Need variable for "word beneath cursor"

  • steveadausa@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2001
      Hello Everybody.

      I need to create a clip very similar to
      "Open File at Cursor", except I need several of
      them, because many of the files I need to open
      will have different extentions and be in different
      directories.

      I need a variable for the "word at the cursor".
      (I can not find a list of built-in variables).
      Then I need the command that says "open this file".
      (these are all ascii files that I am referring to).

      Any help directing me to the variable especially
      will be appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Steve Adams NTP
    • Alan C.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2001
        Hi Steve,

        >I need a variable for the "word at the cursor".

        no such animal, not directly anyway. However, there happens to be in help
        under

        Clip Language - Select, Copy, and Insert Text

        there is

        ^!Select

        which is a command to select a specified amount. And, next, an example of
        a specific amount to select:

        WORD(s): selects the word at the cursor position. If several words are
        partially selected, WORDS extends the selection to include a whole word at
        each end.

        So,

        ^!Select WORD
        ^!Set %var1%=^$GetSelection$

        Here we set a variable and got the content of what was selected, and put
        that content into the variable. Name the var (variable) free to choose
        your own name. The getselection is a function which returns and puts the
        selected word, puts it into your variable, the variable that's named by you
        the writer of clip.

        >(I can not find a list of built-in variables).

        In help under: Clip Language - Variables
        9th paragraph down (called pre defined variables)

        >Then I need the command that says "open this file".

        ^!Open "c:\my documents\myfile.txt"

        note: be sure and use quotes as is above there

        >them, because many of the files I need to open
        >will have different extentions and be in different
        >directories.

        if U happen to have a list of your files in a document where each path and
        file is on a separate line then maybe you could use

        ^!Select LINE

        help > help topics > the "find" tab
        and type in what U looking for. Has a lot. Compliments help's help topics
        content section very much so.

        ^!Set %later%=bye_bye
        ^!Info ^%later%
        ------
        Alan.
      • rdeckard_@excite.ca
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2001
          I use quotes around the file name and then use the Set %variable%=GetQuoteBlock and Shell ^%variablee% to open files with their associated program.
          I use the "short" pathname as the filename. A freeware utility called Path Copy can quickly copy it to the clipboard for pasting into the appropriate section.
          For your consideration. . .

          --- In ntb-clips@y..., steveadausa@y... wrote:
          > Hello Everybody.
          >
          > I need to create a clip very similar to
          > "Open File at Cursor", except I need several of
          > them, because many of the files I need to open
          > will have different extentions and be in different
          > directories.
          >
          > I need a variable for the "word at the cursor".
          > (I can not find a list of built-in variables).
          > Then I need the command that says "open this file".
          > (these are all ascii files that I am referring to).
          >
          > Any help directing me to the variable especially
          > will be appreciated.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Steve Adams NTP
        • Manuel_123
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2001
            Hi rdeckard

            I read your post and it's a very good idea. I've all my doc in the
            same folder.

            I write "pepito grillo.xls"
            I put the cursor between " .... "
            and launch the asociate application with the clip

            Regards.
            --- START OF THE CLIP---
            H="launchfilecite"
            ^!Set %variable%=^$GetQuoteBlock("No")$
            ;Path of my documents
            ^!Set %path%="C:\bd-datos\"
            ^!shell "^%path%^%variable%"
            -- END OF THE CLIP ---

            ---
            manuel123@...
            Cursos para ciegos (Courses for blind people)
            Windows,Iexplorer,Outlook,Html,Word,Excel,Access
            http://manuel123.8m.com (en espaƱol)
            http://infoman.8m.com (english page)