I've just uploaded a pre-release copy of NoteTab Light 4.86. You can get it
from the following link (size 1,483 KB):
* The "Help/Replace MS Notepad" menu command is now available under Windows
2000 and XP. I hope it works <g>.
* Unicode files are now automatically detected on loading and converted to
ANSI for display in the editor. Note that the process will not convert
characters correctly if they are not available in the current ANSI
character set. By default, Unicode files are opened in Read-Only mode. See
the "Protect Unicode Files" setting described below.
* New "Protect Unicode Files" setting on the General tab of the Options
dialog. When NoteTab opens Unicode files, it has to convert them to the
ANSI character set, which contains much fewer characters. As a result, the
conversion process may drop non-ANSI and cause the loss of information.
When this setting is checked, Unicode files are opened in Read-Only mode,
which protects the file from changes. If you know that your Unicode
documents will not loose important information during the conversion
process, you can uncheck this option in order to open such files in
* File Security attributes should now be correctly preserved when a file is
saved with backups enabled.
* New command-line parameter "/DDE=True or False" to switch off or
re-enable DDE communication with Internet Explorer, Netscape, and Opera
browsers. This is useful on some faulty Windows ME systems that hang when
DDE is used.
* Search Disk now automatically save matches in Favorites file "Search
Disk.fvr", so the files can easily be opened at any time until the next search.
* Incremental Clipbook backups using the tilde are now automatically hidden
to avoid their appearing in the Clipbook bar.
* When searching through subdirectories, directories with the hidden,
read-only, or system attributes were skipped. This is now fixed.
* Fixed a glitch in the regexp engine. A replace operation would sometimes
fail if the search pattern ended with the $ token.
* Fixed a glitch in Join Lines command that failed to join lines containing
a single character.
* Fixed a glitch in the Strip HTML command that failed to produce a blank
line when encountering a double line break <br><br>.
* Fixed a glitch in the Clip command "^!Select nnn", which failed to work
properly if the range reached a non-empty last line.
* Fixed a glitch in the "Ordered List" and "Unordered list" clips from the
HTML Clipbook library.
If you find any glitches, please report them to <bugs@...
> as soon
as possible so that they can be fixed in the final release. Thanks in
advance for your feedback.
Eric G.V. Fookes
Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Album Express