Re: find and replace again

  • Hugo
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
      Andrew,

      Why do you use a regular expression here? You're only changing plain
      text...

      > ^!Replace "</TITLE>" >> " - Power Tools Software Discussion
      List</TITLE>" GIWRSA

      > this works really well but it begs two questions:-
      > a) can i run a command that says if </title> follows List, don't
      > replace? I wondered about an IF and skip command here.

      You can use conditional statements, there are many ways to construct
      them; here is a very simple example:

      ^!Find "</title> followed by List" [options]
      ^!IfError LABEL1 Else LABEL2
      :LABEL1
      ; if "</title> followed by List" is NOT FOUND...
      ^!Replace "text1" >> "text2" [options]
      :LABEL2
      ; executed in these cases:
      ; 1. "</title> followed by List" is FOUND (LABEL1 is skipped)
      ; 2. after the replacement in LABEL1
      ; ("</title> followed by List" NOT FOUND)

      > b) I think someone once said I could run a clip without opening
      the
      > files each time. I've set screen update currently to off which
      speed
      > things up but I don't really need the files to open to run this
      > script. How does that work?

      As far as I know, there is no way to use SearchDisk in a clip by now.
      You could try fiddling with ^!Keyboard CTRL+D and inserting texts in
      the fields using #...#

      From Help Clip Language - Find / Replace text

      "Use the following commands and functions to search or replace text
      in the active document..."

      Or else you could investigate a function such as StrReplace... You
      would have to find a way to find/identify the textstrings you want to
      have written to file. Use Clip Language Document Management or Clip
      Language - Disk Files for additional information.

      ^$StrReplace("SubStr";"ReplaceStr";"Str";CaseSensitive;WholeWord)$
      Returns a new string with all occurrences of SubStr replaced with
      ReplaceStr according to the settings of the CaseSensitive and
      WholeWord parameters. Tab and line-break tokens are automatically
      converted to their real characters since version 4.6. Example:
      ^$StrReplace("o";"?";"NoteTab Pro";True;False)$ -> N?teTab Pr?

      Hugo