Mathematical Expressions

  • Ben Barnet
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2001
      Hello NoteTabbers,

      I am attempting to customize a clip that was posted to this list
      several months ago. My question concerns the use of two functions
      that I do not recognize.

      From the Help topic "Calculate in NoteTab";

      "NoteTab can also calculate mathematical expressions in a
      document. Expressions can have up to 40 imbedded parentheses.

      [...Snipped for brevity...]

      Accepted operators:

      + , - , * , / , ^ , MOD, DIV"

      I'm doing fine with this topic up to this point, except that I do
      not understand the use of the operators "MOD" and "DIV". Can someone
      provide a brief explanation?

      TIA
      Ben
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2001
        At 02:05 PM 9/3/01 -0700, you wrote:
        >Hello NoteTabbers,
        >
        >I am attempting to customize a clip that was posted to this list
        >several months ago. My question concerns the use of two functions
        >that I do not recognize.
        >
        > >From the Help topic "Calculate in NoteTab";
        >
        > "NoteTab can also calculate mathematical expressions in a
        > document. Expressions can have up to 40 imbedded parentheses.
        >
        > [...Snipped for brevity...]
        >
        > Accepted operators:
        >
        > + , - , * , / , ^ , MOD, DIV"
        >

        >I'm doing fine with this topic up to this point, except that I do
        >not understand the use of the operators "MOD" and "DIV". Can someone
        >provide a brief explanation?

        The div Operator
        The div operator stands for integer division. The operands must be integer
        and its result is integer. The result of
        A div B
        is the integer you get when you divide A by B and throw away any remainder.
        For example,
        7 div 2
        is the integer 3.
        -7 div 2
        is the integer -3.
        The mod Operator
        The mod operator stands for the mathematical ``modulo'' operation. Its
        operands must both be integer. The general form of the operation is
        A mod B
        where A and B are expressions. The value of B must be positive.
        The result of the mod operation is always non-negative, and is equal to A
        modulo B. If A is non-negative, this value will be equal to
        A - ( (A div B) * B )
        In other words, it is the non-negative remainder that is left after A is
        divided by B.

        modulo modulo (moj'-l`, mod'y-l`) noun
        An arithmetic operation whose result is the remainder of a division
        operation. For example, 17 modulo 3 = 2 because 17 divided by 3 yields a
        remainder of 2. Modulo operations are used in programming.