Re: [Clip] Mathematical Expressions

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2001
      At 02:05 PM 9/3/01 -0700, you wrote:
      >Hello NoteTabbers,
      >
      >I am attempting to customize a clip that was posted to this list
      >several months ago. My question concerns the use of two functions
      >that I do not recognize.
      >
      > >From the Help topic "Calculate in NoteTab";
      >
      > "NoteTab can also calculate mathematical expressions in a
      > document. Expressions can have up to 40 imbedded parentheses.
      >
      > [...Snipped for brevity...]
      >
      > Accepted operators:
      >
      > + , - , * , / , ^ , MOD, DIV"
      >

      >I'm doing fine with this topic up to this point, except that I do
      >not understand the use of the operators "MOD" and "DIV". Can someone
      >provide a brief explanation?

      The div Operator
      The div operator stands for integer division. The operands must be integer
      and its result is integer. The result of
      A div B
      is the integer you get when you divide A by B and throw away any remainder.
      For example,
      7 div 2
      is the integer 3.
      -7 div 2
      is the integer -3.
      The mod Operator
      The mod operator stands for the mathematical ``modulo'' operation. Its
      operands must both be integer. The general form of the operation is
      A mod B
      where A and B are expressions. The value of B must be positive.
      The result of the mod operation is always non-negative, and is equal to A
      modulo B. If A is non-negative, this value will be equal to
      A - ( (A div B) * B )
      In other words, it is the non-negative remainder that is left after A is
      divided by B.

      modulo modulo (moj'-l`, mod'y-l`) noun
      An arithmetic operation whose result is the remainder of a division
      operation. For example, 17 modulo 3 = 2 because 17 divided by 3 yields a
      remainder of 2. Modulo operations are used in programming.