Difference between clips, scripts and wizards?

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
      I'm still struggling with basic vocabulary of clip language and don't
      understand the differences between clips, scripts and wizards.

      The glossary says that a "Clip" is: "A script written for the Clipbook
      in NoteTab to perform text processing and other functions." That
      definition makes me wonder how a "clip" is the same as a "script:" "A
      script is a way for the user to "talk" to the program. NoteTab uses
      the Clipbook language which enables users to make very powerful clips
      to perform a variety of tasks." And that makes me wonder where the
      wizards fit into the picture: "A wizard is a program or program tool
      that helps the user to perform certain functions in a program."

      When I try to extract from those defintions, what it is exactly that
      clips, scripts and wizards do; her's what I get:

      clip: perform text processing and other functions
      script: perform a variety of tasks
      wizard: perform certain functions

      I think the operative word may be the word "certain" in the definition
      of "wizard." Is a wizard a special kind of clip that does things that
      ordinary clips can't?

      Are the terms "clip" and "script" interchangeable?"

      Would it be correct to say : "all wizards are clips, but not all
      clips are wizards?"

      In the above definitions, is the word "function" used in it's
      colloquial sense to mean something like "actions;" or is it used in
      it's technical sense to mean a programming term that is different from
      a command in that it doesn't execute an action but instead returns a
      value?
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
        Hi Clueless in Seattle,

        >The glossary says that a "Clip" is: "A script written for the
        >Clipbook in NoteTab to perform text processing and other
        >functions." That definition makes me wonder how a "clip" is the
        >same as a "script:" "A script is a way for the user to "talk" to
        >the program. NoteTab uses the Clipbook language which enables
        >users to make very powerful clips to perform a variety of tasks."
        >And that makes me wonder where the wizards fit into the picture:
        >"A wizard is a program or program tool that helps the user to
        >perform certain functions in a program."

        Clip and script are pretty much use interchangeably in NoteTab.
        However, a Clip can contain a script, but a script does not
        really contain a Clip. ;) Clips contain text that is to be used
        to paste into a document and/or commands and functions that are
        normally written to perform tasks. A Clip can contain one or
        more lines consisting of text, commands, and functions. The
        lines of Clip code can also be referred to as a script.

        When the Clipbook was introduced (January 1997, version 2.0) the
        main function of it was to paste often used snippets of text into
        a document and also launch programs. The Clips at that time were
        not really scripts which are normally written in a type of a
        programming (or scripting) language like PERL, GAWK, CGI. When
        NoteTab 4.00 was released Eric added a significant amount of code
        to the Clipbook and at that time it became a basic scripting
        language. Today, there are almost 900 commands and functions in
        the Clipbook programming language. So, at first the term Clips
        had a very basic meaning and one would not consider them a
        script.

        Presently, the terms used for the Clipbook Library, Libraries,
        and Clips do not correctly define what they are. They were
        correct in the early days of NoteTab, but it has now outgrown the
        original terminology used. In NoteTab 5.0 Eric will be renaming
        the Clipbook and associated parts/tools so that they do not cause
        as much confusion and will hopefully "paint" a clearer picture of
        what they are.

        >When I try to extract from those defintions, what it is exactly
        >that clips, scripts and wizards do; her's what I get:
        >
        > clip: perform text processing and other functions
        > script: perform a variety of tasks
        > wizard: perform certain functions
        >
        >I think the operative word may be the word "certain" in the
        >definition of "wizard." Is a wizard a special kind of clip that
        >does things that ordinary clips can't?

        In short, a wizard is a dialog of some type that queries the user
        for something. It may give choices and/or allowing for the
        user's own input. The NoteTab Glossary goes into more detail and
        my ClipClass has a whole lesson just on wizards alone: 2LA Lesson
        Two. (Lesson One also has a bit about wizards.)

        >Are the terms "clip" and "script" interchangeable?"

        They seem to be. ;-)

        >Would it be correct to say : "all wizards are clips, but not all
        >clips are wizards?"

        Yes, Clips *can* contain wizards, but wizards do not contain
        Clips at all. All those little popups you see that ask for some
        kind of input (picked from a list or user input) are wizards.
        The ones with the [...] browse button are also wizards. See "2LA
        Lesson Two: Types of Wizards" for more information.

        >In the above definitions, is the word "function" used in it's
        >colloquial sense to mean something like "actions;" or is it used in
        >it's technical sense to mean a programming term that is different from
        >a command in that it doesn't execute an action but instead returns a
        >value?

        It is the latter the way I understand them. A programmer might
        explain it better for us if one made it this far. <g> Kay Roathe
        has a good definition of commands and functions are her site.
        She use to be very active on the lists, but since then she had
        other matters that "took her" away from us. Write me in private
        eMail if you find any of the following links not working:

        http://notetab.docs4.com/
        http://intro.docs4.com/
        http://sure2com.hypermart.net/khelp.zip
        http://sure2com.hypermart.net/kclip.zip
        http://sure2com.hypermart.net/notetabclips.htm

        http://www.notetab.net

        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Rick Friedline
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
          At 01:15 PM 9/1/01 -0700, Clueless in Seattle wrote:

          >When I try to extract from those defintions, what it is exactly that
          >clips, scripts and wizards do; her's what I get:
          >
          > clip: perform text processing and other functions
          > script: perform a variety of tasks
          > wizard: perform certain functions
          >
          >I think the operative word may be the word "certain" in the definition
          >of "wizard." Is a wizard a special kind of clip that does things that
          >ordinary clips can't?

          Yes

          >Are the terms "clip" and "script" interchangeable?"

          Yes

          >Would it be correct to say : "all wizards are clips, but not all
          >clips are wizards?"

