Backing up files

  • Mark Halsall
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2001
      It suddenly occurs to me that Notetab could be a great tool to backup
      important files.

      1) I've made a clip to copy all my important files into a backup
      directory, but how do I zip them up? I have PKZip.

      2) How do you backup a clip? Yes, I'm serious.

      3) Is there a clip to do the same as Windows Briefcase?

      MarkH
    • Alan C.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2001
        Hi Mark,

        >1) I've made a clip to copy all my important files into a backup
        >directory, but how do I zip them up? I have PKZip.

        I have some clips to run version 250 Pkzip for DOS. But they are TOTALLY
        different than what is needed for Pkzip for Windows. You would write a
        clip that launches your pkzip executable and also to include the
        appropriate command line switch(s) look under topic: command line in help
        of your software.

        >2) How do you backup a clip? Yes, I'm serious.

        easy to back up a file, a .clb which includes the clip you want backup
        of. more difficult to snag just one clip, but it could be done.

        >3) Is there a clip to do the same as Windows Briefcase?

        synchronizer, right? probably better off with a file synchronizer
        software. synchronizer was discussed recently on ntb off-topic list.

        Alan.
      • David McIntosh
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2001
          Hi markh
          I find it just as easy to copy the whole notetab directory to another
          drive , a another advantage is you have got a second working version ,
          in case of.
          THANKYOU DAVE

          Mark Halsall wrote:

          > It suddenly occurs to me that Notetab could be a great tool to backup
          > important files.
          >
          > 1) I've made a clip to copy all my important files into a backup
          > directory, but how do I zip them up? I have PKZip.
          >
          > 2) How do you backup a clip? Yes, I'm serious.
          >
          > 3) Is there a clip to do the same as Windows Briefcase?
          >
          > MarkH

        • Mark Halsall
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2001
            Thanks Alan & Dave,

            > >2) How do you backup a clip? Yes, I'm serious.

            > easy to back up a file, a .clb which includes the clip you want
            backup of. more difficult to snag just one clip, but it could be
            done.

            My problem here is including the header (H=whatever). The best I can
            think of is to open the .clb and copy and paste the clip - which seems
            a bit primitive.

            > >3) Is there a clip to do the same as Windows Briefcase?

            > synchronizer, right? probably better off with a file synchronizer
            software. synchronizer was discussed recently on ntb off-topic list.

            I haven't looked into this, but I'd have thought it simple to
            overwrite only if both the file dates and sizes are different. I
            guess there's more to it.

            Many thanks,
            MarkH
          • Alan C.
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2001
              Hi Mark,

              1. (see below too) with clip editor open, can right click in editor window
              choose copy all and then paste and save the one clip somewhere or turn on
              pasteboard doc and capture there. or go to Ntab clip repository and get
              Larry's Clipstor clip, a clipboard/pasteboard capture/auto save (I think) clip.

              or

              2. I just remembered that I had formerly written the following. After
              you've "inserted" the outline then the clip: 1. makes, 2. names, and 3.
              saves a text file of each of the outline's topics. (10 topics at a time
              then can continue where had left off). It could be modified to do what U
              want. .otl and .clb similar, but Unlike an outline, a .clb (clip
              library) can just be opened, able to do so without the need for the
              insertion procedure.

              H="OTL ea topic to text"
              ; 1st, need to open the outline as a text file: create a
              ; new file in NTab then click Document | Insert File... and
              ; browse to the outline you want to open.
              ; then place cursor above 1st "H=" then launch this clip
              ; This clip then makes ea OTL topic into an
              ; individual text file
              ^!ClearVariables
              ; ^!Set %begin%=^$GetRow$
              ^!Set %cnt%=0
              :loop
              ^!Find "^pH=" SIT
              ^!IfError fwd
              ^!Delay 2
              ^!Set %row%=^$GetRow$
              ^!Append %rowlist%=^%row%:1^%NL%
              ^!Jump SELECT_END
              ^!Select EOL
              ^!Set %hdr%=^$GetSelection$
              ^!Set %hdr%=^$StrReplace(\;_;^%hdr%;False;False)$
              ^!Set %hdr%=^$StrReplace(/;_;^%hdr%;False;False)$
              ^!Set %hdr%=^$StrReplace(:;_;^%hdr%;False;False)$
              ^!Append %namList%=^%hdr%;
              ^!IfSame "^%cnt%" "10" premak
              ^!Inc %cnt%
              ^!Goto loop
              :fwd
              ; ^!If ^%cnt% < 9 lastpar
              ^!If ^%cnt% =< 9 lastpar

              :premak
              ^!SetArray %namList%=^%namList%
              ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
              ^!SetArray %RowAray%=^%rowlist%
              ^!Set %sorcidx%=^$GetDocIndex$
              ; ^!SetCursor ^%begin%:1
              ^!Set %index%=1; %fIdx%=0
              :makfil
              ^!SetCursor ^%RowAray^%index%%
              ^!Inc %index%
              ^!SelectTo ^%RowAray^%index%%
              ^!Set %ea_doc%=^$GetSelection$
              ^!Inc %fIdx%
              ^!TextToFile "^$GetDocumentPath$~tt^%namList^%fIdx%%.txt" ^%ea_doc%
              ^!IfError skip
              ^!Goto skip
              ^!TextToFile "^$GetDocumentPath$~t^%fIdx%~beep~.txt" ^%ea_doc%
              ; ^!Toolbar "New Document"
              ; ^!InsertText ^%ea_doc%
              ; ^!SetDocIndex ^%sorcidx%
              ^!If ^%index% >= ^%RowAray0% end
              ^!Goto makfil
              :lastpar
              ^!Jump TEXT_END
              ^!Set %row%=^$GetRow$; %col%=^$GetCol$
              ^!Append %rowlist%=^%row%:^%col%
              ^!Goto premak
              ;--<end of clip<<

              >My problem here is including the header (H=whatever).

