Using NoteTab standard as a Word Processor

  • Kimpton, Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2001
      I've purchased NoteTab Standard v4.86 for use with my HP OmniBook 600C (it's
      an old 486DX2 Notepad PC) under Windows 95. I would be interested in knowing
      how I can optimise NoteTab to operate purely as a simple wordprocessor
      (Microsoft Word was too slow, so I bought NoteTab - needed Standard for the
      Spell-Checker). Any suggestions?

      Regards
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2001
        Steve,

        At 02:57 PM 10/30/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >I've purchased NoteTab Standard v4.86 for use with my HP OmniBook 600C (it's
        >an old 486DX2 Notepad PC) under Windows 95. I would be interested in knowing
        >how I can optimise NoteTab to operate purely as a simple wordprocessor
        >(Microsoft Word was too slow, so I bought NoteTab - needed Standard for the
        >Spell-Checker). Any suggestions?

        You might try the following:

        1. Use F4 to toggle off the ClipBook Pane

        2. Use F6 to toggle off the Quick List Pane

        3. Rename the NoteTab "Libraries" Directory in your NoteTab Directory to
        LibrariesOLD

        4. Go to the View menu and toggle the ClipBar and ToolBar ON/OFF as you prefer

        That is about as optimized as you can get.

        Regards,

        Jim

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2001
          On 30 Oct 2001, at 14:57, Kimpton, Steve wrote:

          > I would be interested in knowing
          > how I can optimise NoteTab to operate purely as a simple wordprocessor
          > (Microsoft Word was too slow, so I bought NoteTab - needed Standard for the
          > Spell-Checker). Any suggestions?
          I use NTP for such purposes on my desktop, for the same reason.
          You'll probably start making your own clips, clipbars (more or less
          macros and button-bars for calling them quickly) and templates to
          suit your own work habits. If you tell us what you usually do with a
          WP, we can probably give you advice and clips.

          Some things that you may want are a template for letters including
          your return address, date, complimentary close, signature line,
          etc., a clipbar button for storing things quickly in a default location
          or a last-used location (good especially for storing drafts), a
          permanent scratch-sheet and a button for calling it, a button for
          quickly dumping the active file to the Recycle Bin.

          A techie once advised me to store all of my passwords as a simple
          .txt file, since in case of disaster I might have to work with it from
          DOS, but some people would consider this a security problem. If
          you have one, you might want a button to call that too.

          You'll find some links to introductions to NoteTab, etc., at
          http://www.notetab.com/links.htm , but I've never tried any of them.

          Good luck.
          David.
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2001
            Hi Steve,

            >I've purchased NoteTab Standard v4.86 for use with my HP OmniBook
            >600C (it's an old 486DX2 Notepad PC) under Windows 95. I would be
            >interested in knowing how I can optimise NoteTab to operate
            >purely as a simple wordprocessor (Microsoft Word was too slow, so
            >I bought NoteTab - needed Standard for the Spell-Checker).

            You cannot use Word features like formatting text: italics, bold,
            etc. if that is what you are referring to. You might try Wordpad
            that is still named write.exe in your Windows folder if you are
            wanting those features.

            http://www.notetab.net