Re: [Clip] Re: clip to change Explorer view to focused file?

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2001
      Hi Jonathon,

      Marvel idea, send keystrokes, use the explorer address field I hadn't
      thought of that possibility.

      I needed a goto end as where I placed it in clip below. some systems of
      differing speed could need the delay command as below.

      Also available is
      ^!IfAppOpen AppTitle GoToLabelTrue [ELSE GoToLabelFalse] (added in v4.52)
      but if the iferror works ok for you

      My system off or something 'cause is no exploring up in titlebar instead is
      dirname of the current dir. so ^!FocusApp Exploring* not gonna work for
      me unless I find a setting I can change. Oh well.

      Glad it worked out for you. I see Tyrell already has an update. This is
      why I said "the part of the picture that I know" :-) see how much more
      from yourself and group is already out now

      >; get directory and file name, put it in a variable
      >^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
      >; put this info in the clipboard
      >^!SetClipboard ^%Dirname%
      >; switch to Explorer if it's running
      >^!FocusApp Exploring*
      >; if it's not, then start it
      >^!IfError Next Else GotoDir
      >^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%
      ^!Goto end
      >:GotoDir
      ; delay optional on some systems if accidentally dumps
      ; into NoteTab instead of into explorer
      ^!Delay 3
      >;highlight address field
      >^!Keyboard ALT+D
      >;paste directory in and go
      >^!Keyboard CTRL+V ENTER

      Regards. Alan.
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2001
        Tyrell
        > small update:
        > ^!Shell explorer.exe /e,/select,"^**"
        >
        > [win98se]
        > this will still open a new window,
        > but now also select the document in the left files plane.
        > note that the focus on opening is on the right maps plane,
        > so the selection is not directly apparent.

        Nice touch ... I was pretty sure there was a way to get that done ;--)

        Regards ... Alec
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
          I have a feeling the results of this exercise will depend a lot upon
          the operating system being used.

          I like thefrank's clip for its simplicity, but on my system it would
          not do one of the things Jonathan wanted. That is to not open a new
          Explorer window if a matching one was already open. So starting with
          thefrank's clip and Tyrell's addition, I ended up with the following
          which works all right on my system (Windows ME and NTP 4.86). In an
          effort to keep Yahoo from breaking up the lines below, I used
          individual ^!Set commands instead of combining them.

          This has been an interesting exercise, thanks for bring this up
          Jonathan..
          John

          ; OPERATING SYSTEM THIS WAS MADE ON: WINDOWS ME
          ; USING NTP VER. 4.86

          ^!Set %DirName%=^$GetPath(^**)$
          ; EXTRACT EXPLORER WINDOW NAME
          ^!Set %temp%=^$StrDeleteRight("^%DirName%";1)$
          ^!Set %RightSlash%=^$StrPosRight("\";"^%temp%";True)$
          ^!Set %WindowName%=^$StrDeleteLeft("^%temp%";^%RightSlash%)$

          ^!FocusApp ^%WindowName%
          ^!IfError Next Else End
          ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,"^**"
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
            John, Tyrell,theFrank:

            >>So starting with
            > thefrank's clip and Tyrell's addition, I ended up with the following
            > which works all right on my system (Windows ME and NTP 4.86). <<

            All versions work well on my system (Win98 ntb 4.86) but don't reuse an
            already open Explorer window - no big deal. (I thought it might be keyed to
            the "Explorer=Tools-Folder Options-General-Folder Options-Custom
            Settings-Open each folder in {same|own} window" option but apparently not)

            The one shortcoming of all the versions using the "select" command parameter
            to pre-select the file is that focus is left in the left window.

            Hitting [F6] when the explorer window comes up, switches to the right side -
            Can anybody think of a way to get this done from the clip?

            Regards ... Alec
            > I have a feeling the results of this exercise will depend a lot upon
            > the operating system being used.
            >
            > I like thefrank's clip for its simplicity, but on my system it would
            > not do one of the things Jonathan wanted. That is to not open a new
            > Explorer window if a matching one was already open. So starting with
            > thefrank's clip and Tyrell's addition, I ended up with the following
            > which works all right on my system (Windows ME and NTP 4.86). In an
            > effort to keep Yahoo from breaking up the lines below, I used
            > individual ^!Set commands instead of combining them.
            >
            > This has been an interesting exercise, thanks for bring this up
            > Jonathan..
            > John
            >
            > ; OPERATING SYSTEM THIS WAS MADE ON: WINDOWS ME
            > ; USING NTP VER. 4.86
            >
            > ^!Set %DirName%=^$GetPath(^**)$
            > ; EXTRACT EXPLORER WINDOW NAME
            > ^!Set %temp%=^$StrDeleteRight("^%DirName%";1)$
            > ^!Set %RightSlash%=^$StrPosRight("\";"^%temp%";True)$
            > ^!Set %WindowName%=^$StrDeleteLeft("^%temp%";^%RightSlash%)$
            >
            > ^!FocusApp ^%WindowName%
            > ^!IfError Next Else End
            > ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,"^**"

