Re: Yahoo Digest to Outline

  • Amitava
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 29, 2001
      Hi Mark, Hugo, Christine, Jody

      I've been following this thread right from the beginning as I had already
      written some clips for this and had been using them. In fact I had sent the
      whole lot in a post to this group. I realize now that it had been so
      longwinded that few must have had the patience to examine them.

      Mark had sent me the first clip that Jody had written. Unfortunately, other
      commitments took up almost all of my time and I could neither test it
      properly, nor send any response to Mark. Sorry about that Mark!

      I have been trying out all the clips that are being sent to this group, and
      comparing the results with my efforts, lifting bits off them which had never
      occurred to me, and adding them to my clips. The results have improved no
      end.

      Just a few points FWIW:
      1. I tend to go the "one main clip and a number of sub-clips" route as the
      task of trying to decipher and debug one long clip tends to overheat my
      brain! So instead of a clip I have a library, and will send it to anyone who
      is interested.
      2. I save all the emailed digests as txt files and work from them. Help to
      work from inside NTB, and call them up from the Quicklist, and one doesn't
      need to keep the email client open.
      3. I tend to keep all the resulting outlines in sub folders under the
      Outlines Folder like so "C:\Program files\NoteTab Pro\Outlines\Clip Digests"
      and so on.
      4. I keep the "Re:" part intact in the outline headings. That way it seems
      to be easier to follow the discussion threads.
      5. Like Mark I keep the topics in the "Overview section, and format them as
      hyperlinks. The messages can be accessed from either this section or from
      the outline pane. A belt and braces approach, but more convenient than any
      one method IMHO.
      6. Example clips: Hugo's approach changes the "H="s to "X="s at the start of
      the process and converts them back at the end, in effect leaving them
      unchanged. I notice that when the outline is opened, these headers are
      treated as outline topics. Somewhat difficult to make out which clip
      pertains to which message. Would you guys consider the following:
      ------------------------------------
      ;Comment Example Clip Headers
      ^!Replace ^(H=) ;H= ACISWR
      ------------------------------------
      Commenting the headers, if any, at the beginning of the process leaves them
      connected to their respective messages, and it is not too troublesome when
      one is copying the example into a library.

      I would be interested in your comments.

      Regards,
      Amitava
      _________________________
      Amitava Das Gupta
      amitav@...
      amitava_dg@...
    • Mark Halsall
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 24, 2001
        Below find my first effort at a proper clip - based on Jody's
        prototype (thanks Jody)

        Does anyone want to improve on this? I think I've gone as far as I
        can.

        Regards,
        Mark

        --- START CLIP ---

        H="Yahoo Digest to OTL"
        ; Based on Jody's prototype. Appending of digests removed.
        ; Jump between hyperlinks with minimal keystrokes
        ; Can sort messages by subject
        ; Cut and paste digest into a new document BEFORE RUNNING CLIP.

        ^!SetDebug OFF
        ^!SetHintInfo Working...
        ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
        ;in case of very long subjects
        ^!SetWordWrap OFF
        ;don't mess up the wrong document
        ^!If ^$StrCopy(^$GetDocName$;1;6)$<>NoName EXIT

        ^!If ^$IsOpen(^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl)$=1 NEXT ELSE SKIP
        ^!Close ^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl DISCARD
        ^!DeleteFile ^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl

        ^!Replace "[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]" >>
        "" WAS
        ^!Replace "[This message contained attachments]" >> "" WAS
        ^!Replace "Your use of Yahoo.*$" >> "" WARS
        ^!Replace "[" >> "{" WAS
        ^!Replace "]" >> "}" WAS
        ^!Replace "H=" >> "^pHDUMMY=" WAS
        ^!Replace "__+\n__+" >> "END OF MESSAGE" WARS
        ^!Jump 1
        ;Hyphen+space to get Topic List to always sort to top
        ^!Replace "Topics in this digest:^%NL%" >> "H="- TOPIC LIST -"" S
        ^!Jump Line_Start
        ^!SelectTo 1:1
        ^!InsertText = V4 Outline MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30^%NL%^%NL%

