Re: [Clip] Remove attachment from .EML file (how to?)

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
      Hi Alec,

      Hopefully, Jody won't consider my reply too off topic <g>...

      >I use Outlook Express. I can use "Save As" to extract an e-mail from a DBX
      >file as an EML file. (I also found a program DBXtract (at
      >http://chattanooga.net/~scochran/DBXtract.htm ) which can do this job on an
      >entire range of e-mails)
      >
      >There are two additional things I want to do - both concerning attachments
      >stored in the e-mail.
      >(1) Strip attachments from the .EML file and then resave it in the DBX for
      >"permanent" archiving. I verified I can do this with Notetab on a one by one
      >basis and then drag-and-drop or just click-OPEN to put it back in the DBX.
      >I'm "fairly" sure I can write a clip to do this. PURPOSE is to reduce
      >storage required for e-mails when I don't need the attachments but do want
      >the contents of the e-mail itself

      If the purpose of all this is to archive your e-mails, you might want to
      try out Mailbag Assistant. This program will not remove attachments from
      messages, but it can create compressed archives that are significantly
      smaller than the native Outlook Express messages files. You can easily
      search and display messages in these compressed archives with Mailbag
      Assistant without uncompressing them. Furthermore, you can store them
      anywhere you like for future access -- even on a floppy disk, if they fit.

      >(2) I get bunches and bunches of attachments with graphic attachments (jokes
      >etc.) that I'd like to easily cause to have saved external to the e-mail in
      >a separate folder. I can do this on a one by one basis by drag-and-drop to
      >the desktop or another folder or by rightClick-"Save As".
      >
      >Does anyone know of a program that could operate on a folder full of .EML's
      >and extract contained attachments to a designated folder?

      Again, this is something you can do with Mailbag Assistant.

      >Alternatively, could a clip be written that would cause the attachment to be
      >created as a free-standing file.

      You could write such a Clip, but it would be very difficult as MIME headers
      can be quite complex.

      Here's the homepage for Mailbag Assistant:
      http://www.fookes.com/mailbag/

      Hope you find it useful.

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
        Hi Eric,

        >Hopefully, Jody won't consider my reply too off topic <g>...

        Actually, it is. ;) So the truth is known though, I have asked
        Eric in the paste to ask me if he wants to post off topic stuff
        like announcements, etc. He is faithful to do it within the
        boundaries that I set for him. That is just to let you all know,
        don't feel like I am singling you out if I have to say take it
        elsewhere. ;)

        >> I use Outlook Express. I can use "Save As" to extract an e-mail
        >> from a DBX file as an EML file.

        > If the purpose of all this is to archive your e-mails, you might
        > want to try out Mailbag Assistant.

        But, then, I let a lot of you get away with stuff for awhile or
        write you in private eMail. In case you missed it. <bg>

        Here's the homepage for Mailbag Assistant:
        http://www.fookes.com/mailbag

        I have a ton of list mail to go through; been busy with other
        stuff, so if you have not yet, please bring the topic to the
        MailBag list if need be unless you are finding out how you can do
        something with NoteTab and Clips. See my sigline.

        Happy Bag'n!
        Jody

        mailto:MailBag-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com