Re: [Clip] Re: clip to change Explorer view to focused file?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2001
      Tyrell
      > small update:
      > ^!Shell explorer.exe /e,/select,"^**"
      >
      > [win98se]
      > this will still open a new window,
      > but now also select the document in the left files plane.
      > note that the focus on opening is on the right maps plane,
      > so the selection is not directly apparent.

      Nice touch ... I was pretty sure there was a way to get that done ;--)

      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
        I have a feeling the results of this exercise will depend a lot upon
        the operating system being used.

        I like thefrank's clip for its simplicity, but on my system it would
        not do one of the things Jonathan wanted. That is to not open a new
        Explorer window if a matching one was already open. So starting with
        thefrank's clip and Tyrell's addition, I ended up with the following
        which works all right on my system (Windows ME and NTP 4.86). In an
        effort to keep Yahoo from breaking up the lines below, I used
        individual ^!Set commands instead of combining them.

        This has been an interesting exercise, thanks for bring this up
        Jonathan..
        John

        ; OPERATING SYSTEM THIS WAS MADE ON: WINDOWS ME
        ; USING NTP VER. 4.86

        ^!Set %DirName%=^$GetPath(^**)$
        ; EXTRACT EXPLORER WINDOW NAME
        ^!Set %temp%=^$StrDeleteRight("^%DirName%";1)$
        ^!Set %RightSlash%=^$StrPosRight("\";"^%temp%";True)$
        ^!Set %WindowName%=^$StrDeleteLeft("^%temp%";^%RightSlash%)$

        ^!FocusApp ^%WindowName%
        ^!IfError Next Else End
        ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,"^**"
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
          John, Tyrell,theFrank:

          >>So starting with
          > thefrank's clip and Tyrell's addition, I ended up with the following
          > which works all right on my system (Windows ME and NTP 4.86). <<

          All versions work well on my system (Win98 ntb 4.86) but don't reuse an
          already open Explorer window - no big deal. (I thought it might be keyed to
          the "Explorer=Tools-Folder Options-General-Folder Options-Custom
          Settings-Open each folder in {same|own} window" option but apparently not)

          The one shortcoming of all the versions using the "select" command parameter
          to pre-select the file is that focus is left in the left window.

          Hitting [F6] when the explorer window comes up, switches to the right side -
          Can anybody think of a way to get this done from the clip?

          Regards ... Alec
          > I have a feeling the results of this exercise will depend a lot upon
          > the operating system being used.
          >
          > I like thefrank's clip for its simplicity, but on my system it would
          > not do one of the things Jonathan wanted. That is to not open a new
          > Explorer window if a matching one was already open. So starting with
          > thefrank's clip and Tyrell's addition, I ended up with the following
          > which works all right on my system (Windows ME and NTP 4.86). In an
          > effort to keep Yahoo from breaking up the lines below, I used
          > individual ^!Set commands instead of combining them.
          >
          > This has been an interesting exercise, thanks for bring this up
          > Jonathan..
          > John
          >
          > ; OPERATING SYSTEM THIS WAS MADE ON: WINDOWS ME
          > ; USING NTP VER. 4.86
          >
          > ^!Set %DirName%=^$GetPath(^**)$
          > ; EXTRACT EXPLORER WINDOW NAME
          > ^!Set %temp%=^$StrDeleteRight("^%DirName%";1)$
          > ^!Set %RightSlash%=^$StrPosRight("\";"^%temp%";True)$
          > ^!Set %WindowName%=^$StrDeleteLeft("^%temp%";^%RightSlash%)$
          >
          > ^!FocusApp ^%WindowName%
          > ^!IfError Next Else End
          > ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,"^**"

        • Hugo
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
            Hi all,

            Alec wrote:

            The one shortcoming of all the versions using the "select" command
            parameter to pre-select the file is that focus is left in the left
            window.

            Hitting [F6] when the explorer window comes up, switches to the right
            side - Can anybody think of a way to get this done from the clip?

            ---------------------------

            Working on what already was proposed, I added a %File%-variable,
            which is typed in the right-hand pane (TAB / SHIFT TAB to switch
            panes)... I noticed that the timing may require some tweaking. Delay
            20 works for me, but use it with care. I also noticed that NoteTab
            tends to hang if the explorer-window cannot be refreshed properly.
            (Happened twice, but I do not know exactly when - The Clipbar turned
            empty - CTRL+ALT+DELETE worked after waiting 15 seconds or so).

            About Keyboard ALT+F4 to exit Explorer: yes, there are some
            applications that do not exactly what you'd expect. Especially system-
            based tools such as Explorer, Find etc. tend to ignore these keyboard-
            strings. I think you'll habve to live with the workarounds...

            Regards,

            Hugo

            ^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
            ^!Set %File%=^$GetFileName(^**)$
            ^!SetClipboard=^%DirName%
            ^!FocusApp Exploring*
            ^!IfError OPENExplorer ELSE AlreadyOPEN
            :AlreadyOPEN
            ^!Keyboard ALT+D
            ^!Keyboard CTRL+V ENTER
            ^!Delay 20
            ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB #^%File%#
            ^!GoTo EXIT
            :OPENExplorer
            ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%
            ^!Delay 20
            ^!Keyboard TAB #^%File%#
          • Tyrell_RR@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
              Hi All

              Variable delay:

              Shell Explorer OR Keyboard ALT+D ... CTRL+V ENTER
              ; ---
              ^!Delay 1
              ^!FocusApp Exploring - ^$StrDeleteRight(^$GetPath(^**)$;1)$
              ^!IfError SKIP_-2
              ; ---
              (swith to files plane after opening new explorer)
              ^!Keyboard TAB
              Or (select filename after adress bar paste)
              ^!Keyboard TAB TAB TAB #^$GetFileName(^**)$#

              This delay should (?) work on any system, slow or fast
              Adjust FocusApp to match you windows version

              ---
              About Keyboard ALT+F4 to exit Explorer: yes, there are some
              applications that do not exactly what you'd expect. Especially system-
              based tools such as Explorer, Find etc. tend to ignore these keyboard-
              strings. I think you'll habve to live with the workarounds...
              ---
              Tnx Hugo

              ...Tyrell...
            • Jonathan Woodbridge
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                Reading the improvements on the clip I put together, I've tried Hugo's clip
                with Tyrell's variable delay and it works very nicely indeed. Thanks to all
                who've contributed.

                Jonathan
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                  Hi Jonathon,

                  If you have an older copy of Windows installed like W95 look for
                  Tips.txt in the Windows folder. It has a number of examples to
                  open Windows Explorer from an application using the format of
                  what Alan posted below. ...and yes, I have posted something
                  similar to this post a few times along with others. :-)

                  >Here's the part of the picture that I know.
                  >
                  > > I'm wondering if anyone has done a clip that will open a window
                  > > in Windows Explorer to show the current focused file in Notetab?
                  >
                  >^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
                  >^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%

                  http://www.notetab.net

                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                    Hi All:

                    > ^!FocusApp Exploring - ^$StrDeleteRight(^$GetPath(^**)$;1)$
                    I hadn't really focused on this (pun intendended;-) but ...

                    in Folder Options - View [x] Display full path in title bar : I think this
                    value has to be taken into account when running these clips (right?)

                    It may explain why some of the examples didn't work for me - I'll have to go
                    back and check. I suspect a generic solution (for the non-clip programmer
                    (basically me!) has to either interrogate the registry or test one then the
                    other.

                    We'd better watch out - if Bill Gates finds us cooperatively programming
                    like this he may put a curse on our 'puters.

                    Regards ... Alec