        ;Make hyperlinks for first Header topic
        ^!Replace "\s\s\s\s\s\d+\.\s" >> "[" WARS
        ^!Replace "\n\s\s\s\s\s\s\s\s\s\s\sFrom:" >> "]" WARS
        ^!Jump 1

        ;Create remaining OTL Headers
        :Loop1
        ^!Find "^Message:\s\d+" SR
        ^!IfError Finish
        ^!DeleteLine
        ^!InsertText [- TOPIC LIST -]
        ^!Find "Subject: " S
        ^!Jump Select_End
        ^!Select EOL
        ^!Set %Subject%=^$GetSelection$
        ^!Jump -2
        ^!InsertText ^pH="^%Subject%"^p
        ^!Jump +2
        ^!Goto Loop1

        :Finish
        ^!Select ALL
        ^!Delay 3
        ^!Keyboard ALT+M A L
        ^!Replace "END OF MESSAGE" >> "" SH
        ^!Replace "^p^p^p" >> "^p^p" WAS
        ^!IfError Next else Skip_-1
        ^!Replace "^pHDUMMY=" >> "H=" WAS
        ^!Save AS ^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl
        ^!Close ^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl
        ^!Open "^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl"
        ;remove email addresses from Topic List Header
        ^!Select ALL
        ^!Replace "\s<[A-Z_.-0-9]+@[A-Z_.-0-9]+>$" >> "" HARIS
        ^!Jump 1

        --- END CLIP ---
      • Christine F. Muehling
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 24, 2001
          Oh, My!
          I had forgotten all about this. I promised Pat
          Hanneman's clip that I've been using for a year or
          two. I'm sorry! I was in NYC during the week of the
          attacks, when I made that promise and I'm afraid it
          just escaped me.

          I'll try to send it to Jody. I'm sure I have her
          email address somewhere.

          I DO apologize!
          Christine

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 24, 2001
            Hi Christine and Mark,

            (There's not much said in this, so you wouldn't be missing much
            if the reader deletes it.)

            >Oh, My!

            :-)

            >I had forgotten all about this. I promised Pat Hanneman's clip
            >that I've been using for a year or two. I'm sorry! I was in NYC
            >during the week of the attacks, when I made that promise and I'm
            >afraid it just escaped me.

            PTL, you got out of NYC safely!

            >I'll try to send it to Jody. I'm sure I have her email address
            >somewhere.

            Yes, I suppose you do have my/Jody's (his) address somewhere. <bg>

            >I DO apologize!

            No problem - many people suspect me being a female. <vbg>

            No apologize needed at all - we all know how busy we can get from
            time to time. Please do send it to the Clips list and/or sending
            it private eMail (which I prefer and zipped up ad well. TIA I
            built a quickie that puts all the messages into a Heading/Topic.
            An index is made in the first topic. It still needs options,
            etc. done to it, but... in time. ;)

            >> Below find my first effort at a proper clip - based on Jody's
            >> prototype (thanks Jody)
            >>
            >> Does anyone want to improve on this? I think I've gone as far
            >> as I can.

            I'm glad Mark took it a bit further. I'm just super busy trying
            to make ends meet presently. I normally do not like to continue
            on with a Library/Clip that somebody else did. It is normally
            easier for me to start from scratch, or build on my own Clip than
            it is to build on somebody else's foundation, due to the time it
            takes to study their Clip, etc. Although, since Pat Hanneman's
            and Mark Halsall's Clips were based on mine I might see if I can
            gather some tips from them. I love to see the treads coming in;
            its like the "good 'ol days" when RS, Claes, myself and a few
            others starting with a Clip and each of us would continue till we
            had a very nicely refined Clip.;)

            >> H="Yahoo Digest to OTL"

            Mark, I see you used one or two of the things that I mentioned
            that needed to be done - good job! Perhaps someday I will finish
            mine (now that you sent me a full blown digest - thanks! I'll
            probably add it to my NoteBoards, eMail2Otl, and Outline
            Libraries once completed to my liking. I have many fires to put
            out and then some on the back burner as well.

            http://www.notetab.net

            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
          • Mark Halsall
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 25, 2001
              Hi Jody & Christine,

              Shortly after posting the clip yesterday I discovered that the
              hyperlinks do not work properly if there are identical subjects in the
              same digest (only links to first match).

