clip to change Explorer view to focused file?

  • Jonathan Woodbridge
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2001
      I'm wondering if anyone has done a clip that will open a window in Windows
      Explorer to show the current focused file in Notetab? I run Windows Explorer
      nearly all the time, so I'd like the clip to if possible, change the view of
      the currently open Windows Explorer to the directory of the focused file,
      and only open a new window if Explorer isn't running. I'm sure Jody has
      written about three of these, right?

      Jonathan
    • Alan C.
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 30, 2001
        Hi Jonathon,

        Here's the part of the picture that I know.

        >I'm wondering if anyone has done a clip that will open a window in Windows
        >Explorer to show the current focused file in Notetab?

        ^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
        ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%

        it could be that on path with space in path name you might need quotes on
        the dirname variable thus

        ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, "^%Dirname%"

        >I run Windows Explorer
        >nearly all the time, so I'd like the clip to if possible, change the view of
        >the currently open Windows Explorer to the directory of the focused file,

        ^!FarClip Utilities:Explorer

        focuses or opens if not open

        However, I only know that the explorer takes a command on the commandline,
        that is, whenever launching as opposed to focusing explorer. so, might not
        be able focus and change dir. can try it though. if need, perhaps a
        launch of not a 2nd one but of the explorer that's already open providing
        that explorer's command switches and options support that.

        Alan.
      • Stephen Riddle
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 30, 2001
          Hooray Alan,

          I was just wondering sometingin along those lines

          "Alan C." wrote:

          > Hi Jonathon,
          >
          > Here's the part of the picture that I know.
          >
          > >I'm wondering if anyone has done a clip that will open a window in Windows
          > >Explorer to show the current focused file in Notetab?
          >
          > ^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
          > ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%

        • thefrank
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2001
            Hi Jonathan,

            Here is the one that I use. It opens to the correct directory in
            WinExplorer:

            ^!FocusApp Exploring*
            ^!Set %DirName%=^$GetPath(^**)$
            ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, "^%DirName%"
            ^!IfError Next Else End
            ^!explorer.exe

            You could modify to do exactly what you want...

            Regards,

            tf

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2001
              Thanks, Alan, for your help.

              I put together this clip that works for me to open a focused file in Notetab
              in an Explorer window. I wish I'd thought of this before, it works so
              nicely!

              ; ViewFocusedFileinExplorer
              ; Opens running Windows Explorer at directory of focused file
              ; If Explorer isn't running, it opens it at the same directory.

              ; get directory and file name, put it in a variable
              ^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
              ; put this info in the clipboard
              ^!SetClipboard ^%Dirname%
              ; switch to Explorer if it's running
              ^!FocusApp Exploring*
              ; if it's not, then start it
              ^!IfError Next Else GotoDir
              ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%
              :GotoDir
              ;highlight address field
              ^!Keyboard ALT+D
              ;paste directory in and go
              ^!Keyboard CTRL+V ENTER
            • Tyrell_RR@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2001
                small update:

                ^!Shell explorer.exe /e,/select,"^**"

                [win98se]
                this will still open a new window,
                but now also select the document in the left files plane.
                note that the focus on opening is on the right maps plane,
                so the selection is not directly apparent.

                http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q130510
                http://cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/technical/WinExplorer/CommandLineOption
                s.htm

                ...Tyrell...
              • Alan C.
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2001
                  Hi Jonathon,

                  Marvel idea, send keystrokes, use the explorer address field I hadn't
                  thought of that possibility.

                  I needed a goto end as where I placed it in clip below. some systems of
                  differing speed could need the delay command as below.

                  Also available is
                  ^!IfAppOpen AppTitle GoToLabelTrue [ELSE GoToLabelFalse] (added in v4.52)
                  but if the iferror works ok for you

                  My system off or something 'cause is no exploring up in titlebar instead is
                  dirname of the current dir. so ^!FocusApp Exploring* not gonna work for
                  me unless I find a setting I can change. Oh well.

