NoteTab PAD & ^$GetXmlField()$

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2001
      Hi,

      I was studying the pad.clb just a bit. http://www.notetab.com/pad/

      in it, I ran across

      ^!Set ^%FieldName%=^$GetXmlField(^%FieldName%)$

      And I found no documentation anywhere for ^$GetXmlField()$

      Is that a clip language function?
      ---------------------

      Providing the following turn out to be feasible then I would write some of
      my data into xml files.

      I'm wondering if I could create a Ntab outline with hyperlinks > use same
      outline as an index with which to (click) reference each of my xml data
      files > upon (mouse click) of one of the outline's hyperlinks would get a
      value from an ini file which in turn would load a corresponding xml file
      into clip to be formatted on the fly this latter part similar to pad.clb

      Feasible? I haven't sorted out the answer yet due to currently ruminating

      Thanks. Regards. Alan.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2001
        Hi Alan,

        >I was studying the pad.clb just a bit. http://www.notetab.com/pad/
        >
        >in it, I ran across
        >
        >^!Set ^%FieldName%=^$GetXmlField(^%FieldName%)$
        >
        >And I found no documentation anywhere for ^$GetXmlField()$
        >
        >Is that a clip language function?

        It appears Eric did not document. My guess is he added the
        function specifically for the Pad Library for the major download
        sites so that it puts the info into the different site formats.
        I am pretty sure it is the latest and greatest for
        shareware/freeware authors to use as a standard when submitting
        their software.

        >Providing the following turn out to be feasible then I would
        >write some of my data into xml files.
        >
        >I'm wondering if I could create a Ntab outline with hyperlinks >
        >use same outline as an index with which to (click) reference each
        >of my xml data files > upon (mouse click) of one of the outline's
        >hyperlinks would get a value from an ini file which in turn would
        >load a corresponding xml file into clip to be formatted on the
        >fly this latter part similar to pad.clb
        >
        >Feasible? I haven't sorted out the answer yet due to currently
        >ruminating

        I don't see why it cannot be used to get the Outline (or Windows
        Explorer) view. Try using the "Web Page Format."

        http://www.notetab.net

        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Alan C.
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
          Hi,

          Jody thanks for the tip it probably does have to do with the ability to
          format for display in each of the different unique styles pertinent to
          those various major download sites.

          (I not expect for to read all but anyone with enuff interest to do so, I'd
          like hear feedback providing I not on target with any portion herein)

          I discovered something more . . .

          I found something which appears to me to be unique to the pad.clb which is
          that it contains

          *Not a normal, conventional array*

          In the Pad.clb under the Utilities heading, the clip entitled Show Field Value

          ^!Set %FieldName%=^?{(H=15)Field==_^%FieldList%}
          //^!Set %FieldName%=^%FieldNames11%
          //^!Info [L]^%^%FieldName%%
          ^!Info [L]^%FieldName%

          (in the above, I added 2 lines which are not in the original clip) (and, my
          most recent test, I had tested the load a pad file clip and this above clip
          on my own xml file not the pad file of which the latter might be smaller
          thus have a lesser amount of array elements)

          The uniqueness I find is that the 2nd info line above displays the xml
          header/field title or label while, in contrast, the 1st info line above
          displays the *content* that is underneath that same header/field's title

          And, perhaps has to do with ^$GetXmlField()$

          How else, the difference between this array and a normal array?

          That above is like each individual element of the array has 2, not 1
          category(s). From an individual element taken from the array, ability
          exists to view/access either a (top heirarchy) *or* (its next, 2nd level
          down heirarchy)

          So, uniqueness of array in pad.clb is that, from *each individual array
          element*, ability exists to access not 1 item but can access 2 different items.

          In contrast, a normal array only has ability to access 1 item from each of
          its individal element (unless there's something I don't yet know of).

          I remember when pad.clb came out, Eric at that time had written something
          to this list to call attention to something that was special about this clip.

          But my skills were not nearly advanced enough back then and it went WAY
          over my head. I had wanted to grasp but told myself "its back to the
          basics for some time there yet."

          Dunno if I want to do that much work, but I probably could make my own
          template which I see coordinates with a particular type of xml file
          (templates in pad.clb are coordinated to pad file, a particular type of xml
          file).

          Ntab a two step 1. format on the fly, 2. displayer of xml files. What next?

          Alan.
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2001
            Hi Alan,

            I'm sorry for throwing you off base with the ^$GetXmlField()$
            function in my other post to you. Eric did indeed make it for
            the Pad files, but it is a custom function. You can read the
            Help section, "Clip Language - Custom Functions" about them and
            see how Eric used it in "_GetXmlField" which is where the
            function is built and it is called from "_BuildScript" which is
            called by "LoadPadFile".