              The following "slipstream" :) modification fixes this and shows the
              message numbers (after the subject - so the Outline Headers can be
              sorted on message subject). If the headings are sorted it still sorts
              the message number alphanumerically though.

[...]

              ^!Replace "\s\s\s\s\s{\d+}\.\s{.*}" >> "[\2\s(\1)" WARS
              ^!Replace "\n\s\s\s\s\s\s\s\s\s\s\sFrom:" >> "]" WARS
              ^!Jump 1

              ;Create remaining OTL Headers
              :Loop1
              ^!Find "^Message: " SR
              ^!IfError Finish
              ^!Jump SELECT_END
              ^!Select EOL
              ^!Set %Number%=^$GetSelection$
              ^!DeleteLine
              ^!InsertText [- TOPIC LIST -]
              ^!Find "Subject: " S
              ^!Jump SELECT_END
              ^!InsertText [
              ^!Select EOL
              ^!Set %Subject%=^$GetSelection$
              ^!Jump LINE_END
              ^!InsertText "][^%Number%]"
              ^!Jump -2
              ^!InsertText ^pH="^%Subject% (^%Number)"^p

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 26, 2001
                Hi Mark,

                >Shortly after posting the clip yesterday I discovered that the
                >hyperlinks do not work properly if there are identical subjects
                >in the same digest (only links to first match).

                Yes, that is why I mentioned that to you a couple of weeks ago
                when you gave me suggestions as to what features to add. I said
                it would be tricky to do that.

                >H="Yahoo Digest to OTL"

                I'll have to study your Clip later and see what I can steal from
                it. ;) I sure wish Larry Thomas was here with us and RS before he
                got too busy, and Ray Fitzgerald, Eb, Claes, and some others so
                that we could compete like in the old days seeing who could
                refine and make better the Clips that were posted. ;)

                http://www.notetab.net

              • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 27, 2001
                  Hello Mark & Jody,

                  There were some slight problems with the clip, on my system it had
                  problems opening the OTL correctly. And I didn't want to check for
                  NoName - maybe you should use quotes there. The clip I've come up
                  with just extracts information from the active document and pastes
                  this into a new OUTLINE-file. After completion the original document
                  is closed, without saving the changes... The OTL-file is opened
                  instead.

                  I did leave out the [-TOPICS-]-links (you can navigate by clicking
                  the headers) and didn't do as much filtering as Mark. My selection is
                  just based on the whole message-body itself. The output is generated
                  in a sorted header list, from which all "RE:" info is removed. The
                  list shows the topics in alphabetical/chronological order. All
                  messages have an ID.

                  If you want another header (Date/Author) you can change the first
                  Find-clause in the :LOOP...

                  H=YahooList
                  ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                  ^!Jump Doc_START
                  ^!Replace "{Subject:}\s*{Re}:{.*}" >> "\1\3" WRAIS
                  ^!Replace "H=" >> "X=" AS
                  ^!Find "\d* messages" SR
                  ^!MkDir "^$GetDocumentPath$Groups"
                  ^!Set %ID%=1
                  ^!Set %File%=^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\^$GetDate("mmddhhmm")$.otl
                  ^!Delay 1
                  ^!TextToFile "^%File%" = V5 Outline MultiLine Sorting TabWidth=30^%NL%
                  ^%NL%H=---^$GetSelection$---^%NL%^%NL%
                  :LOOP
                  ^!If ^%ID%<10 ^!Set %ID%=0^%ID%
                  ^!Find "^Subject:.*\n.*$" RS
                  ^!IfError END
                  ^!Set %Topic%=^$StrTrim(^$StrDeleteLeft(^$GetSelection$;9)$)$ (^%ID%)
                  ^!AppendToFile "^%File%" H="^%Topic%"^%NL%
                  ^!Find " Date:" BS
                  ^!Jump Select_START
                  ^!Set %StartTopic%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
                  ^!Find "_+\n_+\n" R
                  ^!SelectTo ^%StartTopic%
                  ^!AppendToFile "^%File%" ^%NL%^$GetSelection$^%NL%^%NL%
                  ^!Inc %ID%
                  ^!Jump Select_END
                  ^!GoTo LOOP
                  :END
                  ^!Close Discard
                  ^!Open "^%File%"
                  ^!Replace "X=" >> "H=" AS
                  ^!Save
                  ^!Keyboard CTRL+ALT+Home
                  ; For those of you that want the HTML version remove the following
                  line
                  ^!GoTo EXIT
                  :EXTRA
                  ^!Continue Save and open the outline as HTML?
                  ^!ToolBar Document to HTML
                  ^!Replace "{<TITLE>}.*" >> "\1Digest</TITLE>" R
                  ^!Save AS "^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\^$GetName(^$GetDocName$)$.htm"
                  ^!Keyboard F8
                  ;^!Shell "Explorer.exe" ^$GetDocumentPath$Groups

