LaurieK - Curiosity regarding PHP script

  • casullian_454@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2001
      --- In ntb-clips@y..., "LaurieK" <ladyck3@e...> wrote:
      > So this is server side, I assume like *.asp it means that if I do
      not have a
      > server to work from I cannot test or work with this? I do my
      > dabbling/learning from home on my local PC, not much chance of
      having server
      > extensions here :(
      >
      > I'm correct in assuming PHP would be like working with anything
      else that
      > requires a server with extensions, correct?

      LaurieK,

      Apache server is really easy to set up on your local machine. You can
      then install Perl, MySQL and PHP. This would allow you to have all
      kinds of fun on your local machine.

      The book PHP - Fast & Easy Web Development comes with a CD that
      includes Apache, PHP and MySQL. Also has instructions for installing
      all either on Linux or Windows OS. Really slick stuff. I tried
      learning Perl and got really frustrated. PHP and MySQL is much easier
      and as theFrank said - VERY FAST.

      Check out the book here. It is a reall good beginners book on PHP.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/076153055X/qid=996641703/sr=2-
      1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/103-5024006-7618249

      Enjoy
      Mark