If TOM can do it, its MY TURN... HELP!!

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3 8:27 PM
      I'm stuck RIGHT AWAY. Now I can read, and I can also follow instructions (Do I admit that I do tech support for a living? Ummm, maybe not...but its not for programming so cut me some slack. I am so embarrassed to ask these questions but HEY, everyone starts somewhere!!)

      So I wen to Tools > Clipbook > New Library and saved the Clip01.clb at ATEST.clb and then closed it.

      Then I opened it, right click on the library blank window and chose to Add New Clip, then named it TEST CLIP and clicked OK. The instructions I have then state that the editor?? will have the words TEST CLIP in it as well as the new title of a clip in the library window? Is this correct? If so... WRONG! The editor window is still blank. But I save the document, open it and then right click to choose to edit the clip.

      I then follow the instructions below:

      Clipbook Window to bring up the Clipbook pop up menu.
      Click on EDIT CLIP

      TWO things will happen immediately:

      1. The (Clips) Document Name Tab will reappear
      2. The Editor will switch to the Clip Editor mode and will display the words "TEST CLIP" which is the Header (name) of the new clip.

      We now have the TEST CLIP open in the Editor with the Editor in the Clipbook Editor Mode.

      TEST CLIP is NOT THERE

      Delete the words "TEST CLIP" and replace them with the following text:

      Where in the world to I delete the words TEST CLIP. I cannot delete them from the Header name because it still wants a name and will not OK without SOMETHING in that foresaken box.... and remember, TEST CLIP does NOT appear in the EDITOR window.

      (When properly entered, each line should display in the color shown to the right of the text that you are to enter)

      Get Current Document's File Name (Black)

      ;Get the Name of the current document and
      ;save it in the Variable called %docfilename% (Grey)

      ^!Set %docfilename%=^$GetDocName$

      ;Print a Prompt to the screen telling
      ;the Name of the Current Document

      ^!prompt Current Document's File Name is:

      ^%docfilename% (Blue)

      So I copy/paste the lines above into the editor and its sposta show in colors just like the picture in the help file and oh yeah, the name of the clip should change to Get Current Document. This is where I've lost it.

      ITS NOT WORKING... what am *I* doing wrong or what is wrong with the instructions.

      I finally sit down, no distractions, hubby went to bed early, oldest daughter our with friends and youngest just said NIGHT. and I DOESN'T WORK!

      I could "almost" cry but not really. Someone PLEASE help me here. I know everyone is very helpful.. .Lotta and Jim have been holding my hand a bit. Is anyone out there? Its not even 10:30 yet, I have HOURS before I'll be ready to give up.

      ::SIGH:: checking mail repeatedly!!

      Laurie

    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3 9:56 PM
        Laurie,

        At 10:27 PM 8/3/01 -0500, you wrote:
        >I'm stuck RIGHT AWAY. Now I can read, and I can also follow instructions
        >(Do I admit that I do tech support for a living? Ummm, maybe not...but
        >its not for programming so cut me some slack. I am so embarrassed to ask
        >these questions but HEY, everyone starts somewhere!!)
        >
        >So I wen to Tools > Clipbook > New Library and saved the Clip01.clb at
        >ATEST.clb and then closed it.
        >
        >Then I opened it, right click on the library blank window and chose to Add
        >New Clip, then named it TEST CLIP and clicked OK. The instructions I
        >have then state that the editor?? will have the words TEST CLIP in it as
        >well as the new title of a clip in the library window? Is this
        >correct? If so... WRONG! The editor window is still blank. But I save
        >the document, open it and then right click to choose to edit the clip.
        >
        >I then follow the instructions below:
        >
        >Clipbook Window to bring up the Clipbook pop up menu.
        >Click on EDIT CLIP
        >
        >TWO things will happen immediately:
        >
        >1. The (Clips) Document Name Tab will reappear
        >2. The Editor will switch to the Clip Editor mode and will display the
        >words "TEST CLIP" which is the Header (name) of the new clip.
        >
        >We now have the TEST CLIP open in the Editor with the Editor in the
        >Clipbook Editor Mode.
        >
        >TEST CLIP is NOT THERE

        You just missed a tiny little step that throws a monkey wrench in the works
        when it isn't right.

        Now place the cursor in the blank area of the Clipbook window and right
        click to bring up the Clipbook pop up menu. Near the bottom of the window
        is an entry that says "Show Headers". If this option is selected it will
        show a check mark in front of the words "Show Headers". If it does not show
        a check mark, left click on the words "Show Headers".

        At this time the pop up menu will disappear. Opening the pop up menu again
        will allow you to verify that the check mark is now present.

        Left clicking on any area outside of the pop up menu box will close it.

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3 10:50 PM
          Hi LaurieK,

          If you followed Jim's advice to select 'Show Headers' the words
          TEST CLIP should appear at the top of the editor window.
          Regardless of whether the clip name shows you can still build a
          clip with the info in your email, with a couple of slight
          changes.

          The email may have changed the formatting of your text, if not
          the last 2 lines lines need editing.

          This is how the clip should appear in the editor window if you
          checked 'Show Headers' ;

          TEST CLIP
          ;Get the Name of the current document and
          ;save it in the Variable called %docfilename% (Gray)

          ^!Set %docfilename%=^$GetDocName$

          ;Print a Prompt to the screen telling
          ;the Name of the Current Document

          ^!prompt Current Document's File Name is: ^%docfilename%
          ; (BLUE)

          The word (BLUE) should be on another line or it will show as part
          of the filename, and anything other than a label, function or
          command should be commented out with a semi-colon as is the word
          blue.

          hrs

          -----------------------------------

          ------------------------------------

          > ::SIGH:: checking mail repeatedly!!
          >
          > Laurie

        • LaurieK
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3 11:08 PM
            you are a genious

            Show headers is what was needed... BUT... when I copy paste the script as it
            were, into the editor and save it, it now changes the clip name, so WOO HOO
            but... when I execute it, it shows a small windows that says

            The Document Name Is:

            OK

            THen I click OK and it shows the name of the current document and next to it
            is (blue) so what I am doing wrong that the world blue is showing? And why
            is the word blue there?
          • thefrank
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4 12:14 AM
              > why is the word blue there?

              if there can be an artist formerly known as Prince

              why can't there be a document formerly known as (blue).....

              <vbg> tf

              p.s. try - http://99secrets.com
              true web content circa 1996