                  Happy NightTabbing!

                  Hugo
                • Christine
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 27, 2001
                    Jody,
                    If you wouldn't mind sending me your email address, I'll send you the clip I've been using that Pat Hanneman made. I spaced on this when I got back to DC. Sorry!

                    Christine

                    On Thu, 27 September 2001, h.paulissen@... wrote:

                    > Hello Mark & Jody,
                    >
                    > There were some slight problems with the clip, on my system it had
                    > problems opening the OTL correctly. And I didn't want to check for
                    > NoName - maybe you should use quotes there. The clip I've come up
                    > with just extracts information from the active document and pastes
                    > this into a new OUTLINE-file. After completion the original document
                    > is closed, without saving the changes... The OTL-file is opened
                    > instead.
                    >
                    > I did leave out the [-TOPICS-]-links (you can navigate by clicking
                    > the headers) and didn't do as much filtering as Mark. My selection is
                    > just based on the whole message-body itself. The output is generated
                    > in a sorted header list, from which all "RE:" info is removed. The
                    > list shows the topics in alphabetical/chronological order. All
                    > messages have an ID.
                    >
                    > If you want another header (Date/Author) you can change the first
                    > Find-clause in the :LOOP...
                    >

                    > H=YahooList
                    > ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                    > ^!Jump Doc_START
                    > ^!Replace "{Subject:}\s*{Re}:{.*}" >> "\1\3" WRAIS
                    > ^!Replace "H=" >> "X=" AS
                    > ^!Find "\d* messages" SR
                    > ^!MkDir "^$GetDocumentPath$Groups"
                    > ^!Set %ID%=1
                    > ^!Set %File%=^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\^$GetDate("mmddhhmm")$.otl
                    > ^!Delay 1
                    > ^!TextToFile "^%File%" = V5 Outline MultiLine Sorting TabWidth=30^%NL%
                    > ^%NL%H=---^$GetSelection$---^%NL%^%NL%
                    > :LOOP
                    > ^!If ^%ID%<10 ^!Set %ID%=0^%ID%
                    > ^!Find "^Subject:.*\n.*$" RS
                    > ^!IfError END
                    > ^!Set %Topic%=^$StrTrim(^$StrDeleteLeft(^$GetSelection$;9)$)$ (^%ID%)
                    > ^!AppendToFile "^%File%" H="^%Topic%"^%NL%
                    > ^!Find " Date:" BS
                    > ^!Jump Select_START
                    > ^!Set %StartTopic%=^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$
                    > ^!Find "_+\n_+\n" R
                    > ^!SelectTo ^%StartTopic%
                    > ^!AppendToFile "^%File%" ^%NL%^$GetSelection$^%NL%^%NL%
                    > ^!Inc %ID%
                    > ^!Jump Select_END
                    > ^!GoTo LOOP
                    > :END
                    > ^!Close Discard
                    > ^!Open "^%File%"
                    > ^!Replace "X=" >> "H=" AS
                    > ^!Save
                    > ^!Keyboard CTRL+ALT+Home
                    > ; For those of you that want the HTML version remove the following
                    > line
                    > ^!GoTo EXIT
                    > :EXTRA
                    > ^!Continue Save and open the outline as HTML?
                    > ^!ToolBar Document to HTML
                    > ^!Replace "{<TITLE>}.*" >> "\1Digest</TITLE>" R
                    > ^!Save AS "^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\^$GetName(^$GetDocName$)$.htm"
                    > ^!Keyboard F8
                    > ;^!Shell "Explorer.exe" ^$GetDocumentPath$Groups
                    >

