Re: [Clip] Replacing characters in a variable

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2001
      Ray Shapp wrote:

      > Harvey and Alan:
      >
      > When I ask, "What does a "true" value for "wholeword" accomplish in string
      > functions?", it is because I don't follow the example Alan gave. Also, I'm
      > not asking about the various synonyms for Boolean "True" or "False".
      >
      > Please make up a clearer example of the use of the "strreplace" function
      > which shows how the result differs when the value of "wholeword" is "1"
      > versus "0".
      >
      > Thanks for your help,
      >
      > Ray Shapp
      > Watchung, NJ

      Hi Ray,

      I can't answer the query, I don't know what is criteria used, in
      NoteTab, for determining between wholewords and strings within
      words. It surely is more complex than it sounds.

      Most of the searching I do is not for discrete words, but parts
      of other strings.

      I generally make it a practice to always make that setting False,
      0, no, regardless of what I'm searching for.

      hrs
    • Alan C.
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2001
        Hi Ray,

        (apologies for no greeting last time, accidental)

        >Please make up a clearer example of the use of the "strreplace" function
        >which shows how the result differs when the value of "wholeword" is "1"
        >versus "0".

        couple demo clips, would that help. Each of the two clips has identical
        (same) string which contains a total of six words. In particular, theater
        is just one of those six words. Also, notice that "the" is replaced with
        "cre". And, most importantly of all, is the difference in outcome between
        the two clips: Each clip has the same identical string, but notice in the
        output what either happens or does not happen to the word "theater".

        To answer your question above: as in 1st clip, when value of wholeword is 1
        it is then that, only certain words, only those words in the string that
        stand independently are modified.

        And, as in 2nd clip, when the value of wholeword is 0 it is then that both
        independently standing words AND ALSO any occurrences from within any
        larger, longer words that are also modified.

        So, the difference has to do with whether or not any occurrence that comes
        from within a larger/longer word gets modified or not.

        H="streplc_wh_word"
        ; Last edited:Wednesday, 03 October 2001
        ^!Set %string%=the theater is near the movies
        ^!SetWizardTitle Before strreplace task
        ^!Info ^%string%
        ^!SetWizardTitle After strreplace task
        ; ^!Info ^$StrReplace("the";"cre";"^%string%";False;True)$
        ^!Info ^$StrReplace("the";"cre";"^%string%";False;1)$

        H="streplc_not_wh_word"
        ; Last edited:Wednesday, 03 October 2001
        ^!Set %string%=the theater is near the movies
        ^!SetWizardTitle Before strreplace task
        ^!Info ^%string%
        ^!SetWizardTitle After strreplace task
        ; ^!Info ^$StrReplace("the";"cre";"^%string%";False;False)$
        ^!Info ^$StrReplace("the";"cre";"^%string%";False;0)$
        ; -----<end of clips<<

        Regards. Alan.
      • David McIntosh
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001
          hI
          I think you just half to set it again eg.
          set %test% ThX hXavXns dXclarX
          the variable will change because you reset it.
          THANKYOU DAVE

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 6, 2001
            Hi Elizabeth,

            >^!Set %test%="The heavens declare"
            >^!Set %test%=^$StrReplace("e";"X";"^%test%";False;false)$

            >Come to think of it, I have question. Is it possible to do
            >shorthand for the case sensitive and whole word (T or F/1 or
            >0/etc)?

            1, as a matter of fact, there is. ;)

            Yes|No, True|False, 1|0 (True|False respectively) I find the one
            and zero the easiest. ;)

            http://www.notetab.net