Re: [Clip] Adding the time

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 8, 2001
      I was fiddling with this ...

      making some headway (in my own inefficient manner)

      cannot get the following line to work ...

      ^!IfTrue ^$IsBlank(^%CurrentLineLeft%)$ NextLine

      where CurrentLineLeft contains the left 6 characters of the line being read

      I have a prompt above so I know that the correct data is in the
      CurrentLineLeft variable, but for a blank line it should be empty (and the
      prompt seems to imply same because it just says click to continue)

      What I want it to do is if the line being looked at is blank, then skip to
      next line (I have a :NextLine part in the clip, but it isn't skipping
      forward). I have tried with and without the ^ and with and without quotes
      etc.

      Hopefully RS won't be offended if you try to answer the question for me.
      *grin*

      ---
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      personal: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
      work: http://www.grcourt.org
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 8, 2001
        Hi Don,

        >[I] cannot get the following line to work ...
        >
        >^!IfTrue ^$IsBlank(^%CurrentLineLeft%)$ NextLine
        >
        >where CurrentLineLeft contains the left 6 characters of the line
        >being read
        >
        >I have a prompt above so I know that the correct data is in the
        >CurrentLineLeft variable, but for a blank line it should be empty
        >(and the prompt seems to imply same because it just says click to
        >continue)

        ^$IsBlank("Str")$ (added in v4.8)
        Returns 1 if Str contains only blank characters (tabs, spacebar,
        line breaks, etc.), and 0 if it does not.

        Perhaps what you want is ^$IsEmpty(^%CurrentLineLeft%)$

        >Hopefully RS won't be offended if you try to answer the question
        >for me. *grin*

        Nah, he use to be quite active writing Clips and at time we would
        get a few people in on one Clips refining it and adding better
        ways and came up with a nice finished product. I have a need to
        write them for others when I have the time for a couple reasons.

        Nite... (Oh, thanks for the attachment you sent Don, I'll play
        with it tomorrow, well, today, but when I get up.!-)

        http://www.notetab.net

        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 9, 2001
          This works when I test it (assuming all lines in the file follow one of four
          formats, Alphabetic Day/Time with colon/channel without colon/blank line):

          ****clip and copy below this line*****

          ^!Select ALL

          :FormatSelection
          ;load an array with the lines of the file
          ^!Select PARAGRAPHS
          ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
          ^!SetArray %Items%=^$GetSelection$
          ^!Set %TotalLineNumber%=^%Items0%
          ;initialize line counter
          ^!Set %LineNumber%=1

          :SkipBlankLine
          ;check to see if I have a blank line and advance if yes
          ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%Items^%LineNumber%%)$ NextLine

          :StartLineProcess
          ^!Set %CurrentLineLeft%=^$StrCopy(^%Items^%LineNumber%%;0;6)$

          ;if is a day (sunday/monday/tuesday, etc. skip to next)
          ^!IfTrue ^$IsAlpha(^%CurrentLineLeft%)$ NextLine
          ^!SetCursor ^%LineNumber%:1
          ^!SetDelimiter
          ^!Set %Pos%=^$GetPosInField(^%LineNumber%;1;T;":")$
          ^!Prompt ^%Pos%***^%CurrentLineLeft%
          ;If the value stored in Pos is greater than 0 (we have a match), jump to the
          ^!If ^%Pos% > 0 SetTime ELSE AddTime

          :AddTime
          ;add time to lines where it is missing
          ^!SetCursor ^%LineNumber%:1
          ^!Select LINE
          ^!Replace ^%Items^%LineNumber%% ^%Time%^%Items^%LineNumber%% H
          ^!Goto NextLine

          :SetTime
          ;set time to current line so if next is missing adds this
          ^!Set %Time%=^$StrCopy(^%Items^%LineNumber%%;0;^$Calc(^%Pos%+5;0)$)$
          ^!Goto NextLine

          :NextLine
          ;advances to the next line
          ^!Inc %LineNumber%
          ^!If ^%LineNumber% < ^%TotalLineNumber% SkipBlankLine
          ^!Goto End

          *********clip and copy above this line **********

          So, why do we do it for someone else:
          1. it challenges us and keeps us thinking
          2. from the exercise we ourselves learn
          3. we all need a clip now and again when we are too jammed to get it done
          ... and what goes around comes around
          4. for someone who needs a clip in a blue moon, it isn't practical to write
          from scratch when others have something similiar easily modifiable (this
          clip is a combination of three clips in the standard libraries .... a
          valueless prize to the person who can tell me which three ... off the list
          of course so we don't bog down *grin* assuming I remember by tomorrow ... or
          as Jody said, when I wake up today!)
          5. Because RS said nobody should and I felt like an outlaw doing it

          And as usual, thanks to Jody for the tip that unlocked this thing for me.
          What great software, enhanced by great people!

