Re: [Clip] Columnar data display

  • thefrank
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hi Harvey,

      > > ...if you can lay your hands on that clip...

      There were several clips generated from that thread, built using
      different methods. While each method did the job, some were much
      faster that others, some just easier to use, and some more reliable.

      My notes say that Stephen, Wheeler, Dan, and myself were involved in
      that thread, but there may have been others. Seems I recall the
      person who started the thread was never heard from again...

      This is the clip I use now, which includes elements or methods from
      many of the submissions (watch for wrapped lines):

      ---------------------------------

      ^!Set %Count%=^$GetTextLineCount$
      ^!SetListDelimiter ":"
      ^!SetArray %ST%=^$GetDate(hh:nn:ss)$
      ^!Set %RightMargin%=^?[Set Right Margin nnn spaces=45]
      ^!Jump Doc_End
      ^!InsertText ^%NL%
      ^!Jump 1
      :LOOP
      ^!Set %ThisLine%=^$GetLineSize$
      ^!Set %MoveRight%=^$Calc(^%RightMargin%-^%ThisLine%)$
      ^!Set %StrFill%=^$StrFill(^%SPACE%;^%MoveRight%)$
      ^!Replace "{\d+\n}" >> "^%StrFill%\1" RS
      ^!IfError SHOWTIME
      ^!Goto Loop
      :SHOWTIME
      ^!SetArray %ET%=^$GetDate(hh:nn:ss)$
      ^!Set %Ssec%=^$Calc(^%ST3% + ^%ST2% * 60 + ^%ST1% * 3600)$
      ^!Set %Esec%=^$Calc(^%ET3% + ^%ET2% * 60 + ^%ET1% * 3600)$
      ^!If ^%Ssec%>^%Esec% ^!Inc %Esec% 86400
      ^!Set %secs%=^$Calc(^%Esec%-^%Ssec%)$
      ^!Set %hrs%=^$StrCopyRight("0^$Calc( ^%secs% DIV 3600)$";2)$
      ^!Set %min%=^$StrCopyRight("0^$Calc((^%secs%-3600*^%secs%DIV3600)
      DIV60)$";2)$
      ^!Set %sec%=^$StrCopyRight("0^$Calc( ^%secs% MOD 60)$";2)$
      ^!Info Lines Formatted:^t^%NL%^%NL%^%Count%^%NL%^%NL%Start Time:^t^%
      ST%^%NL%End Time:^t^%ET%^%NL%Run Time:^t^%hrs%:^%min%:^%sec%

      --------------------

      Regards,

      tf
    • Stephen Riddle
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
        thefrank wrote:

        > My notes say that Stephen, Wheeler, Dan, and myself were involved in
        > that thread, but there may have been others. Seems I recall the
        > person who started the thread was never heard from again...

        Seems like that happens a lot. Someone asks what they think is a simple
        question and a bunch of us get all excited and have fun.
        Would be nice to know if we answer the question though.
        <sigh>Guess manners can't be legislated. </sigh>
        T'care
        Stephen
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
          I have benefitted several times from people writing clips which were better,
          more advanced, worked when mine didn't. I often write directly to the
          person to thank them. Frankly, thank you type of messages are considered
          bad form on several of the lists I belong to because they don't advance the
          topic.

          It all depends on how quickly the help gets there .... and sometimes the
          clip is to achieve a one time data conversion or something so no matter how
          good it gets ... I had one like that a while back where on day two of the
          excitement I used the clip rendered by the "group" and on day three or so
          someone did it in about one line instead of the 25 the committee used.

          Sometimes the end product is awesome and used over and over. A good example
          of excitement paying off was when we started the "snatch a web-safe" color
          thread. We wrote a clip to get the color from an outside source (freeware
          program) and the frank instead writes a great clip to put the colors in the
          clip bar (which I need to go get again after a meltdown this weekend ....
          sigh hard disk wiped). I used the ultimate output. I was also duly
          impressed by the generate a page on the fly clip in the middle of the
          thread.

          thread:

          Anyway ... as it may get overlooked sometimes ... thanks to all for
          contributing to my specific questions on occaision and to my knowledge base
          every time I read one of your posts.

          Don Passenger
          mailto:dpasseng@...