                  Glad it worked out for you. I see Tyrell already has an update. This is
                  why I said "the part of the picture that I know" :-) see how much more
                  from yourself and group is already out now

                  >; get directory and file name, put it in a variable
                  >^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
                  >; put this info in the clipboard
                  >^!SetClipboard ^%Dirname%
                  >; switch to Explorer if it's running
                  >^!FocusApp Exploring*
                  >; if it's not, then start it
                  >^!IfError Next Else GotoDir
                  >^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%
                  ^!Goto end
                  >:GotoDir
                  ; delay optional on some systems if accidentally dumps
                  ; into NoteTab instead of into explorer
                  ^!Delay 3
                  >;highlight address field
                  >^!Keyboard ALT+D
                  >;paste directory in and go
                  >^!Keyboard CTRL+V ENTER

                  Regards. Alan.
                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2001
                    Tyrell
                    > small update:
                    > ^!Shell explorer.exe /e,/select,"^**"
                    >
                    > [win98se]
                    > this will still open a new window,
                    > but now also select the document in the left files plane.
                    > note that the focus on opening is on the right maps plane,
                    > so the selection is not directly apparent.

                    Nice touch ... I was pretty sure there was a way to get that done ;--)

                    Regards ... Alec
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                      I have a feeling the results of this exercise will depend a lot upon
                      the operating system being used.

                      I like thefrank's clip for its simplicity, but on my system it would
                      not do one of the things Jonathan wanted. That is to not open a new
                      Explorer window if a matching one was already open. So starting with
                      thefrank's clip and Tyrell's addition, I ended up with the following
                      which works all right on my system (Windows ME and NTP 4.86). In an
                      effort to keep Yahoo from breaking up the lines below, I used
                      individual ^!Set commands instead of combining them.

                      This has been an interesting exercise, thanks for bring this up
                      Jonathan..
                      John

                      ; OPERATING SYSTEM THIS WAS MADE ON: WINDOWS ME
                      ; USING NTP VER. 4.86

                      ^!Set %DirName%=^$GetPath(^**)$
                      ; EXTRACT EXPLORER WINDOW NAME
                      ^!Set %temp%=^$StrDeleteRight("^%DirName%";1)$
                      ^!Set %RightSlash%=^$StrPosRight("\";"^%temp%";True)$
                      ^!Set %WindowName%=^$StrDeleteLeft("^%temp%";^%RightSlash%)$

                      ^!FocusApp ^%WindowName%
                      ^!IfError Next Else End
                      ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,"^**"
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                        John, Tyrell,theFrank:

                        >>So starting with
                        > thefrank's clip and Tyrell's addition, I ended up with the following
                        > which works all right on my system (Windows ME and NTP 4.86). <<

                        All versions work well on my system (Win98 ntb 4.86) but don't reuse an
                        already open Explorer window - no big deal. (I thought it might be keyed to
                        the "Explorer=Tools-Folder Options-General-Folder Options-Custom
                        Settings-Open each folder in {same|own} window" option but apparently not)

                        The one shortcoming of all the versions using the "select" command parameter
                        to pre-select the file is that focus is left in the left window.

                        Hitting [F6] when the explorer window comes up, switches to the right side -
                        Can anybody think of a way to get this done from the clip?

                        Regards ... Alec
                        > I have a feeling the results of this exercise will depend a lot upon
                        > the operating system being used.
                        >
                        > I like thefrank's clip for its simplicity, but on my system it would
                        > not do one of the things Jonathan wanted. That is to not open a new
                        > Explorer window if a matching one was already open. So starting with
                        > thefrank's clip and Tyrell's addition, I ended up with the following
                        > which works all right on my system (Windows ME and NTP 4.86). In an
                        > effort to keep Yahoo from breaking up the lines below, I used
                        > individual ^!Set commands instead of combining them.
                        >
                        > This has been an interesting exercise, thanks for bring this up
                        > Jonathan..
                        > John
                        >
                        > ; OPERATING SYSTEM THIS WAS MADE ON: WINDOWS ME
                        > ; USING NTP VER. 4.86
                        >
                        > ^!Set %DirName%=^$GetPath(^**)$
                        > ; EXTRACT EXPLORER WINDOW NAME
                        > ^!Set %temp%=^$StrDeleteRight("^%DirName%";1)$
                        > ^!Set %RightSlash%=^$StrPosRight("\";"^%temp%";True)$
                        > ^!Set %WindowName%=^$StrDeleteLeft("^%temp%";^%RightSlash%)$
                        >
                        > ^!FocusApp ^%WindowName%
                        > ^!IfError Next Else End
                        > ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,"^**"

                      • Hugo
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                          Hi all,

                          Alec wrote:

                          The one shortcoming of all the versions using the "select" command
                          parameter to pre-select the file is that focus is left in the left
                          window.

