An Absolute Beginners Question

  • james.homme@highmark.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi,
      I am working through the Notetab help file beginning with Clip Basics. I am
      making a clip book that has one sample of everything I am learning. Here is
      a clip I made:

      h="edit field no prompt"
      ; Make a dialog with an edit field.

      ^?[]
      <newline>
      <newline>

      Note that I am trying to indicate with <newline> that the next clip will
      start a couple of lines below the first one. Now for my question:

      How can I make the clip put the cursor beside the text I type into the edit
      box rather than a couple of lines down after I fill in the field?

      Thanks.

      Jim

      James Homme, Manager, Assistive Technology, Bender Consulting Services,
      Inc., (412) 787-8567.
      jhomme@.... http://www.benderconsult.com
      Competitive Jobs Mean Freedom.
    • Hugo
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
        Jim,

        > How can I make the clip put the cursor beside the text I type into
        the edit
        > box rather than a couple of lines down after I fill in the field?

        I wouldn't rate this as a beginners question...

        It depends on what you want to do. Here are some ways to achieve what
        you want. Maybe you will need a combination of these... I'm sorry for
        the embarrassment of choices, I got carried away with it (NoteTab's
        fault!). I tested the clips on a short file with a number from 1 - 10
        on each line.

        --------------------clip1---------------------
        H="Comments"
        : Option 1
        ; Use commented lines if you want to divide
        ; your clip into different sections
        : Labels have different colors
        ; You can use : to indicate a label...
        ^?[=some text]
        ;
        ;
        ;
        ^!INFO NEXT instruction
        --------------------clip1---------------------

        If you want to insert a blank line into the document you could use a
        preset variable for that: ^%NL%

        --------------------clip2---------------------
        H="NewLine"
        : Option 2
        ; You can use a preset variable (^%NL%) in clips to have the clip
        enter a New Line
        ^?[=some text]^%NL%^%NL%
        ;
        ;
        ;
        ^!INFO NEXT instruction
        --------------------clip2---------------------

        Use ^& to go back to the insertion point when selecting the clip. You
        can place it anywhere...

        --------------------clip3---------------------
        H="Selection"
        : Option 3
        ; If you use ^& in your code, all text that is selected will be used
        in the output.
        ; If however, you have nothing selected ^& will tell the clip to go
        to that position
        ; Remember that the empty lines will be inserted in this case...
        ^?[=some text]^&

        ^!INFO NEXT instruction
        --------------------clip3---------------------

        Use keyboard strokes in your clip...

        --------------------clip4---------------------
        H="Keyboard"
        : Option 4
        ; Position the cursor by using ^!Keyboard
        ^?[=some text]

        ^!INFO NEXT instruction
        ^!Keyboard UP LEFT
        --------------------clip4---------------------

        Use ^!Jump in your clip...

        --------------------clip5---------------------
        H="Jump"
        : Option 5
        ; Position the cursor by using ^!Jump
        ^?[=some text]

        ^!INFO NEXT instruction
        ^!Jump -2
        --------------------clip5---------------------

        Use a variable in your clip...

        --------------------clip6---------------------
        H="GetRowCol"
        : Option 6
        ; Define a variable that holds the position of your cursor
        ^?[=some text]
        ^!Set %Location%=^$GetCol$:^$GetRow$

        ^!INFO NEXT instruction
        ^!SetCursor ^%Location%
        --------------------clip6---------------------

        Hope this helps,

        Hugo

        BTW In some cases I noticed that the focus did not return to the
        active document. Never had that earlier... You can use SHIFT+F4 to
        set the focus back to the active document.

        (Jody/Eric: anything wrong?)
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
          Hi James,

          The way I understand your question you need to remove all blank
          lines after your last text entry in the Clip itself, even the
          ghost line after the text. If you want to move your cursor to
          various places you can use a few commands. Kelp will tell you how
          to use the, or give examples.

          ^!MoveCursor
          ^!SetCursor
          ^!Keyboard
          ^!Jump if you want BOL.

          http://www.notetab.net

        • james.homme@highmark.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
            I am a little confused about what you are trying to do, but here are two
            possible answers.

            I was trying to say that it seems as though when I leave blank lines
            between one clip and the next clip down in my clipbook, the blank lines
            appear in my document. So far in my level of understanding, the ^& solution
            is the easiest to understand. I am writing a little tutorial on this
            because that is one way I have found that helps me remember things better.
            When I get it done, I might send it to the list for criticism. ... If I get
            brave enough that is.

            Thanks for all your kind help.

            Jim
          • Alan C.
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
              Hi Jim,

              Behavior often will be different based upon whether or not your clip's line
              of code be prefaced with a command or not.

              a command starts with ^!

              ^!InsertText

              ^!InsertHtml

              ^!InsertCode

              ^!InsertWizardHtml

              thus one of those insert____ commands makes it ignore blank lines within
              the clip.

              ^!InsertText ^?[]
              <blank line>
              <blank line>

              Regards. Alan.
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
                Hi Jim,

                >I was trying to say that it seems as though when I leave blank lines
                >between one clip and the next clip down in my clipbook, the blank lines
                >appear in my document.

                Yes, if you have a clip that just 'pastes' texts in, blank lines are seen
                as part of the text and get pasted in the document. If I understand you
                right you edit your clips by opening the whole library and want the single
                clips separated by more than one bank line? You can kill a clip with the
                command "^!Goto end".
                H="Clip1"
                Blah blah blah ^?[} blah....
                ^!Goto end

                H="Clip2"
                Blah blah ^?[] blah blah

                The blank lines above will still be part of Clip1 but they won't be pasted
                into the document. If you open a single Clip item (right click over it in
                the clipbook window and choose "Edit Clip") you can see the blank lines
                are still there.

                Another way would be to comment the lines out by putting a semicolon in the
                beginning of each one of them. You need to keep one blank line untouched to
                separate the Clips from each other though.

                Bye,
                Lotta