allow for the data storage of large
          >amount of data?
          >
          >I'm probably the only clipper that need more than 64k for clip data
          >storage ;-)
          >
          >PS: I'm I correct in thinking that the NoteTab ini file limits are OS related?
          >
          >...Tyrell...
        • ...Tyrell...
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002
            Hi Stephen, Alan

            hehe, two mind one idea :-)

            I decided to also add the names of the variables used to the first
            main array entry, I look at this as a sort of memory dump to file.

            little example: ( delimiters ^%NL%+| )
            Serie_1|Serie_2 |Serie_3
            aaaaaaa|bbbbbb|cccccc
            1111|2222|33333|4444|444
            D:\Path\file1|D:\Path\file2

            I will drop what I have so far in the ntb-clips file section after I
            have finished with adding some extra clip info. (think that will be monday)
            And yes, If you can finish that clip, It might give me some new idea's

            Time to check out Alan's "Far Clip Demo 2" tip.

            O yea, I did a little test after that "Opening large files with a clip" mail
            and tested the code I already have with a 30MB data file ... ;-0
            NoteTab did not blink for one second, cool ;-)

            cheers

            ---- ---- ----
            >I'm sorry,
            >I got carried away with the possibilities, and my sweetheart has supper
            >waiting for me. Gotta go, but if you need, I can finish the clip tomorrow.
            >T'care,
            >Stephen
            >

            >On Saturday 02 March 2002 19:26, you wrote:
            > > Hi Clippers
            > >
            > > I was wondering if there are any clippers out here that might be interested
            > > in a clip/module/cliplet that will allow for the data storage of large
            > > amount of data?
            > >
            > > I'm probably the only clipper that need more than 64k for clip data storage
            > > ;-)
            > >
            > > PS: I'm I correct in thinking that the NoteTab ini file limits are OS
            > > related?
            > >
            > > ...Tyrell...

          • ...Tyrell...
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2002
              Hi Alan

              >In a library native to notetab, the SampleCode library, have you looked at
              >its Far Clip Demo 2 clip? Not specifically an ini but it uses a data file
              >that should have no limit on file size.

              Well, its not really a data file,
              its more like a undercover clipbook with a dat extention ;-)

              >I was unaware of the limit on ini file size.

              The two main limits to be aware of are.
              1) The total ini file size, this limit is about ~64kb
              under normal use that not a problem.
              2) the maximal retrievable date per [GetValue] command,
              this is 2047 (or 2048), and I'm not sure if this one is also system dependent.
              If I remember correct, the [GetValue] will give the last 2047 character of
              the string.

              ...Tyrell...

            • Martyn Folkes
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2002
                I was unaware of the limit, too. A little research on the internet reveals
                that the limit only applies in Win95/98, not in 2000 or XP.

                Tyrell's message could not have arrived at a better time for me as I am
                writing a clip that relies heavily on an ini file to store data which will
                easily exceed the 64k limit. So I am rewriting using a seperate ini file for
                each section (or group of sections, actually).

                Does anyone know if there are any issues with referencing multiple ini files
                in a single clip (ie., using multiple ^!SetIniFile commands)?

                Martyn

              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2002
                  On 3/3/02 3:20 PM, Martyn Folkes wrote:

                  >I was unaware of the limit, too. A little research on the internet reveals
                  >that the limit only applies in Win95/98, not in 2000 or XP.
                  >
                  >Tyrell's message could not have arrived at a better time for me as I am
                  >writing a clip that relies heavily on an ini file to store data which will
                  >easily exceed the 64k limit. So I am rewriting using a seperate ini file for
                  >each section (or group of sections, actually).
                  >
                  >Does anyone know if there are any issues with referencing multiple ini files
                  >in a single clip (ie., using multiple ^!SetIniFile commands)?
                  >
                  >Martyn

                  Hi,

                  I have several clips that reference 2 ini files and a couple of clips
                  that reference 3 ini's. They work beautifully. Just don't get your
                  ^!SetIniFile's mixed up.

                  hrs
                • stephen riddle
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 4, 2002
                    Hi Tyrell and Everyone.
                    I've pretty much finished my clip, a library actually.
                    Whoever wants it it is at:
                    http://www.blueneptune.com/~stephen/zip/clipbarMagic.zip
                    .

                    Data storage is not the libarary's purpose so much as using the clipbar
                    (available in Note Pro and Note Tab Std) to provide as much as possible of
                    the functionality of the ClipLibrary Combo Window (which goes into tilt
                    operating Note Tab under WINE {Windows Emulator for Linux}). To do that, I
                    needed to create a large data file with names of all clips.
                    What you need, Tyrell, may be much more complex than what I have , at least
                    so far, but there it is anyhow.
                    Good Luck,
                    Stephen