                    > Happy NightTabbing!
                    >
                    > Hugo

                    e-mail from Namezero.com
                    New! Namezero Plus domains now available.
                    Find out more at: http://www.namezero.com
                  • Mark Halsall
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 27, 2001
                      Hi Hugo,

                      Many thanks for your input here. I don't fully understand it yet, but
                      here are my impressions so far ...

                      I suspect my clip didn't work as I didn't include
                      ^!MkDir "^$GetDocumentPath$Groups"
                      as you did. (Jody's prototype implicitly created the directory, and I
                      didn't think of deleting it again.)

                      I like your clip a lot, but if I run it as is I get the Outline with
                      only one header containing "------" and no other content at all.
                      If I
                      ^!Select ALL (crude, but nothing seems to have been selected)
                      just after
                      ^!Delay 1
                      then it works well, but the first heading contains the entire digest.

                      Personally, I like the [- TOPICS -] links. You can see everything on
                      one screen. I'm also more of a keyboard person, and find it very easy
                      to jump around the messages with Ctrl+H. I did think of just working
                      with the messages themselves, creating the Outline, and then using
                      Headers to Clipboard for [- TOPICS -]. My main problem was it having
                      to use the Clipboard - which I'd much prefer to keep clean. Also,
                      your Document to HTML is a good idea - I didn't think of that. Also,
                      yes, you can navigate by clicking
                      the headers, but my headers are usually so long they are impossible to
                      read without widening the Headers panel to most of the screen - I'd
                      even prefer to be able to disable the Headers panel altogether.

                      I think Jody was minded to append Outlines, and you to create new
                      Outlines. I don't know what digests you might receive, but most of
                      mine are about 200 kB each in plain text - hence I think it best to
                      use only one Outline. I'm only human, and going through them once is
                      mentally exhausting. If I want to keep something I'll copy it on the
                      fly.

                      I'm bothered about the handling of "H=" - also in mine. I don't think
                      you can include lines beginning with "H=" in an outline. At least
                      none that will survive a reload without creating new headers.
                      Ironically, this is only likely to be a problem on my Clips digest.

                      I'll refrain from posting my latest for fear of getting bogged down in
                      the details.

                      What I will say though is that either of our clips is way way better
                      than reading as an ordinary email. Even with 3 or 4 messages it's
                      worth the effort of running a clip - so you can reformat it as you
                      read it.

                      Regards,
                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 28, 2001

                        > I like your clip a lot, but if I run it as is I get the Outline with
                        > only one header containing "------" and no other content at all.
                        > If I

                        Mark,

                        I'm so sorry, it seems I must have messed with the line ^!Jump
                        Doc_Start and didn't test it anymore before sending it. Your select
                        ALL should work as well, but you don't need it if it is right before
                        the Find nr messages-line:

                        ^!Jump Doc_START
                        ^!Find "\d* messages" SR

                        As I see now you use CTRL+H to navigate the digest. I had a version
                        with Topics and Hyperlinks but decided to leave it out since I didn't
                        see the need to work with Hyperlinks then. I'll see if I can fix that
                        again.

                        In your Digest to Outline you have the numbers inserted in two ways,
                        ([] and ()), I believe. The links thus point to a non-existing
                        heading. It was easy to fix that but I don't have the time now doing
                        that.

                        I'll keep you posted.

                        Hugo
                      • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 28, 2001
                          Mark,

                          Here is a second version of my Digest-clip
                          Two improvements:
                          1. Added option W to Replace H
                          2. Hyperlinks are inserted.