              Ya, gotcha. Can opt to show headers but it doesn't include either the H=
              or the quotes.

              > The best I can
              >think of is to open the .clb and copy and paste the clip - which seems
              >a bit primitive.

              Or, briefly open the .clb long enuff to use find then select your desired
              area then getselection and use textofile then have the clip close the .clb

              > > synchronizer, right? probably better off with a file synchronizer
              >software. synchronizer was discussed recently on ntb off-topic list.
              >
              >I haven't looked into this, but I'd have thought it simple to
              >overwrite only if both the file dates and sizes are different. I
              >guess there's more to it.

              the more to it perhaps mostly (or at least partially) involves how much
              clip code needed to do all that much comparing, would also need many
              control structures and sub routines. Would probably need to get a bit
              intense with Ntab clip code to do the job (I didn't say it couldn't be
              done). Considering many freeware as well as relatively inexpensive file
              synchronizer/backup utilities available . . . But, NoteTab lets you do it
              your way, and lets me do it my way.

              Your zip clip ques, we can provide examples of command line but do need to
              know whether (your Pkzip) is a DOS software or a windows software (or a
              command line software for NT or Win 2K) -> I found that my Pkzip 250 for
              DOS *will not* work on Win NT or Win 2K) but works great on Win 9x

              Alan.
            • Alan C.
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2001
                Hi Mark,

                Everyone too: This clip makes ready at your finger tips the entire contents
                of one clip. No hassle of manually opening .clb etc.

                >My problem here is including the header (H=whatever). The best I can

                Also note that ^!SetClipboard is commented out so that it cannot be used
                because during my testing, tokens ^** got interpreted/evaluated.

                Be sure to read comments near top of clip.

                H="copy/save a single clip"
                ; Last edited:Tuesday, 02 October 2001
                ; AC ---------
                ; gets entire header and clip code content of one
                ; clip, and copies it into a new doc
                ; -----------
                ; this clip MUST BE launched from a clipbar button
                ; Also
                ; BEFORE you launch this clip you must
                ; right click a clip then choose
                ; headers to clipboard
                ; then click this clip's clipbar button
                ; then choose the desired clip
                ^!SetListDelimiter ^p
                ^!SetArray %clips%=^$GetClipboard$
                ; Ensure the NoteTab INI file is being used
                ^!SetIniFile
                ; Save the NoteTab settings
                ^!ProgIniSave
                ^!Set %clb%=^$GetValue("Clipbook:DefaultLibrary")$
                ^!Set %clips%=^$StrReplace("^%NL%";"|";"^%clips%";True;False)$
                ^!Set %clip%=^?{(H=28) choose 1==^%clips%}
                ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                ^!Open ^$GetLibraryPath$^%clb%.clb
                ^!Find "H="^%clip%" IWST
                ^!Jump LINE_END
                ^!Set %row1%=^$GetRow$:1
                ^!Find "^pH=" IST
                ^!Jump SELECT_START
                ^!Set %row2%=^$GetRow$:1
                ^!SetCursor ^%row1%
                ^!SelectTo ^%row2%
                ; ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
                ^!SetCode %output%=^$GetSelection$
                ; ^!SetClipboard ^%output%
                ^!Close
                ^!Toolbar "New Document"
                ^!InsertCode ^%output%
                ; -----<end of clip<<

                Regards. Alan.
              • Mark Halsall
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2001
                  Hi Hrs,

                  This does do something and almost works, but it always jumps back into
                  Windows and presents the Save As box (the correct file is in fact
                  zipped but not saved). This happens either if I do it manually or
                  with a clip such as:

                  ^!Dos C:\pkzipw\pkzipw "C:\temp\test.zip" "C:\temp\test.txt"

                  Mark

                  > pkzipw <archive_name.zip> <list of files to compress, separated with
                  spaces>

                  > An example,
                  > pkzipw test.zip file1.doc file2.doc
                • Mark Halsall
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 6, 2001
                    Hi hrs,

                    Thanks. I have a clumsy workaround - but it works:

                    ^!Shell C:\pkzipw\pkzipw.exe C:\temp\test.zip C:\temp\test1.txt
                    C:\temp\test2.txt
                    ^!Delay 15
                    ;enter into Save As dialog box
                    ^!Keyboard #C:\temp\testx.zip# ENTER

                    Funny thing is that C:\temp\test.zip is TOTALLY ignored.
                    Also
                    C:\temp\test1.txt is ignored if wrapped in double quotes
                    and
                    C:\temp\test2.txt is ignored if wrapped in double quotes.

                    Very odd.

                    I see Jody's Noteback clip uses
                    ^!F:\Programs\WinZip\WinZip32.exe -min -a -en
                    ^%ZipPath%^$StrLower("^$GetName(^##)$")$-otl.zip ^##

                    So perhaps it would be simplest for me to get WinZip instead of PKZip.

                    Regards,
                    Mark