Clip Class Student - Question #1

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2001
      Let me start by saying.......I realize this is the wrong group and should
      this be a favorable response, I shall continue and I will then post my
      concerns in the Clip Class group but I just want all of you to understand
      where I am at with all of this....

      Clip Class
      1LA Lesson One (and I quote)

      The Parts of a Clip
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

      1. Text to paste
      2. Command(s)
      3. Function(s)
      4. Special code
      5. Empty

      Examples:

      1. Any text that is not part of NoteTab's programming language.
      2. All lines starting with ^! such as ^!Goto, ^!Toolbar.
      3. All text wrapped in ^$$ such as ^$GetText$, ^$GetSelection$.
      4. Code that does not fit under the above. ;)
      Tokens: ^p, ^t, ^b.
      Preset Variables: ^%nl%, ^%Tab%, ^%Space%, ^%Caret%, and others.
      Miscellaneous: ^?[], ^?{}, =, ==, _, ^=, |, ;, :, "
      5. Clips that are made, but do not have anything in them.

      To this I say... HUH?

      Tokens? Preset Variables, Miscellaneous WHAT? Get WHAT text, get WHAT
      selection, don't you GET IT? I do NOT GET IT? What do i want to get, what
      text am I wrapping, text in a document or the text in that clip.

      I am hopeless...

      Jody, I am sure this is excellent for someone who has an ounce of a clue but
      it ain't me.....

      All I'm saying is this is not basic, this is written, as the introduction to
      the ClipClass newsgroup said, with the understanding that you have a basic
      concept of what in the world is going on.

      I keep telling you and you are not hearing me that I do not have a basic
      concept and to read the class, I am stumbled at the very beginning step
      because I do not even understand this.. I can create clips til I am blue in
      the face, that's simple even for me but what to put in them and why and what
      it takes to get something to do what you want if you know what it is capable
      of doing and what you actually want to ask it to do is where I am at.

      I am pre-Clip Class 101.

      I need more TLC than is available in this group and I know it. I see my
      shortcomings and I accept them, so telling me once again to read the clip
      class you have so artfully put together and I appreciate the work, trust me,
      I know what its all about from a different perspective.

      Your Clip Class is not basic enough for me.

      I aspire to learn enough to begin the class and then be able to teach others
      to be able to grasp the concept so they too have a clue...whether it be a he
      clue or a she clue (grin, Clueless.. wink wink.. I know you get it hehehe)

      So in frustration once again, I go back to my corner...I hope I don't revert
      back to sucking my thumb when this is all over, I'm about to grab the Dunce
      Cap and wear it with pride.

      If you too, do not understand or have a concept of this falderal, please
      speak up, I don't mind standing here alone and speaking my mind (what little
      is left after all of this) but maybe if enough of us are brave enough to say
      WAIT... WHAT IS GOING ON.. maybe then I might begin to be understood.

      Jody, I respect you and this is not a slam at you, to you, or for you, its
      just that you are talking at a level that I have no concept on how to climb
      up to, that's all.

      Laurie
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23, 2001
        Hi LaurieK,

        > The Parts of a Clip
        > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        >
        >1. Text to paste
        >2. Command(s)
        >3. Function(s)
        >4. Special code
        >5. Empty
        >
        >Examples:
        >
        >1. Any text that is not part of NoteTab's programming language.
        >2. All lines starting with ^! such as ^!Goto, ^!Toolbar.
        >3. All text wrapped in ^$$ such as ^$GetText$, ^$GetSelection$.
        >4. Code that does not fit under the above. ;)
        > Tokens: ^p, ^t, ^b.
        > Preset Variables: ^%nl%, ^%Tab%, ^%Space%, ^%Caret%, and others.
        > Miscellaneous: ^?[], ^?{}, =, ==, _, ^=, |, ;, :, "
        >5. Clips that are made, but do not have anything in them.
        >
        >To this I say... HUH?

        No need to say that. It is just some code that will come in
        time, a lot of it is explained later in the lesson (1). All you
        really need to know is any of the code above can be in Clips.

        >Tokens? Preset Variables, Miscellaneous WHAT? Get WHAT text,
        >get WHAT selection, don't you GET IT? I do NOT GET IT? What do
        >i want to get, what text am I wrapping, text in a document or the
        >text in that clip.

        You are trying to know what they are and that is not the point;
        perhaps I will add a note about that - actually, I just did
        change it. Before the 4-5 lesson you will know the answers to
        your questions inside and out. You will get sick of me stressing
        certain points. I do not know how your schools are over there,
        but most the classes I had I was completely lost for the first
        1/3 of the class and some it did not click till halfway.

