[Clip] ProgIniLoad

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 1999
      Hi All,

      I cannot get ProgIniLoad to change my Toolbar. I though we could
      do this. The ini file that I am trying to load shows the
      configuration that I did ProgIniSave with, but only the other
      options change, nit the Toolbar. Are we allowed to? Is is broke
      for you and I?

      Goodnight!-)

      Happy NoteTabbin',
      Jody Adair

      The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
      NoteTab Home Page - Go Pro.....
      http://www.notetab.com

    • Jamal Mazrui
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2005
        The problem with copying a newly created NotePro.ini file is that I only want to over-ride some of the configuration settings in memory. In other words, I want some settings in memory to remain at their current values, whatever they are.

        Jamal

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2005
          Jamal Mazrui wrote:
          > The problem with copying a newly created NotePro.ini file is that I
          only want to over-ride some of the configuration settings in memory. In
          other words, I want some settings in memory to remain at their current
          values, whatever they are.

          > Jamal

          I understand fully, but, you inquired about the 'minimal requirements'
          of NotePro and that is the quickest way I could think of to discern
          that. Anything in the new inifile would be a minimal requirement.

          I wouldn't recommend it as a final solution, I've put too much work into
          my inifile also. When you determine the 'minimals', you can then edit
          the ini and save it using a leading ! in the name.

          ºvº
          05.10.12
          hrs > hsavage@...
        • Jamal Mazrui
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 12, 2005
            Thanks for your suggestions.

            It is not self-evident to me that a newly-created NotePro.ini file contains the minimal settings required for such a file--perhaps it contains more than is necessary. In reviewing its content, I found that the file apparently contains values for all possible settings. These are the default values of a NoteTab installation. Other sections such as find string history, recent file history, etc., start with a count of zero keys, understandably.

            Such a .ini file probably does contain the minimal requirements for a complete set of configuration settings in memory. Theoritically, however, it could be possible for settings in a .ini file to be a subset of configuration settings. In that case, the pre-existing values in memory would remain whenever a corresponding setting was not found in the .ini file being loaded.

            Perhaps you are saying that a .ini file must contain a value for every possible setting in memory: otherwise, it is invalid. The documentation does not make this clear, however, and that is not the way that .ini files normally work. In other programming languages, a function that retrieves a value from a .ini file has an alternate value if that setting is not found in the .ini file. In this case, the alternate value would be the current value in memory--if NoteTab works similarly.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2005
              Jamal,

              My experience has been, that NotePro.ini will always have all setting
              in it.

              When I need specific different settings, I create a new INI file with
              a different name, so I can start NotPro with those settings instead,
              without losing my main setup (in NotePro.ini).

              To create such a file, I simply load the ini file as a document, and
              SAV AS a different name. THEN I load Notetab with that new INI file,
              change the settings, and close notetab again.

              Result two (or more) different ini files, preset for special
              configurations.

              Stuff that you migh have different are:

              Which default library loads on start up,
              Toolbar may have different tools,
              pop-up menu may have different menus,
              Where to save documents,
              etc.