Re: [Clip] perl syntax check, once more

  • birgit.kellner@aon.at
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 7, 2001
      --- In ntb-clips@y..., "Jason Waugh" <jwaugh26@h...> wrote:
      > You can get the latest Perl Development Environment clip library at
      this link:

      > ftp://apsyrtes.dns2go.com/perlde.zip

      Yes, I was actually using that library, but for some reason the
      syntax check wouldn't work. Running a script doesn't work either -
      the shell tells me that the syntax of the file name, the directory
      name etc. is wrong. I suspect that this is to do with a wrong perl
      path I typed the first time I used the library - any way to change
      that?

      By the way, one thing I changed in the library was the behaviour of
      auto-completion of "else". My "else" loops never make use of
      parentheses, so I deleted those and shifted the cursor positioning to
      in between the braces.

      Best regards,

      Birgit Kellner
    • wheeler54321@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 7, 2001
        Hi Birgit!

        If you are using Windows NT/2000-

        ^!Chdir does not work with Windows NT/2000 when using Perl
        (ActivePerl). You can either pass the path to Perl using "^!
        TextToFile ..." and use "chdir $path;" in Perl itself...or something
        like that...

        wheeler

        > Yes, I was actually using that library, but for some reason the
        > syntax check wouldn't work. Running a script doesn't work either -
        > the shell tells me that the syntax of the file name, the directory
        > name etc. is wrong. I suspect that this is to do with a wrong perl
        > path I typed the first time I used the library - any way to change
        > that?
      • Jason Waugh
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 7, 2001
          Of course Chdir works with 2000... I use 2000!

          Alan C. had it correct, it has to do with the spaces in folder names. I keep all my scripts and my perl installation in directories w/out spaces in the names, so didn't notice - however, if I try and run a script from a directory with a space (like PROGRAM FILES\whatever) it bombs.... Alan was correct with the GetShort.

          As for not using braces with else statements.... all I can say is Birgit, tsk tsk. I think braces and brackets should ALWAYS be used for anything... even one liners should be properly formatted... just so to make it super readable for those who come behind you. Of course, this is a matter of personal style... I wouldn't expect those autocomplete clips to be perfect for anybody but myself. ;)