        >I am hopeless...

        Not so, only if you want to be. You are trying to learn
        everything; dot'n the i's and cross the t's. In the Intro,
        getting started, and lesson one/two there are some things like
        above that you just need to take my word for now. It will come.
        The point of it was simply to familiarize you with it. You will
        see the most of the code above used in lesson 1/2. Maybe you are
        trying to hard. I think most people make it harder than it is. I
        know I did when v4 came out.

        >Jody, I am sure this is excellent for someone who has an ounce of
        >a clue but it ain't me.....

        Yes, it is. Trust me.

        >All I'm saying is this is not basic, this is written, as the
        >introduction to the ClipClass newsgroup said, with the
        >understanding that you have a basic concept of what in the world
        >is going on.

        That was taken out in the latest update. When the class first
        started, it was necessary to have a basic understanding. I just
        made it say to read the sections in Help and left it at that.

        >I keep telling you and you are not hearing me that I do not have
        >a basic concept and to read the class, I am stumbled at the very
        >beginning step because I do not even understand this.

        I am hearing you. You *will* understand. I promise, your time
        will not be wasted and things will start clicking after lesson
        one, perhaps 2-3. You *will* reach the light at the end of the
        tunnel. You *will* look back and wonder why you made such a big
        deal over the tiny ant hill.

        >I can create clips til I am blue in the face, that's simple even
        >for me but what to put in them and why and what it takes to get
        >something to do what you want if you know what it is capable of
        >doing and what you actually want to ask it to do is where I am at.

        You are not to the point yet to start building Clips. First,
        like most things, a foundation must be built. The more solid the
        foundation, the stronger the areas become. At the end of the
        lesson there are a couple, or at least one practical exercise to
        do. There are more exercises at the end of the lessons. After
        awhile an idea will come to you that you want to build a Clip
        for. You will know how to build it then, or at least a lot of it
        and ask questions for what you cannot figure out. The classes
        and schools I have gone through tried to teach me more about how
        to think than they did saying memorize this or that. I hope that
        the course will leave you thinking on things you do not know and
        applying what you do know so that you will be able to take a
        given task and build a script for it with good code using the
        appropriate commands and functions (that are explained later -;)

        >I am pre-Clip Class 101.

        Yes, I agree. ;)

        >I need more TLC than is available in this group and I know it.

        Ask the questions on the CC list and I will be happy to answer
        them. You'll see that after a little bit that you won't have to
        be asking them unless you just need me clarify something.

        >WHAT IS GOING ON.. maybe then I might begin to be understood.

        I do understand you. I know exactly where you are at. I too was
        there and so were a number of other people at one time. I hope
        you understand that there are certain things in the course that
        you do not have to memorize like you would be tested on it. I
        doubt very much you remember all the math formulas from school,
        but you learned enough to know where to look when you needed it
        and familiar enough to understand it at least with a bit of help.

        http://www.notetab.net

        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2001
          Hi Laurie, everyone,

          >All I'm saying is this is not basic, this is written, as the introduction to
          >the ClipClass newsgroup said, with the understanding that you have a basic
          >concept of what in the world is going on.

          Could "basic concept" refer to: 1. Before Jody moved his www site to its
          current web location, using graphics, he had a visual which showed things
          like clipbook editor, librarys, clipbar, etc. ie the parts/components of
          NoteTab that we use when we write, and/or execute our clips.

          Also, there was another person who had, using graphics, a www page(s) in
          like manner to above.

          Both of the above visual learning aids were very good and very impressive
          to me. Both of their learning, however, was limited to familiarization
          with those component pieces of NoteTab, some of which I listed above.

          Unfortunately I hadn't kept track of where to access either of the two
          mentioned visuals, so I cannot refer you via URL or etc.
          --------------------

          http://www.notetab.com/libraries.htm

          As another potential learning resource check out the above url and look for

          Introduction - NoteTab Clip Programming
          Excellent guide written by Kay Roath
          ------------------

          To learn, like several books, each by a different author, > each book can
          oftentimes *compliment each other.
          ---------------

          I completed Jody's clipclass from beginning to end. My experience was that
          I felt overwhelmed a lot of the time, but I kept on plowing through it
          anyway. Oftentimes the plow would not go deep enough on the first
          pass. So then I would repeat a particular lesson as many times as
          necessary and usually I could eventually the plow would then be deeper (I'm
          significantly closer to where understanding and me are no longer unfamiliar
          with each other). It was only after some time and effort had passed that
          light bulbs began turning on for me.