          I cannot wait to see if anybody makes this thing more efficient! Now that
          is where the learning kicks in for me. I dare you...

          ---

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 9, 2001
            I guess I thought the only implied it could have from zero content to a line
            break ...
            I guess it requires a line break or other such character.
            IsEmpty does the trick.

            > ^$IsBlank("Str")$ (added in v4.8)
            > Returns 1 if Str contains only blank characters (tabs, spacebar,
            > line breaks, etc.), and 0 if it does not.
            >
            > Perhaps what you want is ^$IsEmpty(^%CurrentLineLeft%)$
          • RS
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 9, 2001
              Hello Don,

              At 04:34 AM 7/9/01 -0400, you wrote:

              >5. Because RS said nobody should and I felt like an outlaw doing it

              I'm sorry, but I'll have to throw a bucket of cold water on you and have
              you wake up from your dreams of mythical rebellion and being a bandit. :)

              You are assuming I said what I didn't. What I said was:

              > I DO NOT THINK that other people on
              > the list should [make clips by request]

              I believe there is a difference between a personal opinion voiced as "I DO
              NOT THINK THAT ..." and the self-righteous admonition that you erroneously
              perceived.

              If a given person SHOULD or SHOULD NOT, it is up to him or her. So, as you
              can see, you are not being a outlaw after all ...

              Besides, what control can I possibly have over you that you can rebel
              against? Or what power to dictate a law, for that matter?

              And I also added:

              > though some do it [make clips by
              > request], so you might be lucky ...

              Once again, far from being a rebel, you are just confirming my prediction.

              Best regards,

              Ramon Silvera
            • Alan C.
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 10, 2001
                Hi Don, everyone,

                Don, on my system, for some reason, your replace line wouldn't work.
                --------------------
                ^!If ^%Pos% > 0 SetTime ELSE AddTime

                :AddTime
                ; ^!Info addtime
                ; add time to lines where it is missing
                ^!SetCursor ^%LineNumber%:1
                ^!InsertText ^%Time%
                ; ^!Select LINE
                ; ^!Replace ^%Items^%LineNumber%% ^%Time%^%Items^%LineNumber%% H
                ^!Goto NextLine

                :SetTime
                -------------------
                So (as above) I commented it and another (total of 2) of your lines. The inserttext worked for me.

                On a small file the clip did great.

                Also on a large file the array could it get rather large. I'm unsure if that be a noteworthy factor or not. If that be a concern then Daniel could comment out the two select lines near the very top of the clip and then would just select part of the file manually prior to running the clip.

                As far as efficiency, less code: It was more efficient for me to play with yours rather than umpteen hours on my part for me to start from scratch.

                Regards. Alan.
              • Don Passenger
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 10, 2001
                  Thanks Alan for playing with that. Interesting that the replace didn't
                  work. For me it worked fine. I am on Win95 with NT 4.85.
                  Your method is obviously more efficient in any regard. It was what I
                  originally wanted to do, but I couldn't find the correct clip function.

                  I used to have kclip but lost it in a recent computer meltdown. I find
                  navigation of the help menu to be cumbersome ... so sometimes I find what I
                  want and other times I cheat like I did there.

                  I would like to learn a bit more about the array implications and the value
                  they may bring to the project -- or detriment.

                  For the clip I started with (ul clip) it originally had a select loop at top
                  and I eventually removed it in favor of select all (got tired of selecting
                  every time I tested). So going back to that would cure the problem I
                  suppose if it overwhelmed the system. I think many of Jody's clips also
                  start with something like displayOff which might add some efficiency.

                  The interesting thing is I don't think I even need the array as I could just
                  go one line at a time, retaining info from prior line in case I need it.
                  The reason I built the array was so I could in "fast" memory search the 6
                  characters and decide how to dispose of the line. I was able to use it for
                  dumping blank lines and for finding days of the week. I could not figure
                  out how to search the array element for the presence of the colon, so I
                  reverted back to cursor placement.

                  Can I search the array element for the presence of a character? If not,
                  then perhaps I should dump the array all together.

                  Of course as this clip is likely to work as written, I could abandon the
                  effort, but it is in the search for knowledge that I enjoy the exercise.

                  ---
                  Don Passenger
                  mailto:dpasseng@...
                  personal: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                  work: http://www.grcourt.org
                  > Don, on my system, for some reason, your replace line wouldn't work.
                  > --------------------
                  > ^!If ^%Pos% > 0 SetTime ELSE AddTime
                  >
                  > :AddTime
                  > ; ^!Info addtime
                  > ; add time to lines where it is missing
                  > ^!SetCursor ^%LineNumber%:1
                  > ^!InsertText ^%Time%
                  > ; ^!Select LINE
                  > ; ^!Replace ^%Items^%LineNumber%% ^%Time%^%Items^%LineNumber%% H
                  > ^!Goto NextLine
                  >

                  > :SetTime
                  > -------------------
                  > So (as above) I commented it and another (total of 2) of your lines. The
                  inserttext worked for me.

