Re: [Clip] executing clips within ntp dialog box

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
      Hi Jody,

      I'm trying to learn from the clip you sent to David. Please explain the
      following line of code:

      ^!Set %data%=^?{Search &Disk Criteria=_Selected
      text^=^$GetSelection$|^%data%}

      When one line of code has three equal signs like this one, what is the order
      of execution and what data is being stored into which variable(s)? What is
      the significance of the ampersand in "&Disk"?

      I ran the clip and these questions still remain.

      Thanks for the help,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2001
        Hi Ray,

        >^!Set %data%=^?{Search &Disk Criteria=_Selected text^=^$GetSelection$|^%data%}
        >
        >When one line of code has three equal signs like this one, what
        >is the order of execution and what data is being stored into
        >which variable(s)? What is the significance of the ampersand in
        >"&Disk"?

        These happen in the order I have them according to the Help file.
        I think I covered them all and got it all correct. <g> Look in
        Clip Language - Introduction under Parsing and evaluation
        sequence if you misplace the chart. As away until you get use to
        reading the chart though.

        1. Variables resolved (from right to left)
        a. ^%data% in this case
        3. Functions resolved (from right to left)
        a. ^$GetSelection$ in this case
        4. Clip wizard based on ^?{...} fields in line displayed
        a. & sign in front of Disk causes the "D" to be underlined for Shortcut (Alt+D)
        b. ^= is used to display a tip about what is actually being evaluated (data on
        the right such as ^$GetSelection$. It can also be used for when multiple
        functions are desired in the Clip.
        c. ^?{Search &Disk Criteria... pops up
        d. Default value (_) Selected text is showing in field
        5. Clip Command executed
        a. I suppose that leaves us waiting on user to do something :-)
        b. If OK is clicked with default, then %data% gets set to the text selected, if any
        c. If Cancel is clicked, then the script ends unless the ^!IfCancel code is there
        d. If the field for data input is double clicked, the contents of %data% set in *a*
        previous line comes in view in the input field. Assuming OK is clicked, %data%
        will be reset do to the command ^!Set.

        Parsing and evaluation sequence

        A. Whole Clip

        1. Comments removed
        2. Date fields evaluated ^[...^] (old format)
        3. Text selection inserted if ^& found
        4. ^!CONTINUE command executed if on first line
        5. Clip wizard based on ^?[...] fields displayed
        6. Mathematical fields evaluated ^$[...] (old format)

        B. Line by line

        1. Variables resolved (from right to left)
        2. Document name using ^*, ^**, ^#, ^## codes resolved

        http://www.notetab.net