Re: [Clip] Re: txt2html

  • ::Andrew::

      Hello John,

      Thanks for this thought, at least it's flagged with me the txt to
      html/with para tags which will probably be useful.

      I had grand visions that the whole process could be automated, i'm
      expecting submissions from my website and would like to be able to
      post all the new stuff instantly and possibly invisibly. It should be
      very straight forward to build a clip from what I've learnt so far.
      And I like the idea of automating it cause if I can do it this time
      I'm sure there will be many more applications :)

      JZ>    I've used NTP to create thousands of HTML documents, and any
      JZ> time
      JZ> I want to create one from a text file, I first create my HTML
      JZ> file
      JZ> using one of my custom HTML templates for NTP..  That takes
      JZ> care of
      JZ> the meta tags, the link to my CSS files, and all those other
      JZ> details..  Then I'll open the text only file, and using the
      JZ> toolbar
      JZ> MODIFY/DOCUMENT TO HTML/WITH PARAGRAPH TAGS command, which is
      JZ> what
      JZ> your clip is doing, I'll convert that text file into basic
      JZ> html...
      JZ> Taking the results of that, I'll copy everything between the
      JZ> <BODY>
      JZ> </BODY> tags and paste it into the body section of the HTML file
      JZ> previously created with my HTML template.
      JZ>    I could write a clip that does all that, but I haven't
      JZ> because the
      JZ> entire operation only takes about 5 seconds anyway..

      JZ>    As far as formatting the text in the HTML file, I do that
      JZ> with an
      JZ> external stylesheet, again the entire operation only takes
      JZ> seconds no
      JZ> matter how large the file is..

      JZ>    I love creating and using clips, but in situations like
      JZ> you're
      JZ> describing I haven't found a clip to be necessary...

      - --
      Best regards,
      ::Andrew:: mailto:notetab@...

      http://at.omic.co.uk

    • Andy Young
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2001
        Hi, Andrew,

        > I really want to be able to edit how the html file is created for
        > example personalise the meta tags created etc etc.

        The settings are found on the menu under
        View -> Options -> Internet Tab
        According to the help file here are the settings used

        HTML Header: HTML Header used by the "Document to HTML" command.
        HTML Footer: HTML Footer used by the "Document to HTML" command.

        I hope this helps. You might want to look up the help file on
        templates. It might be the easier route to take. Oh, BTW opening a
        template in NoteTab executes the template. Use edit if you want to
        look at what a htm template contains. There is one that comes with
        NoteTab.

        Andy
      • ::Andrew::

          Hello Andy,

          Thanks that looks really useful :)

          I'm just creating a template, I read in the help file that it's
          possible to use clip commands in a template.

          I use dreamweaver to create pages in the main, and dreamweaver has
          library files (which appear to just be text files) so could i write a
          small clip into the template to add the content of the library file into
          the template when the template is opened - this would seem possible.

          Can anyone tell me what code would be needed?

          Thanks

          Andrew

          Saturday, September 08, 2001, 3:53:42 AM, you wrote:

          AY> Hi, Andrew,

          >> I really want to be able to edit how the html file is created for
          >> example personalise the meta tags created etc etc.

          AY> The settings are found on the menu under
          View ->> Options -> Internet Tab
          AY> According to the help file here are the settings used

          AY> HTML Header: HTML Header used by the "Document to HTML" command.
          AY> HTML Footer: HTML Footer used by the "Document to HTML" command.

          AY> I hope this helps. You might want to look up the help file on
          AY> templates. It might be the easier route to take. Oh, BTW opening a
          AY> template in NoteTab executes the template. Use edit if you want to
          AY> look at what a htm template contains. There is one that comes with
          AY> NoteTab.

          AY> Andy

          AY> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          AY> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to theYahoo! Terms of Service.

          - --
          Best regards,
          ::Andrew:: mailto:notetab@...

          http://at.omic.co.uk

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 10, 2001
            Hi ::Andrew::,

            I think I am just about caught up on mail. Sorry if I duplicated
            any questions there were already answered. Wow, 2am, goodnight
            (or good morning I should say. Got to get some sleep.)

            >I found a clip under utilities which converts txt to html but all
            >it does is call a toolbar command. As below.
            >
            >;Convert text to HTML format
            >^!Toolbar Document to HTML
            >^!IfError SkipConversion
            >
            >I really want to be able to edit how the html file is created for
            >example personalise the meta tags created etc etc.
            >
            >Would this be possible or would I need to create a clip for
            >txt2html from scratch.

            You could do it with a Clip or Template. Make all your headings
            and tags that remain the same hard coded in the Clip. An example
            would be like below. Look at some of the Clips in NoteTab's HTML
            Library for more examples.

