Re: [Clip] Re: clip to change Explorer view to focused file?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
      John, Tyrell,theFrank:

      >>So starting with
      > thefrank's clip and Tyrell's addition, I ended up with the following
      > which works all right on my system (Windows ME and NTP 4.86). <<

      All versions work well on my system (Win98 ntb 4.86) but don't reuse an
      already open Explorer window - no big deal. (I thought it might be keyed to
      the "Explorer=Tools-Folder Options-General-Folder Options-Custom
      Settings-Open each folder in {same|own} window" option but apparently not)

      The one shortcoming of all the versions using the "select" command parameter
      to pre-select the file is that focus is left in the left window.

      Hitting [F6] when the explorer window comes up, switches to the right side -
      Can anybody think of a way to get this done from the clip?

      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
        Hi all,

        Alec wrote:

        The one shortcoming of all the versions using the "select" command
        parameter to pre-select the file is that focus is left in the left
        window.

        Hitting [F6] when the explorer window comes up, switches to the right
        side - Can anybody think of a way to get this done from the clip?

        ---------------------------

        Working on what already was proposed, I added a %File%-variable,
        which is typed in the right-hand pane (TAB / SHIFT TAB to switch
        panes)... I noticed that the timing may require some tweaking. Delay
        20 works for me, but use it with care. I also noticed that NoteTab
        tends to hang if the explorer-window cannot be refreshed properly.
        (Happened twice, but I do not know exactly when - The Clipbar turned
        empty - CTRL+ALT+DELETE worked after waiting 15 seconds or so).

        About Keyboard ALT+F4 to exit Explorer: yes, there are some
        applications that do not exactly what you'd expect. Especially system-
        based tools such as Explorer, Find etc. tend to ignore these keyboard-
        strings. I think you'll habve to live with the workarounds...

        Regards,

        Hugo

        ^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
        ^!Set %File%=^$GetFileName(^**)$
        ^!SetClipboard=^%DirName%
        ^!FocusApp Exploring*
        ^!IfError OPENExplorer ELSE AlreadyOPEN
        :AlreadyOPEN
        ^!Keyboard ALT+D
        ^!Keyboard CTRL+V ENTER
        ^!Delay 20
        ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB #^%File%#
        ^!GoTo EXIT
        :OPENExplorer
        ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%
        ^!Delay 20
        ^!Keyboard TAB #^%File%#
      • Tyrell_RR@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
          Hi All

          Variable delay:

          Shell Explorer OR Keyboard ALT+D ... CTRL+V ENTER
          ; ---
          ^!Delay 1
          ^!FocusApp Exploring - ^$StrDeleteRight(^$GetPath(^**)$;1)$
          ^!IfError SKIP_-2
          ; ---
          (swith to files plane after opening new explorer)
          ^!Keyboard TAB
          Or (select filename after adress bar paste)
          ^!Keyboard TAB TAB TAB #^$GetFileName(^**)$#

          This delay should (?) work on any system, slow or fast
          Adjust FocusApp to match you windows version

          ---
          About Keyboard ALT+F4 to exit Explorer: yes, there are some
          applications that do not exactly what you'd expect. Especially system-
          based tools such as Explorer, Find etc. tend to ignore these keyboard-
          strings. I think you'll habve to live with the workarounds...
          ---
          Tnx Hugo

          ...Tyrell...
        • Jonathan Woodbridge
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
            Reading the improvements on the clip I put together, I've tried Hugo's clip
            with Tyrell's variable delay and it works very nicely indeed. Thanks to all
            who've contributed.

            Jonathan
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
              Hi Jonathon,

              If you have an older copy of Windows installed like W95 look for
              Tips.txt in the Windows folder. It has a number of examples to
              open Windows Explorer from an application using the format of
              what Alan posted below. ...and yes, I have posted something
              similar to this post a few times along with others. :-)

              >Here's the part of the picture that I know.
              >
              > > I'm wondering if anyone has done a clip that will open a window
              > > in Windows Explorer to show the current focused file in Notetab?
              >
              >^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
              >^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%

              http://www.notetab.net

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                Hi All:

                > ^!FocusApp Exploring - ^$StrDeleteRight(^$GetPath(^**)$;1)$
                I hadn't really focused on this (pun intendended;-) but ...

                in Folder Options - View [x] Display full path in title bar : I think this
                value has to be taken into account when running these clips (right?)

                It may explain why some of the examples didn't work for me - I'll have to go
                back and check. I suspect a generic solution (for the non-clip programmer
                (basically me!) has to either interrogate the registry or test one then the
                other.

                We'd better watch out - if Bill Gates finds us cooperatively programming
                like this he may put a curse on our 'puters.

                Regards ... Alec