Curiosity regarding PHP script

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2001
      So this is server side, I assume like *.asp it means that if I do not have a
      server to work from I cannot test or work with this? I do my
      dabbling/learning from home on my local PC, not much chance of having server
      extensions here :(

      I'm correct in assuming PHP would be like working with anything else that
      requires a server with extensions, correct?

      (I hope I'm not too far outta my league here)
      (Do my questions on this belong in another group?) Well YOU opened this can
      of my worms! :) :) <these are things I see and have no one to ask, now
      you mention them, who better to ask>

      Also I LOVE NTP! I just found a NEW (to me) feature that just makes my
      life a living HEAVEN. The click of a button does something that I spent
      all of my free time on yesterday and when I was done, deleted the 'old'
      files which also, for some reason deleted all of the "new" files too so I
      had NOTHING. NTP says, here, click this button and make all those nasty
      txt files into html files so you can just plop them into your website and
      not have to reformat all the line returns 'n such.

      FOOKES SOFTWARE and all Involved... I LOVE YOUUUUUUUU!!!
      (Another newsgroup, I know... talking to the corner pouting.. bad girl)
      I'm SO EXCITED! :)
      <smile, although we are techies, we can still have fun> :)

      Laurie

      PS: Thanks for all the links and info on PHP, now I have MORE research to
      do!!
    • casullian_454@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2001
        --- In ntb-clips@y..., "LaurieK" <ladyck3@e...> wrote:
        > So this is server side, I assume like *.asp it means that if I do
        not have a
        > server to work from I cannot test or work with this? I do my
        > dabbling/learning from home on my local PC, not much chance of
        having server
        > extensions here :(
        >
        > I'm correct in assuming PHP would be like working with anything
        else that
        > requires a server with extensions, correct?

        LaurieK,

        Apache server is really easy to set up on your local machine. You can
        then install Perl, MySQL and PHP. This would allow you to have all
        kinds of fun on your local machine.

        The book PHP - Fast & Easy Web Development comes with a CD that
        includes Apache, PHP and MySQL. Also has instructions for installing
        all either on Linux or Windows OS. Really slick stuff. I tried
        learning Perl and got really frustrated. PHP and MySQL is much easier
        and as theFrank said - VERY FAST.

        Check out the book here. It is a reall good beginners book on PHP.
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/076153055X/qid=996641703/sr=2-
        1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/103-5024006-7618249

        Enjoy
        Mark