                          I still don't see the need for this though, if you have CTRL+ALT+DOWN
                          to go to the next heading... <g>. Then all you have to do is hit that
                          key-combination to go to the next heading. Shortcuts:
                          CTRL+ALT+UP (previous)
                          ...+DOWN (next)
                          ...+HOME (first)
                          ...+END (last)

                          If you have more than 100 messages in a digest (which never occurs to
                          me) you might have to find a fix for the second leading zero for
                          numbers > 99. It would be great if that was a built-in function
                          (maybe it is? Who knows?...)

                          This one is tested <bg>.

                          Hugo

                          H=YahooList2
                          ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                          ^!Replace "{Subject:}\s*{Re}:{.*}" >> "\1\3" WRAIS
                          ^!Replace "H=" >> "X=" WAS
                          ^!Jump Doc_START
                          ^!Find "\d* messages" SR
                          ^!MkDir "^$GetDocumentPath$Groups"
                          ^!Set %MessagesHeading%=^$GetSelection$
                          ^!Set %ID%=1
                          ^!Set %File%=^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\^$GetDate("mmddhhmm")$.otl
                          ^!Delay 1
                          ;VLL follows (Very Long Line)
                          ^!TextToFile "^%File%" = V5 Outline MultiLine Sorting TabWidth=30^%NL%
                          ^%NL%H=---^%MessagesHeading%---^%NL%There are ^%MessagesHeading% in
                          this digest...^%NL%^%NL%-----------------------------------^%NL%
                          :Links
                          ^!If ^%ID%<10 ^!Set %ID%=0^%ID%
                          ^!Find "_+\n_+\n" R
                          ^!Find "^Subject:.*\n.*$" RS
                          ^!IfError Further
                          ^!Set %Topic%=^$StrTrim(^$StrDeleteLeft(^$GetSelection$;9)$)$ (^%ID%)
                          ^!AppendToFile "^%File%" [^%Topic%]^%NL%
                          ;Left this out because the from-field is available in the outline-
                          contents
                          ;^!Find "From" B
                          ;^!AppendToFile "^%File%" ^$StrTrim(^$StrDeleteLeft(^$GetLine$;9)$)$^%
                          NL%
                          ^!Inc %ID%
                          ^!GoTo Links
                          :Further
                          ^!AppendToFile "^%File%" ^%NL%
                          ^!Set %ID%=1
                          ^!Jump Doc_START
                          :LOOP
                          ^!If ^%ID%<10 ^!Set %ID%=0^%ID%
                          ^!Find "^Subject:.*\n.*$" RS
                          ^!IfError END
                          ^!Set %Topic%=^$StrTrim(^$StrDeleteLeft(^$GetSelection$;9)$)$ (^%ID%)
                          ;VLL follows
                          ^!AppendToFile "^%File%" H="^%Topic%"^%NL%[---^%MessagesHeading%---]
                          (Overview)^%NL%-----------------------------------^%NL%
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 28, 2001
                            Hugo,

                            My idea was to highlight/colour the subjects rather than use them as a
                            links. This is obviously confusing unless you know what I was
                            thinking. Conversely, I changed the message numbers from [] to () to
                            prevent them being highlighted.

                            > In your Digest to Outline you have the numbers inserted in two ways,
                            > ([] and ()), I believe. The links thus point to a non-existing
                            > heading. It was easy to fix that but I don't have the time now doing
                            > that.

                            The following works nicely.
                            It doesn't like [] within the subject though. That's why I had
                            ^!Replace "[" >> "{" WAS
                            ^!Replace "]" >> "}" WAS

                            I'd suggest you include
                            ^!SetHintInfo Working...

                            I have been using CTRL+UP/DOWN but never thought of CTRL+HOME/END. I
                            guess that once you know this, it does in fact make the link to the
                            first header redundant.

                            Many thanks
                            Mark

                          • h.paulissen
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1 6:21 AM
                              Yahoo is doing a little weird today (updating or so, I don't know
                              whether this message has been sent, apologies for double posting)

                              Hello Amitava,

                              > Hi Mark, Hugo, Christine, Jody
                              >
                              > I've been following this thread right from the beginning as I had
                              already
                              > written some clips for this and had been using them. In fact I had
                              sent the
                              > whole lot in a post to this group. I realize now that it had been
                              so
                              > longwinded that few must have had the patience to examine them.

