Re: An Absolute Beginners Question

  • james.homme@highmark.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
      I am a little confused about what you are trying to do, but here are two
      possible answers.

      I was trying to say that it seems as though when I leave blank lines
      between one clip and the next clip down in my clipbook, the blank lines
      appear in my document. So far in my level of understanding, the ^& solution
      is the easiest to understand. I am writing a little tutorial on this
      because that is one way I have found that helps me remember things better.
      When I get it done, I might send it to the list for criticism. ... If I get
      brave enough that is.

      Thanks for all your kind help.

      Jim
    • Alan C.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
        Hi Jim,

        Behavior often will be different based upon whether or not your clip's line
        of code be prefaced with a command or not.

        a command starts with ^!

        ^!InsertText

        ^!InsertHtml

        ^!InsertCode

        ^!InsertWizardHtml

        thus one of those insert____ commands makes it ignore blank lines within
        the clip.

        ^!InsertText ^?[]
        <blank line>
        <blank line>

        Regards. Alan.
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
          Hi Jim,

          >I was trying to say that it seems as though when I leave blank lines
          >between one clip and the next clip down in my clipbook, the blank lines
          >appear in my document.

          Yes, if you have a clip that just 'pastes' texts in, blank lines are seen
          as part of the text and get pasted in the document. If I understand you
          right you edit your clips by opening the whole library and want the single
          clips separated by more than one bank line? You can kill a clip with the
          command "^!Goto end".
          H="Clip1"
          Blah blah blah ^?[} blah....
          ^!Goto end

          H="Clip2"
          Blah blah ^?[] blah blah

          The blank lines above will still be part of Clip1 but they won't be pasted
          into the document. If you open a single Clip item (right click over it in
          the clipbook window and choose "Edit Clip") you can see the blank lines
          are still there.

          Another way would be to comment the lines out by putting a semicolon in the
          beginning of each one of them. You need to keep one blank line untouched to
          separate the Clips from each other though.

          Bye,
          Lotta