Re: [Clip] Difference between clips, scripts and wizards?

  • Rick Friedline
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1 5:20 PM
      At 01:15 PM 9/1/01 -0700, Clueless in Seattle wrote:

      >When I try to extract from those defintions, what it is exactly that
      >clips, scripts and wizards do; her's what I get:
      >
      > clip: perform text processing and other functions
      > script: perform a variety of tasks
      > wizard: perform certain functions
      >
      >I think the operative word may be the word "certain" in the definition
      >of "wizard." Is a wizard a special kind of clip that does things that
      >ordinary clips can't?

      Yes

      >Are the terms "clip" and "script" interchangeable?"

      Yes

      >Would it be correct to say : "all wizards are clips, but not all
      >clips are wizards?"

      This would be correct as far as it concerns NoteTab, but I don't see
      where that knowledge is particularly useful in understanding how to
      write clips :-) I mean knowing that all cats are animals, but not all
      animals are cats, doesn't help anyone figure out how to train a tiger
      not to eat them :-)

      While the definition of WIZARD is a bit lacking in the NoteTab
      glossary, once you know CLIP and SCRIPT you should be able to
      reason-out WIZARD.

      First of all, only the term CLIP is specific to NoteTab. SCRIPT and
      WIZARD are common programming terms. For example, if you use WinZip:
      "The WinZip® Wizard simplifies the process of creating, updating,
      unzipping and installing software distributed in Zip files using the
      standard and familiar "wizard" interface." Internet Explorer also has
      its Connection Wizard to prompt you through setting up your dialup
      connections.

      Here is what the glossary says on CLIP, SCRIPT, and WIZARD [with my
      comments in between and after]:

      Each Clip is composed of commands and functions written in NoteTab's
      Clip scripting code
      [Thus, a CLIP is a "NoteTab" SCRIPT]

      A SCRIPT is a way for the user to "talk" to the program. NoteTab uses
      the Clipbook language which enables users to make very powerful Clips
      ... other scripting languages are: AppleScript, JAVASCRIPT, PERL, and
      VBScript.
      [SCRIPT code, using NoteTab's Clipbook language, is used to
      make a CLIP]

      A WIZARD is a program or program tool that helps the user to perform
      certain functions in a program. A common WIZARD in Windows is the "Add
      Printer Wizard"; it asks all of the required information, and some
      optional information, to help the user quickly and easily set up a new
      printer.
      [A NoteTab WIZARD is an automated CLIP that employs user
      prompts to obtain variable information to perform a function IN
      NOTETAB. See my comments above regarding two other Win Wizards that
      perform functions in Windows and this should be clearer.]

      HTH [Hope this helps]

      Rick Friedline

    • Clueless in Seattle
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1 9:05 PM
        Jody wrote:

        > Presently, the terms used for the Clipbook Library, Libraries,
        > and Clips do not correctly define what they are. They were
        > correct in the early days of NoteTab, but it has now outgrown the
        > original terminology used. In NoteTab 5.0 Eric will be renaming
        > the Clipbook and associated parts/tools so that they do not cause
        > as much confusion and will hopefully "paint" a clearer picture of
        > what they are.

        It is quite a coincidence that you brought this up, because this
        afternoon I added the following note to my working copy of the NoteTab
        Glossary entry for "Clipbook:"

        '"Library Viewer" would be a more useful name for the "clipbook".

        'And if we must retain the "library" analogy, then we might do better
        to could call the clipbook the "catalog." But if we really want to be
        consistent; then what are now called "libraries" would instead be
        called clipbooks; because they are the "books" that contain the
        "clips;" just as a coupon book contains coupons, and a check book
        contains checks.

        'The folders (or directories) that contain the "books" could then be
        called "libraries." And what is now called the "clipbook" would
        become the "clipbook viewer."

        'So the data structure might look like this:

        Clip Library (Folder/Directory containing clip "books")
        Clipbook: (file containing clips)
        Clip: (Individual macro programs)

        'But since the worldwide user base of NoteTab already knows the
        present terminology, it would be next to impossible to get them to
        learn a newer, even if more logical, system. Sort of like trying to
        get the British to drive on the right side of the road.'

        I wouldn't get very high marks as a prognosticator, because from what
        you just wrote me, it looks like I was dead wrong; and we will indeed
        see a revamped nomenclature. This is one time when I'm quite happy to
        be proved wrong :)

        P.S. I'd like to say "thanks" to Jody and Rick Friedline for taking
        the time to explain in detail the distinctions between clips, scripts,
        and wizards.
      • Manuel_123
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6 3:29 PM
          It's possible make a test more esay?
          I would like do test similar the next

          but I would like write similar to in the clip

          Q. Where do you live
          A. Spain
          B. France
          C. Usa
          AOK=A

          It's posible make the text wiht a font bigger in the wizard?
          -------
          test
          ^!set %r%=^?[(H=9)Where live Manuel==A. Spain^=A|B. France^=B|C.
          Usa^=c]
          ^!set %ok%=A
          ^!IfSame "^%r%" "^%ok" ^!Info ok
          ^!IfDiff "^%r%" "^%ok" ^!Info Answer is ^%ok%
          ---------

          But the next don't work
          -------
          test
          ^!set %A%="Spain"
          ^!set %B%="France"
          ^!set %C%="Usa"

          ^!set %r%=^?[(H=9)Where live Manuel==A. ^%A% ^=A|B. ^%B%^=B|C.
          ^%C%^=c]
          ^!set %ok%=A
          ^!IfSame "^%r%" "^%ok" ^!Info ok
          ^!IfDiff "^%r%" "^%ok" ^!Info Answer is ^%ok%
          ;^!If %r% = "2" ^!Info ok
          -------

          ---
          manuel123@...
          Cursos para ciegos (Courses for blind people)
          Windows,Iexplorer,Outlook,Html,Word,Excel,Access
          http://manuel123.8m.com (en espa├▒ol)
          http://infoman.8m.com (english page)
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6 9:42 PM
            Hi Manuel_123,

            >but I would like write similar to in the clip
            >
            >Q. Where do you live
            >A. Spain
            >B. France
            >C. Usa
            >AOK=A
            >
            >It's posible make the text wiht a font bigger in the wizard?

            Not in the wizard, but the Info boxes can be changed. Right
            click in one. That will set it in all Info boxes until you
            change it.

            >^!set %ok%=A

            Perhaps you need to set %ok%

            http://www.notetab.net