Clips embeded in files

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30 2:41 PM
      Hyperlinks and/or clips seem like they would be a great way to organize
      a long complicated document. You could store different parts of the
      document in separate files nd then make a single short file hyperlinks
      or clips that would open up the individual files like this:

      Title: A very complicated work

      I. Prologue [D:\Projects\Complicated Work\Prologue.txt]

      II. Beginning [D:\Projects\Complicated Work\Beginning.txt]

      III. Middle [D:\Projects\Complicated Work\Middle.txt]

      IV. End [D:\Projects\Complicated Work\End.txt]

      V. Epilogue [D:\Projects\Complicated Work\Epilogue.txt]

      You could keep the outline in NTP's Second Window, and see the files
      display in the other window. Of course you could have sub-headings, and
      sub-sub-headings ad nauseum.

      So, I've got a question:

      My example uses hyperlinks. But could you also use clips, in which the
      name of the clip is displayed, but the file path is hidden? If so,
      where can I learn how to do that?
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30 3:40 PM
        Clueless,

        You might want to read the README.OTL file in your NoteTab directory.

        The work for something like you want has already been done and you can
        start using it immediately.

        It is the outlines feature of NoteTab Pro.

        You can open README.OTL in NoteTab with the OPEN command or associate it in
        the OPTIONS.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 30 4:06 PM
          Hi Clueless in Seattle,

          >Title: A very complicated work
          >
          >I. Prologue [D:\Projects\Complicated Work\Prologue.txt]
          >
          >II. Beginning [D:\Projects\Complicated Work\Beginning.txt]
          >
          >III. Middle [D:\Projects\Complicated Work\Middle.txt]
          >
          >IV. End [D:\Projects\Complicated Work\End.txt]
          >
          >V. Epilogue [D:\Projects\Complicated Work\Epilogue.txt]
          >
          >My example uses hyperlinks. But could you also use clips, in
          >which the name of the clip is displayed, but the file path is
          >hidden? If so, where can I learn how to do that?

          In lesson two of ClipClass. You might need to start at the top
          of lesson two, and may even need to do lesson one first. Here is
          a snip from lesson two:

          We now will add the "^=" code to it so that it will actually
          print what follows it and not what the user clicks on. We will
          add the double "==" this time right after the caption field,
          "Times of day" to force the user to make an entry.

          <----------- Copy below ----------->
          H=Using ^=
          ^?[Times of day==Morning^=Guten Morgen,|Noon^=Top of the Day,|_Afternoon^=Nap Time!|Evening|Night^=nite...]
          <----------- Copy above ----------->

          Notice above that you do not have to keep the menu list all the
          same, "Evening" does not use the "^=" code.

          The data in the wizard is not restricted to only being inserted
          in the document. It can be stored in a variable (as we will see
          in later lessons), to execute commands, or even launch programs
          with to name a few.

          This next illustration is not one that you would probably build
          because of the unlikeness of the items listed, but will serve our
          purposes.

          Happy Script'n!
          Jody Adair

          ClipClass Outline & Library: Extract to NoteTab\Libraries
          http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/clipclass.zip

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
          mailto:Ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          The NoteTabbers Assistant Page