Re: [Clip] Mail Merge (was Printing an html file)

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2002
      Hi Brian,

      Try the following for a basic Clip.
      ^!FocusApp
      ^!Keyboard [Keyboard keys]

      >Reading this thread is giving me an idea--the idea of passing
      >commands to an external program.

      You can set the Clipboard via ^!SetClipboard and then with
      ^!Keyboard use Ctrl+V after Alt+ keys to get you in the correct
      field you want.

      >IF this is possible, is it possible to compare two lists (last
      >weeks bounces and this weeks) and delete those addresses NOT on
      >"this week's" list?

      With a Clip it could be done, but I do not have the time to do it.

      http://www.notetab.net

    • Peter Steeper
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2002
        Hi Brian,
        I have attached a clip that used last year to send out 200-300 email messages automatically.
        It doesn't do exactly what you need to do but it might give you some ideas.

        There's no comments in the text so I hope you can follow it.

        I used this to send out scores from an international photography competition. All the scoring information was in an MS-Access database. We were to generate an html file for each entrant in the competition using the report functions in Access. This produced over 200 html files containing each contestant's address, email and scores. The htnl files were saved in one directory.

        In Notetab Pro I could open all the html files at once then I ran the clip.

        This clip searched each file for an email address and then switched to Outlook to create the email address. It opened a new message inserted the email address and subject. Then it flipped back to Notetab and copied the html and sent the message.

        I had to put some timing delays in to make it work. If you have a faster computer you may be able to reduce the delays. I remember it running for a couple of hours on a Friday night to send the emails but I time to do other things.

        I hope you find this helpful.

        Peter Steeper
        Halifax, Nova Scotia

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2002
          Peter Steeper wrote:

          (snip)

          First, Jody--thanks. That's the first step--just knowing if something
          is possible.

          Peter--grrrreat. Wonderful. A digression about how great...

          I know absolutely nothing about clip language (except that ^! prefaces a
          command) and this gives me something to sink my teeth into. As an
          ex-primary-school teacher and ex-teaching chef (as sous chef it was my
          job to teach the line cooks, many of whom didn't know a saucepan from a
          cake pan) I found everyone learns things differently.

          My way is to learn what I need in a narrow focus and eventually it'll
          fall together. I think now I know _which_ commands to examine and find
          out _what_ they do, I can adapt this clip to my needs.

          Fantastic.

          B/