                          Hitting [F6] when the explorer window comes up, switches to the right
                          side - Can anybody think of a way to get this done from the clip?

                          ---------------------------

                          Working on what already was proposed, I added a %File%-variable,
                          which is typed in the right-hand pane (TAB / SHIFT TAB to switch
                          panes)... I noticed that the timing may require some tweaking. Delay
                          20 works for me, but use it with care. I also noticed that NoteTab
                          tends to hang if the explorer-window cannot be refreshed properly.
                          (Happened twice, but I do not know exactly when - The Clipbar turned
                          empty - CTRL+ALT+DELETE worked after waiting 15 seconds or so).

                          About Keyboard ALT+F4 to exit Explorer: yes, there are some
                          applications that do not exactly what you'd expect. Especially system-
                          based tools such as Explorer, Find etc. tend to ignore these keyboard-
                          strings. I think you'll habve to live with the workarounds...

                          Regards,

                          Hugo

                          ^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
                          ^!Set %File%=^$GetFileName(^**)$
                          ^!SetClipboard=^%DirName%
                          ^!FocusApp Exploring*
                          ^!IfError OPENExplorer ELSE AlreadyOPEN
                          :AlreadyOPEN
                          ^!Keyboard ALT+D
                          ^!Keyboard CTRL+V ENTER
                          ^!Delay 20
                          ^!Keyboard SHIFT+TAB #^%File%#
                          ^!GoTo EXIT
                          :OPENExplorer
                          ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%
                          ^!Delay 20
                          ^!Keyboard TAB #^%File%#
                        • Tyrell_RR@hotmail.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                            Hi All

                            Variable delay:

                            Shell Explorer OR Keyboard ALT+D ... CTRL+V ENTER
                            ; ---
                            ^!Delay 1
                            ^!FocusApp Exploring - ^$StrDeleteRight(^$GetPath(^**)$;1)$
                            ^!IfError SKIP_-2
                            ; ---
                            (swith to files plane after opening new explorer)
                            ^!Keyboard TAB
                            Or (select filename after adress bar paste)
                            ^!Keyboard TAB TAB TAB #^$GetFileName(^**)$#

                            This delay should (?) work on any system, slow or fast
                            Adjust FocusApp to match you windows version

                            ---
                            About Keyboard ALT+F4 to exit Explorer: yes, there are some
                            applications that do not exactly what you'd expect. Especially system-
                            based tools such as Explorer, Find etc. tend to ignore these keyboard-
                            strings. I think you'll habve to live with the workarounds...
                            ---
                            Tnx Hugo

                            ...Tyrell...
                          • Jonathan Woodbridge
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                              Reading the improvements on the clip I put together, I've tried Hugo's clip
                              with Tyrell's variable delay and it works very nicely indeed. Thanks to all
                              who've contributed.

                              Jonathan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                                Hi Jonathon,

                                If you have an older copy of Windows installed like W95 look for
                                Tips.txt in the Windows folder. It has a number of examples to
                                open Windows Explorer from an application using the format of
                                what Alan posted below. ...and yes, I have posted something
                                similar to this post a few times along with others. :-)

                                >Here's the part of the picture that I know.
                                >
                                > > I'm wondering if anyone has done a clip that will open a window
                                > > in Windows Explorer to show the current focused file in Notetab?
                                >
                                >^!Set %Dirname%=^$GetPath(^**)$
                                >^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%

                                http://www.notetab.net

                              • Alec Burgess
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 3, 2001
                                  Hi All:

                                  > ^!FocusApp Exploring - ^$StrDeleteRight(^$GetPath(^**)$;1)$
                                  I hadn't really focused on this (pun intendended;-) but ...

                                  in Folder Options - View [x] Display full path in title bar : I think this
                                  value has to be taken into account when running these clips (right?)

                                  It may explain why some of the examples didn't work for me - I'll have to go
                                  back and check. I suspect a generic solution (for the non-clip programmer
                                  (basically me!) has to either interrogate the registry or test one then the
                                  other.

                                  We'd better watch out - if Bill Gates finds us cooperatively programming
                                  like this he may put a curse on our 'puters.

                                  Regards ... Alec