            <head>
            <title>^?[Title]</title>
            <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.notetab.net" title="funsheet">
            </head>

            Add body text here...

            Ideally, you would want to search for "Add body text here..." so
            that you could start typing over the selection or paste in your
            body text. I normally just open a text file I want to convert so
            that all the paragraphs use the CSS or <p align="justify">...</p>
            that I use.

            > I use dreamweaver to create pages in the main, and dreamweaver
            > has library files (which appear to just be text files) so could
            > i write a small clip into the template to add the content of
            > the library file into the template when the template is opened
            > - this would seem possible.

            If you just want plain text inserted, just type it (or paste) in
            the Template or Clip like I did above. If you want an option on what
            text to be inserted, then use a wizard:

            ^?[Text 1^=Text to insert|Text 2^=Text to insert]

            You can use the ^!InsertText command if you want and under
            certain circumstances it is preferred.

            ^!InsertText ^?[Text 1^=Text to insert|Text 2^=Text to insert]^p

            (In some cases you need to use the preset variable ^%nl% for a new
            line instead of the token ^p.

            http://www.notetab.net

            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
          • ::Andrew::
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 11, 2001
                Hi ::Andrew::,

                Some or all of the following may be technically incorrect. I'm
                still on my first full cup of espresso!-) Advance at your own
                risk. <g>

                >the dreamweaver library files seem to be just text files with a
                >different extension. If I could have a small clip to insert that
                >file into the template when it's created that would be great. As
                >you may know library items in dreamweaver are pretty useful -

                Well, we can't have Dreamweaver out do NoteTab can we? ;->

                ... more html code ...
                ^!InsertFile ^?[Text file to insert=Path\File1.ext|Path\File2.ext|...]
                ... more html code ...
                Your one click FTP commind-line here (See my FTPZip for one
                clickers using Ws_FtpLE|Pro
                http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm or figure out how to make
                one for NoteTab's FTP Library - I think I have an example laying
                around if you need it, but David in Israel probably has one handy
                or another list member - I suggest you take out your usname and pw
                if you send a sample Clip in. <g>)

                >Also on the internet tab/or html2txt button the only thing that
                >can't seem to be specified in the template is the font,size,
                >colour etc of the inserted text.

                You can do a <font> tag for the whole document, although the HTML
                gurus will hang us if they see us using the depreciated tag. <bg>

                After the body tag add a font wizard (or CSS to satisfy the
                validators) instead of the <font> tag. Close it before the
                Internet or make it a wizard in a Clip or Template. You could
                also use the command called ^!FarClip like so:

                ^!FarClip "HTML:Basic Color Codes"

                ^!FarClip LibraryName:ClipName
                ^!FarClip "LibraryName:ClipName" [Text]

                Similar to the ^!Clip command but invokes a Clip from a library
                on disk instead of the active library. Clips invoked through this
                method are stored in an internal cache memory to improve
                performance (the cache will reload the Clip to memory if it
                detects that the Library file has been modified). LibraryName
                name must be stored in the Libraries folder if you do not specify
                a path, but does not need to have the .clb extension (you can use
                a different extension if you do not want the library to be listed
                in the Clipbook tool or the button bar). This command is
                particularly useful within specialized Template files. You can
                also use it to invoke frequently used procedures.

                Example: ^!FarClip HTML:Center

                I like to add code that will wrap paragraphs in <p align="justify">
                or in CSS code bypassing Options | Internet altogether, although
                I have <style sheet..."> in my Options | Internet. I use it for
                "quick pages" and select my text to add my CSS tags around the
                paragraphs. My terminology could very well be incorrect. I'm
                one of those idiots that uses the three main browsers as my
                validators at times. <g> I have the latest CSEValidator, Tidy,
                TopStyle, and links to w3c validators. In other words, I have
                the best of the best, but do not care to much to use them. ;-)
                Don't follow my bad habits though.

              • tenu@sci.fi
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 12, 2001
                  --- In ntb-clips@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
                  > You can do a <font> tag for the whole document, although the HTML
                  > gurus will hang us if they see us using the depreciated tag. <bg>

                  This would probably belong to HTML list, reply there if necessary.

                  elements as <p/ul/ol/dlfor/table>. Encapsulating the document in

                  Using <font> as safegurad is better than relying on CCS alone as you
                  can easily make a mistake of changing the background color without
                  specifying contrasting text color, making the text unreadable with
                  CSS-disabled browsers. With CSS-disabled I mean either no CSS
                  support, or CSS disabled by user.

                  Jorma