                              Yes, that's right (but I thank you for beginning the discussion). I
                              took some time now and took a look at your clips. For one reason or
                              another I couldn't get your clips to work. They do something, but I
                              cannot see the outline files as I want them. I didn't have the time
                              to see what goes wrong.

                              > Just a few points FWIW:
                              > 1. I tend to go the "one main clip and a number of sub-clips"
                              route as the
                              > task of trying to decipher and debug one long clip tends to
                              overheat my
                              > brain! So instead of a clip I have a library, and will send it to
                              anyone who
                              > is interested.

                              If you have another version than the one that appeared on the list
                              some weeks ago (which I was trying to work with) I'd be happy to
                              receive a copy in my private email-address!

                              > 3. I tend to keep all the resulting outlines in sub folders under
                              the
                              > Outlines Folder like so "C:\Program files\NoteTab
                              Pro\Outlines\Clip Digests"
                              > and so on.

                              Good idea; but personaly I didn't want to put much effort in saving
                              digests etc. because the archives are normally open on the web.
                              Besides, I don't have the time to open/reread the digests anyway.

                              > 4. I keep the "Re:" part intact in the outline headings. That way
                              it seems
                              > to be easier to follow the discussion threads.
                              > 5. Like Mark I keep the topics in the "Overview section, and
                              format them as
                              > hyperlinks. The messages can be accessed from either this section
                              or from
                              > the outline pane. A belt and braces approach, but more convenient
                              than any
                              > one method IMHO.

                              It seems as if there are different specifications for different
                              users <g>. When working on these kind of joined-effort clips it
                              tends to be the case that everyone uses a different approach -
                              everyone is looking for another end-result. In my view it is a way
                              to see how others do certain tasks, and if you are satisfied with a
                              piece of code, reuse it or just adapt it to your own needs...

                              Maybe it would be wise to first identify the exact needs before the
                              actual clipping takes place.

                              > 6. Example clips: Hugo's approach changes the "H="s to "X="s at
                              the start of
                              > the process and converts them back at the end, in effect leaving
                              them
                              > unchanged. I notice that when the outline is opened, these headers
                              are

                              You're right: I forgot to search for the whole clip. I just did some
                              testing with the digests I still have. There will be other issues,
                              definitely! In the END-section of the clip

                              ^!Replace "X=" >> "H=" AS should read
                              ^!Replace "X=" >> "H=" WAS

                              (Just found that out this morning when I saw X=... in my digested
                              Outline).

                              > Commenting the headers, if any, at the beginning of the process
                              leaves them
                              > connected to their respective messages, and it is not too
                              troublesome when
                              > one is copying the example into a library.
                              >
                              > I would be interested in your comments.

                              It would be nice if you could sent me one of your digests in .txt as
                              well, to see how your digests look like. I suspect nothing much
                              different from what I have, but you never know!

                              Regards,

                              Hugo
                            • Mark Halsall
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 5 1:03 PM
                                I thought I might post my current version of this - if anyone's
                                interested. I find it indispensable. Thanks to Jorma and Elizabeth
                                for help with ^$StrReplace.

                                After much bafflement I've worked out that Jody's Noteback uses
                                OnClipboardChange event. I'm new to this, but it looks so powerful
                                it's scary. Perhaps there's a place for it here.

                                Regards,
                                Mark

                                H="Yahoo Digest to Outline"
                                ; Marks version, credits to Jody and Hugo
                                ; Cut and paste digest into a NEW Notepad document BEFORE RUNNING
                                CLIP.
                                ; Jump between hyperlinks with minimal keystrokes
                                ; Ctrl+Alt+Home to return to Topic List
                                ; Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down to move up/down messages quickly
                                ; Can sort digest messages with right-click "Sort Headings" in header
                                list

                                ^!SetHintInfo Working...
                                ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF
                                ^!ShowHeadings FALSE
                                ;beware of very long subjects
                                ^!SetWordWrap OFF
                                ;don't mess up the wrong document
                                ^!If ^$StrCopy(^$GetDocName$;1;6)$<>"NoName" EXIT