          If you only know one language and your native language is English then, as
          a beginner, how long would it take you to learn a foreign language? Or,
          vice versus where the English would be the foreign language yet to be learned.

          You now begin to learn a language. It is a language that a machine, the
          computer, recognizes. Yes, computer recognizes, but foreign to you until
          familiarization should begin to happen. Familiarization happened to me in
          little bits and pieces, a little at a time through my repeated efforts.

          To share *my learning modalities: I need all ie visual, audio,
          kinesthetic. But my *primary learning modality is kinesthetic or hands on
          type of learning. I am *very mechanical aptitude.

          (Later, after I first had learned just a little bit) In reference to the
          (clip) language, a machine (computer) utilizes logic. Only logic, nothing
          but logic. It helped me to try to ask myself: What would a machine need in
          order to accomplish my desired task (through the writing and execution of a
          clip).

          >I'm about to grab the Dunce
          >Cap and wear it with pride.

          I sometimes have so much fun doing just exactly that myself. The steering
          committee reported to me that because I dared to go forth and at least try
          it with my best shot that, though temporarily dunce, I may have learned
          that at least I need to somehow try it in just a little different way the
          next time. A saying goes something like "hindsight is 20/20 vision" if I
          only knew then what I know now. Experience happens one day at a time.

          H="Good Bye Clip"
          ^!Info [L]Good Bye!!^%NL%^%NL%Have fun!!
          ; -----<end of clip<<
          ; -----
          ; Alan C.
        • Len
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 27, 2001
            Hi LaurieK, et al;

            All specialized fields develope their own terminology to describe
            the aspects of that particular field, plumbers, carpenters, electricians,
            doctors, lawyers, paleontologists, programing, electronics, etc.
            Most people that have worked extensively in a field find it difficult
            to discuss that field without using the applicable specialized terminology.
            In my opinion, being able to describe ideas that are new to the listener is
            the defining quality of a good teacher. Carl Sagen is an excellent example.

            Here are some simple clips. Sorry if this is too elementary.
            Open NoteTab. Open the clip book. Right click in the Library window
            (small window just below the Tab Bar). Click New. Name your library.
            Right click in the library window and select Open as document. At the last
            CRLF Paste the following clips into the yourname.clb document.
            Set WordWrap OFF. Remove any incorrect CRLFs. All lines should start with
            either H=, ^!, ;, "tab"This text..., at the...,
            Study the clips for syntax and method. Save and Close the name.clb doc.
            Open a new document, run the clips.
            Experiment, Len

            H="Open some application"
            ^!Continue Insert your path and application before using.
            ^!"C:\your\path\to\some.exe"

            H="Open WordPad"
            ^!"C:\Program Files\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE"

            H="Open a document in NoteTab"
            ^!Continue Insert your path and document before using.
            ^!Open "C:\your\path\to\document.exe"

            H="Open a new doc"
            ^!Keyboard Ctrl+N
            ^!Keyboard Alt+F N
            ^!Toolbar New Document

            H="Insert this text"
            This text is some text I want to insert
            at the location of the cursor.

            H="Insert text again"
            ^!InsertText ^TThis text is some text I want to insert^Pat the location of the cursor.^P
            ;note the ^T and ^P tokens

            H="Insert text thrice"
            ^!InsertText ^%Tab%This text is some text I want to insert^%NL%at the location of the cursor.^%NL%
            ;note the ^%Tab% and ^%NL% predefined variables.

            H="Set a variable"
            ^!Set %yourvariablename%="^%Tab%This text is some text I want to insert^%NL%at the location of the cursor.^%NL%"
            ^%yourvariablename%

            H="Select & Copy Text"
            ;Select (highlight) some text
            ^!Keyboard Ctrl+C
            ^!Toolbar Copy
            ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
            ^!Set %anothervariablename%=^$GetSelection$
            ;note the variable and the function
            ^!Paste
            ^%anothervariablename%

            H="Demonstrate"
            ;Select (highlight) some text
            ;Wait for action. Time delays may need adjusting
            ^!Continue If no text is selected, click CANCEL and select some text. Wait for action. Time delays may need adjusting

            ;Use one of the following 3 commands by removing the ;
            ;^!Keyboard Ctrl+C
            ;^!Toolbar Copy
            ;^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$
            ^!Set %thistext%="^%NL%^%Tab%This text is some text I want to insert^%NL%at the location of the cursor.^%NL%"
            ^!"C:\Program Files\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE"
            ^!Delay 30
            ^!Keyboard Alt+F N
            ^!Delay 10
            ^!Keyboard Enter