          This would be correct as far as it concerns NoteTab, but I don't see
          where that knowledge is particularly useful in understanding how to
          write clips :-) I mean knowing that all cats are animals, but not all
          animals are cats, doesn't help anyone figure out how to train a tiger
          not to eat them :-)

          While the definition of WIZARD is a bit lacking in the NoteTab
          glossary, once you know CLIP and SCRIPT you should be able to
          reason-out WIZARD.

          First of all, only the term CLIP is specific to NoteTab. SCRIPT and
          WIZARD are common programming terms. For example, if you use WinZip:
          "The WinZip® Wizard simplifies the process of creating, updating,
          unzipping and installing software distributed in Zip files using the
          standard and familiar "wizard" interface." Internet Explorer also has
          its Connection Wizard to prompt you through setting up your dialup
          connections.

          Here is what the glossary says on CLIP, SCRIPT, and WIZARD [with my
          comments in between and after]:

          Each Clip is composed of commands and functions written in NoteTab's
          Clip scripting code
          [Thus, a CLIP is a "NoteTab" SCRIPT]

          A SCRIPT is a way for the user to "talk" to the program. NoteTab uses
          the Clipbook language which enables users to make very powerful Clips
          ... other scripting languages are: AppleScript, JAVASCRIPT, PERL, and
          VBScript.
          [SCRIPT code, using NoteTab's Clipbook language, is used to
          make a CLIP]

          A WIZARD is a program or program tool that helps the user to perform
          certain functions in a program. A common WIZARD in Windows is the "Add
          Printer Wizard"; it asks all of the required information, and some
          optional information, to help the user quickly and easily set up a new
          printer.
          [A NoteTab WIZARD is an automated CLIP that employs user
          prompts to obtain variable information to perform a function IN
          NOTETAB. See my comments above regarding two other Win Wizards that
          perform functions in Windows and this should be clearer.]

          HTH [Hope this helps]

          Rick Friedline

        • Clueless in Seattle
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
            Jody wrote:

            > Presently, the terms used for the Clipbook Library, Libraries,
            > and Clips do not correctly define what they are. They were
            > correct in the early days of NoteTab, but it has now outgrown the
            > original terminology used. In NoteTab 5.0 Eric will be renaming
            > the Clipbook and associated parts/tools so that they do not cause
            > as much confusion and will hopefully "paint" a clearer picture of
            > what they are.

            It is quite a coincidence that you brought this up, because this
            afternoon I added the following note to my working copy of the NoteTab
            Glossary entry for "Clipbook:"

            '"Library Viewer" would be a more useful name for the "clipbook".

            'And if we must retain the "library" analogy, then we might do better
            to could call the clipbook the "catalog." But if we really want to be
            consistent; then what are now called "libraries" would instead be
            called clipbooks; because they are the "books" that contain the
            "clips;" just as a coupon book contains coupons, and a check book
            contains checks.

            'The folders (or directories) that contain the "books" could then be
            called "libraries." And what is now called the "clipbook" would
            become the "clipbook viewer."

            'So the data structure might look like this:

            Clip Library (Folder/Directory containing clip "books")
            Clipbook: (file containing clips)
            Clip: (Individual macro programs)

            'But since the worldwide user base of NoteTab already knows the
            present terminology, it would be next to impossible to get them to
            learn a newer, even if more logical, system. Sort of like trying to
            get the British to drive on the right side of the road.'

            I wouldn't get very high marks as a prognosticator, because from what
            you just wrote me, it looks like I was dead wrong; and we will indeed
            see a revamped nomenclature. This is one time when I'm quite happy to
            be proved wrong :)

            P.S. I'd like to say "thanks" to Jody and Rick Friedline for taking
            the time to explain in detail the distinctions between clips, scripts,
            and wizards.
          • Manuel_123
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2001
              It's possible make a test more esay?
              I would like do test similar the next

              but I would like write similar to in the clip

              Q. Where do you live
              A. Spain
              B. France
              C. Usa
              AOK=A

              It's posible make the text wiht a font bigger in the wizard?
              -------
              test
              ^!set %r%=^?[(H=9)Where live Manuel==A. Spain^=A|B. France^=B|C.
              Usa^=c]
              ^!set %ok%=A
              ^!IfSame "^%r%" "^%ok" ^!Info ok
              ^!IfDiff "^%r%" "^%ok" ^!Info Answer is ^%ok%
              ---------

              But the next don't work
              -------
              test
              ^!set %A%="Spain"
              ^!set %B%="France"
              ^!set %C%="Usa"

              ^!set %r%=^?[(H=9)Where live Manuel==A. ^%A% ^=A|B. ^%B%^=B|C.
              ^%C%^=c]
              ^!set %ok%=A
              ^!IfSame "^%r%" "^%ok" ^!Info ok
              ^!IfDiff "^%r%" "^%ok" ^!Info Answer is ^%ok%
              ;^!If %r% = "2" ^!Info ok
              -------

              ---
              manuel123@...
              Cursos para ciegos (Courses for blind people)
              Windows,Iexplorer,Outlook,Html,Word,Excel,Access
              http://manuel123.8m.com (en espa├▒ol)
              http://infoman.8m.com (english page)
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2001
                Hi Manuel_123,

                >but I would like write similar to in the clip
                >
                >Q. Where do you live
                >A. Spain
                >B. France
                >C. Usa
                >AOK=A
                >
                >It's posible make the text wiht a font bigger in the wizard?

                Not in the wizard, but the Info boxes can be changed. Right
                click in one. That will set it in all Info boxes until you
                change it.

                >^!set %ok%=A

                Perhaps you need to set %ok%