                                ^!MkDir "^$GetDocumentPath$Groups"
                                ^!IfFileExist "^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl" SKIP
                                ^!If ^$IsOpen(^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl)$=1 NEXT ELSE SKIP
                                ^!Close ^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl DISCARD
                                ^!DeleteFile ^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl

                                ^!Replace "[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]" >>
                                "" WAS
                                ^!Replace "[This message contained attachments]" >> "" WAS
                                ^!Replace "Your use of Yahoo.*$" >> "" WARS
                                ^!Replace "^pH=" >> "^pH(WITHINMESSAGE)=" WAIS
                                ^!Replace "_+\n_+" >> "END OF MESSAGE" WARS

                                ^!Find "Message: 1^p" W
                                ^!SelectTo 1:1
                                ^!InsertText = V4 Outline MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30^p^p
                                ;hyphen space so TOPIC LIST header always sorts to top
                                ^!Set %Topics%=^pH="- TOPIC LIST -"^p

                                :Loop1
                                ^!Find "^Message: " SR
                                ^!IfError Finish
                                ^!Jump SELECT_END
                                ^!Select EOL
                                ^!Set %ID%=^$GetSelection$
                                ^!If ^$StrSize(^%ID%)$=1 ^!Set %ID%=0^%ID%
                                ^!DeleteLine
                                ;if you really want the date you can open the original
                                ^!DeleteLine
                                ^!InsertText [- TOPIC LIST -]^p
                                ^!Find "From: "
                                ^!Jump SELECT_END
                                ^!Select EOL
                                ^!Set %From%=^$GetSelection$
                                ^!Find "Subject: " S
                                ^!Jump SELECT_END
                                ;highlight subject with [] to make prominent
                                ^!InsertText [
                                ^!Select EOL
                                ^!Set %Subject%=^$GetSelection$
                                ;watch out for square brackets in subject
                                ^!Set %Subject%=^$StrReplace("[";"{";"^%Subject%";False;False)$
                                ^!Set %Subject%=^$StrReplace("]";"}";"^%Subject%";False;False)$
                                ^!Set %Topics%=^%Topics%[^%Subject% (^%ID%)] ^%From%^p
                                ^!Jump LINE_END
                                ^!InsertText ]
                                ;insert header
                                ^!Jump -2
                                ^!InsertText ^pH=^%Subject% (^%ID%)^p
                                ^!Jump +2
                                ^!Goto Loop1

                                :Finish
                                ^!Jump 2
                                ^!InsertText ^%Topics%
                                ^!Select ALL
                                ^!Delay 3
                                ^!Keyboard ALT+M A L
                                ;delete from TOPIC LIST only
                                ^!Replace "END OF MESSAGE" >> "" SH
                                ;delete multiple blank lines
                                ^!Replace "^p^p^p" >> "^p^p" WAS
                                ^!IfError Next else Skip_-1
                                ;disable H= if within message
                                ^!Replace "^pH(WITHINMESSAGE)=" >> "^p===== CLIP FOLLOWS =====^pH="
                                WAS
                                ^!Save AS ^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl
                                ^!Close ^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl
                                ^!Open "^$GetDocumentPath$Groups\Digest.otl"
                                ;remove email addresses from Topic List
                                ^!Select ALL
                                ^!Replace "\s<[A-Z_.-0-9]+@[A-Z_.-0-9]+>$" >> "" HARIS
                                ^!Jump 1

                                :HTML OPTION
                                ;For those of you that want the HTML option remove the following line
                                ^!GoTo EXIT

                                ^!Continue Open the outline as HTML? - Cancel to use outline
                                ;^!ToolBar Remove Heading ;^!Keyboard ENTER ;doesn't seem to work
                                ^!Keyboard Shift+F6 Shift+Ctrl+R Enter
                                ^!Replace "END OF MESSAGE" >> "" WAS
                                ^!Replace "[- TOPIC LIST -]^p" >> "" WAS
                                ^!ToolBar Document to HTML
                                ^!Replace "{<TITLE>}.*" >> "\1Yahoo Digest</TITLE>" R
                                ^!Keyboard F8