executing clips within ntp dialog box

  • dheflick
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
      Has anyone figured out how to get a clip to paste clipboard content or
      variables into a ntp dialog-box? I'm trying to write a clip that will
      paste clipboard content into ntp's disk-search dialog box, since there
      seems to be no command that will allow me to specify search criteria
      execute a disk search operation from within a clip.

      Thanks,

      David Heflick
      dheflick@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
        Hi David,

        >Has anyone figured out how to get a clip to paste clipboard content or
        >variables into a ntp dialog-box? I'm trying to write a clip that will
        >paste clipboard content into ntp's disk-search dialog box, since there
        >seems to be no command that will allow me to specify search criteria
        >execute a disk search operation from within a clip.

        To see variables and functions in a Clip Wizard you must use braces
        instead of brackets.

        ; ^!Set %data%=^?{Search &Disk Criteria=^$GetSelection$}
        ; ^!Set %data%=^?{Search &Disk Criteria=^$GetClipboard$}
        ^!Set %data%=^$GetClipboard$
        ^!Set %data%=^?{Search &Disk Criteria=_Selected text^=^$GetSelection$|^%data%}
        ^!Toolbar Search Disk
        ^!Keyboard Ctrl+D &20 #^%data%#
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2001
          Hi Jody,

          I'm trying to learn from the clip you sent to David. Please explain the
          following line of code:

          ^!Set %data%=^?{Search &Disk Criteria=_Selected
          text^=^$GetSelection$|^%data%}

          When one line of code has three equal signs like this one, what is the order
          of execution and what data is being stored into which variable(s)? What is
          the significance of the ampersand in "&Disk"?

          I ran the clip and these questions still remain.

          Thanks for the help,

          Ray Shapp
          Watchung, NJ
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2001
            Hi Ray,

            >^!Set %data%=^?{Search &Disk Criteria=_Selected text^=^$GetSelection$|^%data%}
            >
            >When one line of code has three equal signs like this one, what
            >is the order of execution and what data is being stored into
            >which variable(s)? What is the significance of the ampersand in
            >"&Disk"?

            These happen in the order I have them according to the Help file.
            I think I covered them all and got it all correct. <g> Look in
            Clip Language - Introduction under Parsing and evaluation
            sequence if you misplace the chart. As away until you get use to
            reading the chart though.

            1. Variables resolved (from right to left)
            a. ^%data% in this case
            3. Functions resolved (from right to left)
            a. ^$GetSelection$ in this case
            4. Clip wizard based on ^?{...} fields in line displayed
            a. & sign in front of Disk causes the "D" to be underlined for Shortcut (Alt+D)
            b. ^= is used to display a tip about what is actually being evaluated (data on
            the right such as ^$GetSelection$. It can also be used for when multiple
            functions are desired in the Clip.
            c. ^?{Search &Disk Criteria... pops up
            d. Default value (_) Selected text is showing in field
            5. Clip Command executed
            a. I suppose that leaves us waiting on user to do something :-)
            b. If OK is clicked with default, then %data% gets set to the text selected, if any
            c. If Cancel is clicked, then the script ends unless the ^!IfCancel code is there
            d. If the field for data input is double clicked, the contents of %data% set in *a*
            previous line comes in view in the input field. Assuming OK is clicked, %data%
            will be reset do to the command ^!Set.

            Parsing and evaluation sequence

            A. Whole Clip

            1. Comments removed
            2. Date fields evaluated ^[...^] (old format)
            3. Text selection inserted if ^& found
            4. ^!CONTINUE command executed if on first line
            5. Clip wizard based on ^?[...] fields displayed
            6. Mathematical fields evaluated ^$[...] (old format)

            B. Line by line

            1. Variables resolved (from right to left)
            2. Document name using ^*, ^**, ^#, ^## codes resolved

            http://www.notetab.net