Re: [Clip] Filters for dates other than the current date.

  • Alan C.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
      Hi John,

      >Does anyone knows how to input a date, not the current date, and then
      >to output that date into a document using a different format?
      >
      >For example, suppose I enter 04/16/2001 into an input field using a
      >mask, and that I want to paste that date into a document as it would
      >appear in a long format.. Which in this case would be Monday, April
      >16, 2001..
      >
      >Any ideas?

      2 whole, separate ideas rolled off the plow. The 2nd would probably have a smaller "relational file". Perhaps someone knows an easier way than either of these 2.

      1. Make a "relational file" that's delimited with some sort of delimiter. 12 sections (labels) or 12 different files, one for ea month of 2001. When send your chosen input query to that file which, for example, finds your first (date) format to be residing at a certain label on line number 34 which has meaning, it means/equates to the text residing on output line number 134. On line number 134 just happens to reside the equivalent of line number 34 but it is in your 2nd (date) format. Output a copy of the new/replacement equivalent from line number 134.

      Or

      2. Have a different "relational file" than the above. This "relational file" would only have ea day of the month in your output style of date format; it would be delimited and have a unique, perhaps numbered, identifier for ea day. Need "# of days for ea month" (to adjust per ea month). Use Ntab function to get current date. Use Ntab calc (Ntab math function) gets difference. And the difference is in relation to today's date. The difference has meaning; it means go to today's unique identifier in the "relational file" but go to the difference. Do not go to today. For example: today minus 12 days when checked against the "# days per mo" ouputs the unique identifier number 22. Just happens to be that your desired output resides at unique identifier number 22.

      Regards. Alan.
    • JohnZeman@operamail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2001
        Thanks Jody and Alan. This tells me the primariy thing I was
        wondering about, that there is no simple solution to this date
        question of mine.. It's not a real problem for me, it's just that
        I'm so used to NoteTab being able to do just about anything, that
        when I do stumble across one of its limitations, I tend to think I'm
        missing something..

        Thanks again..
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2001
          Hi John,

          >Thanks Jody and Alan. This tells me the primariy thing I was
          >wondering about, that there is no simple solution to this date
          >question of mine. It's not a real problem for me, it's just
          >that I'm so used to NoteTab being able to do just about anything,
          >that when I do stumble across one of its limitations, I tend to
          >think I'm missing something.

          I know exactly what you mean. :) In fact, some of the time I
          might know of some software that is better suited for the job,
          some of which I might have installed already. I do it with
          NoteTab though just because I like the challenge. ;) I did not
          say it is impossible to do though and perhaps easy for a
          programmer.

          The only way I would know to do it would be to make a predefined
          array with 365 days in it containing Sunday-Saturday for each of
          the days. the other info you needed would not be a problem.
          Anyway, count me out for typing all that up. ;)

          http://www.notetab.net

          http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
        • cchaltain@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2001
            I've always found date manipulation, especially in C and AWK, to be pretty
            tricky. Perl, however, has some slick date manipulation functions. It's
            been awhile, but I know I've done just what you want to do in a line or
            two of Perl. Since NoteTab has a Perl interface, maybe you could use that
            for your solution.

            It's been awhile since I've programmed in Perl, and I've never used the
            Perl interface in NoteTab, so I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge of
            the subject. I hope this helps!

            Christopher

            Christopher J Chaltain
            cchaltain@...

            JohnZeman@...
            06/05/2001 05:59 PM
            Please respond to ntb-clips

            To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
            cc:
            Subject: Re: [Clip] Filters for dates other than the current date.

            Thanks Jody and Alan. This tells me the primariy thing I was
            wondering about, that there is no simple solution to this date
            question of mine.. It's not a real problem for me, it's just that
            I'm so used to NoteTab being able to do just about anything, that
            when I do stumble across one of its limitations, I tend to think I'm
            missing something..

            Thanks again..

          • Stephen Riddle
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2001
              Hi John
              There's not a date Object in clip language. It would be simple case of
              re-interpreting all the date data.
              It would be a nice clip but if I did it rather long.
              Stephen