          • Hugo
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
              Hi all,

              Alec wrote:

              The one shortcoming of all the versions using the "select" command
              parameter to pre-select the file is that focus is left in the left
              window.

              Hitting [F6] when the explorer window comes up, switches to the right
              side - Can anybody think of a way to get this done from the clip?

              ---------------------------

              Working on what already was proposed, I added a %File%-variable,
              which is typed in the right-hand pane (TAB / SHIFT TAB to switch
              panes)... I noticed that the timing may require some tweaking. Delay
              20 works for me, but use it with care. I also noticed that NoteTab
              tends to hang if the explorer-window cannot be refreshed properly.
              (Happened twice, but I do not know exactly when - The Clipbar turned
              empty - CTRL+ALT+DELETE worked after waiting 15 seconds or so).

              About Keyboard ALT+F4 to exit Explorer: yes, there are some
              applications that do not exactly what you'd expect. Especially system-
              based tools such as Explorer, Find etc. tend to ignore these keyboard-
              strings. I think you'll habve to live with the workarounds...

              Regards,

              Hugo

              ^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
              ^!Set %File%=^$GetFileName(^**)$
              ^!SetClipboard=^%DirName%
              ^!FocusApp Exploring*
              ^!IfError OPENExplorer ELSE AlreadyOPEN
              :AlreadyOPEN
              ^!Keyboard ALT+D
              ^!Keyboard CTRL+V ENTER
              ^!Delay 20
              ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB #^%File%#
              ^!GoTo EXIT
              :OPENExplorer
              ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%
              ^!Delay 20
              ^!Keyboard TAB #^%File%#
            • Tyrell_RR@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                Hi All

                Variable delay:

                Shell Explorer OR Keyboard ALT+D ... CTRL+V ENTER
                ; ---
                ^!Delay 1
                ^!FocusApp Exploring - ^$StrDeleteRight(^$GetPath(^**)$;1)$
                ^!IfError SKIP_-2
                ; ---
                (swith to files plane after opening new explorer)
                ^!Keyboard TAB
                Or (select filename after adress bar paste)
                ^!Keyboard TAB TAB TAB #^$GetFileName(^**)$#

                This delay should (?) work on any system, slow or fast
                Adjust FocusApp to match you windows version

                ---
                About Keyboard ALT+F4 to exit Explorer: yes, there are some
                applications that do not exactly what you'd expect. Especially system-
                based tools such as Explorer, Find etc. tend to ignore these keyboard-
                strings. I think you'll habve to live with the workarounds...
                ---
                Tnx Hugo

                ...Tyrell...
              • Jonathan Woodbridge
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                  Reading the improvements on the clip I put together, I've tried Hugo's clip
                  with Tyrell's variable delay and it works very nicely indeed. Thanks to all
                  who've contributed.

                  Jonathan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                    Hi Jonathon,

                    If you have an older copy of Windows installed like W95 look for
                    Tips.txt in the Windows folder. It has a number of examples to
                    open Windows Explorer from an application using the format of
                    what Alan posted below. ...and yes, I have posted something
                    similar to this post a few times along with others. :-)

                    >Here's the part of the picture that I know.
                    >
                    > > I'm wondering if anyone has done a clip that will open a window
                    > > in Windows Explorer to show the current focused file in Notetab?
                    >
                    >^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
                    >^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%

                    http://www.notetab.net

                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                      Hi All:

                      > ^!FocusApp Exploring - ^$StrDeleteRight(^$GetPath(^**)$;1)$
                      I hadn't really focused on this (pun intendended;-) but ...

                      in Folder Options - View [x] Display full path in title bar : I think this
                      value has to be taken into account when running these clips (right?)

                      It may explain why some of the examples didn't work for me - I'll have to go
                      back and check. I suspect a generic solution (for the non-clip programmer
                      (basically me!) has to either interrogate the registry or test one then the
                      other.

                      We'd better watch out - if Bill Gates finds us cooperatively programming
                      like this he may put a curse on our 'puters.

                      Regards ... Alec