Re: [Clip] Re: Launching Timer Events from clipbars

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2001
      Hi John,

      Some things do not work from the Clipbar. Could you send your
      Clip to the list please. If you are trying to use OnOpen from
      the Library, it does not work if I remember correctly, but there
      is an OnOpen event for the Clipbar. The following is from a beta
      post made by Eric.

      * Clipbar now supports the OnOpen/OnClose events. Just drag an
      OnOpen or OnClose Clip to it. The OnOpen event is triggered when
      a Clipbar is first opened and when switching to another library.
      The OnClose event is triggered when switching to another library
      or starting a new one, and when closing NoteTab. The triggering
      of these events can be canceled by holding down the Shift key.

      Off hand, I cannot think of any work arounds if the Timer events
      do not work from the Clipbar.

      >I've since discovered that reversing the
      >^!TimerPlay Alarm Clock
      >^!TimerStart ^%p_AlarmCheckInterval%
      >
      >Lines so they actually play out as:
      >
      >^!TimerStart ^%p_AlarmCheckInterval%
      >^!TimerPlay Alarm Clock
      >
      >That the clip works better, but it still won't work via a clipbar
      >button..
      >
      >Also, in the comment above where the alarm time is entered,
      >the "date" should not be in there.

      http://www.notetab.net

      http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
    • Alan C.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2001
        Hi John,
        (Nothing concrete but just to share the results of my experiments with your
        clip some as follows)

        >A slight addendum here..

        >Lines so they actually play out as:

        >^!TimerStart ^%p_AlarmCheckInterval%
        >^!TimerPlay Alarm Clock

        >That the clip works better, but it still won't work via a clipbar
        >button..

        Just like scenario you portrayed, I tested your clip and it works just fine
        when launched from clipbook.

        Like you, I cannot get it to work when launched from the clipbar.

        I even tried adding a 3rd clip, a pre or parent clip be launched from
        clipbar with content so as to call the timer event clip:

        ^!Clip "Timer Events"

        But, still a no go from the clipbar.

        Thanks for what to me constitutes a timerstart timerplay demo clip (I
        hadn't looked in help, needed a demo and now I'm less unfamiliar with such).

        I had wondered if, similar to "3rd clip" above but instead of calling
        another clip, instead to get a value from an ini

        But, untried by me, probably no advantage to that either.

        Appears that issue has to do with difference of manually launching clip
        (from clipbook) versus as Jody said clipbar items are loaded into memory
        and the method of launch differs, even if only slightly so.

        (could not be a feasible option for you may still have currently existing
        same issue) I not tried it, but: I thought of: Ntab supports command line
        parameters, might support launch of 2nd instance of Ntab with a particular
        clip launched, all that due to the command line options

        Ntab's help contents > reference information > other features >
        command-line parameters

        Alan.
      • JohnZeman@operamail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
          Thanks Jody and Alan.. I pretty much tried everything you suggested,
          and I did get to one point where the timer clip would run about half
          the time when launched from a clipbar.. But no matter what I tried,
          it never would work every time..

          It was really more of an exercise for me than anything else, and I
          learned a few things along the way.. One thing I learned was that
          clipbars do have some limits.. And apparently timer events are one
          of them..

          Another thing I learned is the timer clip, when running, seems
          to "wait" if a lot of computer activity is going on.. Just for fun,
          when I had that timer running, when it got close to the time it would
          trigger, if I started typing like crazy, the timer would not trigger
          until I had stopped for a few seconds.. I found that rather
          interesting..

          One more thing I learned was when you run a clip from a clipbar that
          has the ^$GetLibraryName$ function in it, that function always
          returns the name of the clip library it's in.. In other words, if I
          have my autocorrect library active, and run a clip in my utilities
          library from a clipbar, and that clip has the $GetLibraryName$
          function in it, it'll return the library name of utilities even
          though my autocorrect library is the active one..

          All in all this was a very enjoyable and worthwhile project for me..

          Thanks again..

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
            Hi John,

            >Thanks Jody and Alan.. I pretty much tried everything you suggested,
            >and I did get to one point where the timer clip would run about half
            >the time when launched from a clipbar.. But no matter what I tried,
            >it never would work every time.

            Remember that the Timer event does not work if a Clip is running
            during the time it is suppose to display the prompt. I'm glad
            you found out some other useful things as well. That is how I do
            most my learning just trying to figure something out and learning
            other things along the way.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
              Ah!! That makes sense Jody, as when I was "testing" the timer by
              typing like a madman (I could brag about being one, but we won't go
              there tonight), that I had my autocorrect library active, which would
              validate what you just said...

              Thanks again!