                  > On a small file the clip did great.
                  >
                  > Also on a large file the array could it get rather large. I'm unsure if
                  that be a noteworthy factor or not. If that be a concern then Daniel could
                  comment out the two select lines near the very top of the clip and then
                  would just select part of the file manually prior to running the clip.

                  > As far as efficiency, less code: It was more efficient for me to play
                  with yours rather than umpteen hours on my part for me to start from
                  scratch.

                  > Regards. Alan.

                • Alan C.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 10, 2001
                    Hi Don,

                    >Can I search the array element for the presence of a character? If not,

                    I don't see why not.

                    :StartLineProcess
                    ^!Set %CurrentLineLeft%=^$StrCopy(^%Items^%LineNumber%%;0;6)$
                    ^!IfTrue ^$IsAlpha(^%CurrentLineLeft%)$ NextLine
                    ^!Set %Pos%=^$GetPosInField(^%CurrentLineLeft%;1;T;":")$
                    ^!Prompt ^%Pos%***^%CurrentLineLeft%
                    ------------------
                    U used the array to set currentlineleft for 6 chars. the colon would never be further than 6 from the left.

                    Did U try like above to see if works? In theory it should.

                    Some your other ques are beyond me.

                    Win 98SE NTP 4.85 here. Actually your replace line it ended up with duplicated twice parts of the line in immediate succession on the same line.

                    Alan.
                  • Alan C.
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 10, 2001
                      Oops

                      apologies. cancel that last one it needs a row or line number, not the contents of a variable as I had in error posted.

                      Alan.
                    • Michael Gerholdt
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 14, 2001
                        ^!SetCursor 1:1
                        :loop
                        ^!Find ^\d+\s RS
                        ^!IfError exit
                        ^!Jump -1
                        ^!Find ^\d+:\d+.m\s RS
                        ^!Set %tim%=^$GetSelection$
                        ^!Jump +1
                        ^!InsertText ^%tim%
                        ^!Goto loop

                        I'm sure this has been solved another way, but I think the above is
                        lightfooted and efficient.

                        [my email wasn't working a few days ago]

                        comments welcome.

                        Regards,
                        Michael Gerholdt
                        SUNY College at Fredonia

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 14, 2001
                          very nice
                          better than my solution (as usual *grin*)
                          nice use of regex search

                          ---

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 16, 2001
                            worked fine on mine
                            the dot is any character (because it could be Am or Pm)
                            and the m is the m in aM or pM
                            caps for emphasis

                            ---
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 16, 2001

                              -----------------

                              ;---------

                              --------------------
                              Sunday 7/15/01
                              1:00pm 105 USA Beer Money
                              5:00pm 11 FOX-W Stargate SG-1 - Crystal Skull
                              138 TNT The Mists of Avalon
                              140 TNT The Mists of Avalon
                              146 TNT The Mists of Avalon

                              Sunday 7/15/01
                              1:00pm 105 USA Beer Money
                              5:00pm 11 FOX-W Stargate SG-1 - Crystal Skull
                              138 TNT The Mists of Avalon
                              ---------------------

                              Alan.
                            • Alan C.
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 16, 2001
                                Hi Don,

                                ^!Find ^\d+:\d+.m\s RS

                                It was the \s
                                ------------------

                                ^!Find ^\d+:\d+.m RS

                                I just tested which works fine.

                                Mine sample schedule had a tab not a space next to the am or the pm

                                Probably had to do with the formatting of the sample schedule. Mine somehow had tabs, didn't use a space. Tweaked via email ghost or something perhaps or whatever.

                                Clarified, evidently.

                                Alan.

                                At 12:02 AM 7/17/01 -0400, you wrote:
                                >worked fine on mine
                                >the dot is any character (because it could be Am or Pm)
                                >and the m is the m in aM or pM
                                >caps for emphasis
                              • Michael Gerholdt
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 17, 2001

                                  > It was the \s
                                  >
                                  > Mine sample schedule had a tab not a space next to the am or the pm

                                  \s is supposed to match any space, tab, or newline character

                                  This looks like one of the areas that NoteTab's RegExp support is less than
                                  complete.

                                  replace \s with \s|\t

                                  (that's a pipe)

                                  This will tell it to match either a space or a tab. I find this to work in
                                  NTP.

                                  Mike
                                • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 19, 2001
                                    Dear Michael,

                                    In NoteTab \s is not supposed to match any space, tab or newline, I
                                    think you confuse it with \b.

                                    From HELP - Regular Expressions...

                                    The following sequences have special meaning
                                    \s space (ASCII #32)
                                    \t tab (ASCII #9)
                                    \b any blank (white) space including space, tab, form-feed, etc.
                                    Equivalent to [\s\t\f\n\r]

                                    Hugo