[Clip] Converting FOLDOC

  • Piotr Bienkowski
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 1999
      Anybody tried converting FOLDOC (a mammoth dictionary file , 4+
      Megs) into outline and then into HTML?

      I succeeded as far as getting it into outline form goes, but then
      NTP hangs when converting it into an HTML file with cross
      references. (and that with a 366 Celeron CPU and 64 MB RAM)

      There are just above 11,000 outline headings in it.

      Any suggestions will be appreciated

      Piotr Bieńkowski
      www.virgo.com.pl/syntax/index.html

    • Dennis Partridge
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 1999
        At 05:21 PM 6/29/99 +0200, you wrote:
        >Anybody tried converting FOLDOC (a mammoth dictionary file , 4+
        >Megs) into outline and then into HTML?
        >
        >I succeeded as far as getting it into outline form goes, but then
        >NTP hangs when converting it into an HTML file with cross
        >references. (and that with a 366 Celeron CPU and 64 MB RAM)
        >
        >There are just above 11,000 outline headings in it.
        >

        >Any suggestions will be appreciated
        >
        >Piotr Bieñkowski
        >www.virgo.com.pl/syntax/index.html

        Hi Piotr,

        This answer takes a big assumption that you are using variables throughout
        the process of converting to html. We've had a discussion in prior postings
        concerning NoteTab's possible limitations when dealing with an extremely
        large amount of variables. Apparently the memory is not being rewritten,
        and the continued use of variables (with or without ^!ClearVariables
        command) eats up the available memory until the program slows and or hangs.
        I've been continuosly dealing with this problem, but am fortunate that I
        can work around it by sectioning off the data into smaller segments. I
        process the smaller segment, and then close NoteTab, and then reopen it and
        go through the process again. This seems to work well for me, though can be
        a drag at times.

        Is there any way for you to split the 4 meg file without altering the output?

        Dennis
        Dennis N. Partridge
        partridge@...

        The SurnameWeb
        http://www.surnameweb.org/
        Co-Founder and Team Leader

        The Partridge Nest (note new address!!!)
        http://www.partridgenest.com/
        Webmaster

      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 1999
          Hi Piotr,

          At 05:21 PM 6/29/1999 +0200, you wrote:
          >Anybody tried converting FOLDOC (a mammoth dictionary file , 4+
          >Megs) into outline and then into HTML?
          >
          >I succeeded as far as getting it into outline form goes, but then
          >NTP hangs when converting it into an HTML file with cross
          >references. (and that with a 366 Celeron CPU and 64 MB RAM)
          >
          >There are just above 11,000 outline headings in it.

          You just may be out of luck. It sounds as though you are hanging because
          you are way over the limit for outline topics/headings. From the help file:

          Create Outline Documents

          "You can have up to about 5400 headings per Outline document and a heading
          can contain many megabytes of information. An Outline file can
          theoretically have a maximum capacity of 2Gb."

          That 2GB size applies to NoteTab Lite/Std only. NoteTab Pro will limit you
          to 16MB.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...

        • Nicole Simon
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 1999
            Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
            > Anybody tried converting FOLDOC (a mammoth dictionary file , 4+
            > Megs) into outline and then into HTML?

            If you could give us a description of the format, perhaps we could give you
            an example how to deal with this in html. (probably with awk)

            afai understood the outlinefile is already there?

            Nicole

            --
            »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
            enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

          • Piotr.Bienkowski@ipaper.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 1999
              As there seems to be no way NTP can convert a 11000 headings big
              outline file I will convert it into 11,000 html files (;-) and set
              them up in a framed HTML layout.

              Strange that NTP lite / Std can take more than Pro ....

              Thanks Larry and others for your input

              Rgds

              Piotr Bienkowski,

              Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:26:58 -0500
              From: Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
              To: ntb-clips@egroups.com

              Hi Piotr,

              At 05:21 PM 6/29/1999 +0200, you wrote:
              >Anybody tried converting FOLDOC (a mammoth dictionary file , 4+
              >Megs) into outline and then into HTML?
              >
              >I succeeded as far as getting it into outline form goes, but then
              >NTP hangs when converting it into an HTML file with cross
              >references. (and that with a 366 Celeron CPU and 64 MB RAM)
              >
              >There are just above 11,000 outline headings in it.

              You just may be out of luck. It sounds as though you are hanging
              because
              you are way over the limit for outline topics/headings. From the help
              file:

              Create Outline Documents

              "You can have up to about 5400 headings per Outline document and a
              heading
              can contain many megabytes of information. An Outline file can
              theoretically have a maximum capacity of 2Gb."

              That 2GB size applies to NoteTab Lite/Std only. NoteTab Pro will
              limit you
              to 16MB.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...

              FreeShop is the #1 place for free and trial offers and great deals!
              Try something new and find out how you could win two round-trip
              tickets
              anywhere in the U.S.! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/368

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 1999
                Hi Piotr,

                > As there seems to be no way NTP can convert a 11000 headings big
                > outline file I will convert it into 11,000 html files (;-) and set
                > them up in a framed HTML layout.

                I suppose you will have a script do that for you. :-) I like
                using AppendToFile. I either use framennn.htm where nnn is
                imcremented for each file it extracts from the larger document in
                the loop or have it select and get a word like I have done for a
                dictionary and other things. I format each file in html as well
                in the same pass using ^$str[...](...)$.

                If you were trying to use the Outline feature to convert it to
                html afterwords with all the jumps in it you could split the file
                and in the second one just do a quick S&R on the #hypers in the
                second document. Something like "#0" to "#b0" but I would like
                frames myself for something that size. :)

                > Strange that NTP lite / Std can take more than Pro ....

                Those were the file size limits. An outline is a single file and
                acts the same way as far as the file size limit goes for the
                different versions.

                Happy NoteTabbin',
                Jody Adair

                The NoteTabbers Assistant Page