Exiting from DOS

  • Mark Halsall
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2001
      As I have it you can run a DOS program with ^!Dos and it will exit DOS
      after execution. If you use ^!Shell instead of ^!Dos then it will
      leave the DOS window open.

      It would be really nice if I could control the exit from my PKZip2.50
      for DOS so I can see the result report in DOS before exiting back to
      Windows. Being able to see the results is most comforting when doing
      backups, but the best I can come up with is to use ^!Shell and then
      manually close each created zipfile window.

      Any ideas?

      BTW and off-topic, I'd also like NoteTab for Linux.

      MarkH
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2001
        Hi Mark,

        >As I have it you can run a DOS program with ^!Dos and it will exit DOS
        >after execution. If you use ^!Shell instead of ^!Dos then it will
        >leave the DOS window open.

        >It would be really nice if I could control the exit from my PKZip2.50
        >for DOS so I can see the result report in DOS before exiting back to
        >Windows. Being able to see the results is most comforting when doing
        >backups, but the best I can come up with is to use ^!Shell and then
        >manually close each created zipfile window.

        Use ^!ShellWait or ^!Wait.

        >BTW and off-topic, I'd also like NoteTab for Linux.

        Eric wrote in reference to porting NoteTab to Linux:

        Kylix is definitely the best environment to use for the migration
        of my Delphi applications to Linux. The advantage of Kylix is
        that I don't have to learn a new programming language and a lot
        of my source code is useable without conversion. Unfortunately,
        it is not a matter of a few hours to migrate a complex
        application like NoteTab. Migration is indeed very quick for
        applications that don't make direct calls to the Windows API, or
        use Windows specific controls and functions. That is not the case
        of NoteTab. As a result, migrating NoteTab is a job that would
        require several weeks of full-time work.

        I have no plan to do this in the immediate future as I am behind
        schedule with several important projects. However, I will get my
        teeth into Kylix one day if the popularity of Linux continues to
        grow.

        http://www.notetab.net

      • Piotr Bienkowski
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2001
          On 6 Nov 2001 at 13:24, Jody wrote:

          > I have no plan to do this in the immediate future as I am behind
          > schedule with several important projects. However, I will get my
          > teeth into Kylix one day if the popularity of Linux continues to
          > grow.
          >
          > Happy Clip'n!
          > Jody

          I will be looking forward to it, as I don't think I will ever get my
          teeth well into Emacs ;)

          Regards,

          Piotr Bieńkowski
        • Alan C.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2001
            Hi Mark,

            >after execution. If you use ^!Shell instead of ^!Dos then it will
            >leave the DOS window open.
            >
            >It would be really nice if I could control the exit from my PKZip2.50
            >for DOS so I can see the result report in DOS before exiting back to

            I like use a batch file which when used to launch a dos window it leaves
            the dos window open until I "press any key on the keyboard to close the dos
            window."

            I found the batch file by accident when I was experimenting with running
            Perl scripts via NoteTab

            I had went to a certain portion of the clip repository:

            http://www.notetab.com/scripting.htm

            and I downloaded PerlDe.zip written by Jason Waugh.

            if you choose to try it out, here's what worked for me:

            Upon unzip the file PerlDe.zip, one of the resultant files is named
            launch.bat which lets you close the dos window by "pressing any key." But
            first, that batch file must be used to open the dos window. Here's how I
            do it when I run a Perl script:

            ^!Shell "^$GetLibraryPath$launch.bat" "^$GetPerlExe$ ^$GetShort("^**")$"

            cannot getpkzip.exe, so, the getperlexe portion should be replaced by your
            normal what you use for your pkzip.exe

            the ^$GetShort("^**")$ portion wouldn't be needed since you are not
            launching a script that consists of the current document.

            my best guess would be 2 parameters, each parameter inside quotes:

            ^!Shell "^$GetLibraryPath$launch.bat" "pkzip"

            Alan.
          • Mark Halsall
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2001
              Hi Jody & AlanC,

              ^!ShellWait is a vast improvement, many thanks. I did try ^!Wait
              without success. AlanC's "press any key" may be the ultimate
              solution, but I'm happy to settle for Alt+F4 to close the DOS window.
              Main thing is that you see the window on top, and are forced to close
              the window before clip continues.

              BTW seems that (Help|Search for Help On ...|Index) lists neither
              ^!Shell nor ^!ShellWait - at least not directly.

              MarkH

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2001
                Hi Mark,

                >BTW seems that (Help|Search for Help On ...|Index) lists neither
                >^!Shell nor ^!ShellWait - at least not directly.

                There are some commands/functions that do not appear in the Index
                tab, because there is no more room for it using the Help file
                system Eric uses. At least that is my understanding of it.
                Sometimes you need to use Find to get to it.

                http://www.notetab.net